Reviews for Lonely Watches
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 11/8/2015
how much the company of a friend can ease the loneliness of the heart. gandalf picked the right time to offer his much needed company!
PSW chapter 1 . 9/4/2015
So...hmm. Speaking as a single person (by contented choice :-), you have definitely managed to catch the darker, wearier side of a single person's persona here. Especially the lack of physical contact that so often occurs - I have now moved closer to my family, and made a joke out of 'hug your single people' w my church friends...but I remember well how draining that lack of physical contact can be. You have also, however, wonderfully captured the cherished joy of good friendship. So much of fanfic (and other entertainment, and sometimes real life), insists on making romance out of any visible instance of friendship, and it makes me a little sad because I don't know if people realize the real beauty of a good friendship... :-) All right, now that I've grown just as maudlin as Aragorn here - all this to say that this was a beautiful piece, and brought both an ache and a smile. Thanks as always for your wonderful writing!
Pol chapter 1 . 7/14/2015
I utterly adore this story. It's such a wonderfulrelationship between Gandal and Aragorn, not to mention a window on a time we don'tget to see a lot of: Aragorn as Ranger. And just wonderfully-written, to boot!
Elwaith chapter 1 . 1/16/2015
It is because of stories like this that I like "slice of life" stories about Rangers. They do a lot of hard, difficult work that not many would be able to do, and so often that is ignored and unheeded. They remind me of what Supernatural hunters would be, if they lived in Tolkien's world. (That is high praise, in case you wonder)
Artura chapter 1 . 11/21/2014
I liked this. A friend in need ...
MomKiply chapter 1 . 5/1/2014
Wonderful, wonderful! Beautiful wordsmithing, and great depth of understanding. I have new insights into the Rangers and into Aragorn, his role, his relationships - thanks to you. Also - Makes me wonder about the Rangers after the King is on his throne...how did their lives change? Did they all get to settle down? Anyway, I just love Aragorn as you write him. Totally in the spirit of the master who created him. Bravo.
xsilicax chapter 1 . 1/26/2014
Type your review here...
DaisyIsATroublemakerThisSeason chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
A great story. Very well written.
Tunip chapter 1 . 3/10/2011
Dear Canafinwe,

I had not reviewed this story before out of pure laziness and I apologise for this. Today I am being a good girl and will try and catch up on my overdue reviews.

This is a wonderful one shot that evokes the loneliness of a ranger's life beautifully.

'To slip into gentle visions of fellowship and warmth and marital bliss, visited by images of children who might never be born, and then to awaken cold and alone in the freezing forest would be more than he could bear.' This made my heart ache in particular. We all know that one day he will have everything that he dreams of but he has no idea what the future will bring.

The practicalities of how Dunedain society would be organised had not really occurred to me until I read your story. Of course the men need to get home to their families at harvest time. Your depiction really brought their world to life for me.

I loved Aragorn's response to Gandalf's embrace - every living being needs physical affection, and the heir of Isildur is no different. I feel you have fleshed out in his character what Tolkien only ever hints at. We are never really allowed inside Aragorn's head, or any of his other characters save the Hobbits for that matter. You have made Aragorn human and accessible while maintaining his status as an epic hero.

Your depiction of the relationship between Gandalf and Aragorn is wonderful and believable and feels utterly canon. I got a taste of it at the beginning of 'A Long and weary way' and it was nice to see more of it.

Thank you for a wonderful tale.

Yours Tunip
Darkover chapter 1 . 11/20/2010
Another delightful story! You write h/c well. You are very good both at expressing emotion, particularly loneliness and unhappiness, and writing physical descriptions as well. It was nice to read of a reunion between two friends, the Ranger and the Wizard, and read of Aragorn's loneliness, hunger, cold, and worry being assuaged. Thanks for writing and posting this. Sincerely, Darkover
miladyRanger chapter 1 . 9/10/2010
This rings so true to me that I cried. (And that's saying a lot!) Our favorite Ranger can't be invincible all the time, after all. And you portrayed his loneliness and the weight that he carries marvelously well. Thank you for this wonderful story! It really means a lot to me.
LisaG16 chapter 1 . 6/16/2010
Loved this! Poor Aragorn...what a lonely and weighty life he's led so far and will continue to lead. This was a nice little respite from his trials. :)
Eavis chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
Ah, mellon nin, mellon nin, truly this is the work of a master.

Le hannon.

Eavis
Emily chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
Nice. I liked the Elvish tossed in there at the end of sections. I've been listening to Aragorn's coronation oath, and as a product, I am learning small tidbits of Sindarin! Yay! So I know that "metta" is "end" or "ending," or at least approximately. So that's cool. I don't know what "lar" meant, but I have a feeling that it was something to the tune of "the next day," etc. So, thanks for that. I was so happy to put my very small experience speaking Sindarin to work. : )
RS1 chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
Aragorn's frustrations and irritations just mirrored my feelings on how the Dunedain's have been treated! AARRGGH!

Just reading the description of the life of the Dunedain just left me...drained. (I already used the words "frustrated and irritated"). It's a wonder these folks still had hope! And that's what really kept them going, wasn't it?

But what really got me was "to slip into... warmth and marital bliss" "images of children who might never be born" and the to awaken cold and alone".. just filled me with sadness.

I'm so glad that my favorite ranger at least received a brief visit from Gandalf; it seems that Gandalf always knows when Aragorn is in need of companionship. I love their banter.

Brilliantly written.

I just finished reading "The Valley is Jolly"..Wow! I need to collect my thoughts so I can write a review".. so much emotions and thoughts going through my head when I read this!