Reviews for The Marksman
Debby-1957 chapter 13 . 2/13/2012
“that worshed up gunslinger” My husband teases me because this is how I pronounce ‘wash’. Worsh my hands, worsh the dishes, etc.

The AN for this chapter was especially funny!
Debby-1957 chapter 12 . 2/13/2012
‘Girly girl’ Wasn’t that phrase used by the obnoxious salesman (anvil?) in “Music Man”?

I have really been enjoying all the old-fashioned words and phrases!
Debby-1957 chapter 11 . 2/13/2012
Some nice phrases: “His eyes blazed with verdant desire as he lowered his lips to hers.” Wow, it was verdant!

"Woman! Get the other stick and lift this confounded rock off of me!"

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" Hah! You can just hear this being said!

And the best one: "Doggone it all woman. I care for you somethin' fierce."
Debby-1957 chapter 10 . 2/13/2012
This was nice: “He was amazed at how important this woman had become to him in such a short time. Then he realized that she always had been; he'd just lost touch with her for a while. Just as he had lost touch with himself for a time, and the man he used to be, the man he now wanted to be for her.”

As usual, the AN was entertaining. I liked the raising your arms in the front of the rollercoaster. And “I just love a manly man, and Ward is the manliest of the manly.”
Debby-1957 chapter 9 . 2/13/2012
Those were very good kisses! * Sigh *
Debby-1957 chapter 8 . 2/13/2012
You are having way too much fun writing this! I liked, "I reckon that's so." and “unmentionables” and “The Valentines don't cotton to anyone thwartin' their plans, especially someone who double crossed them”

The author’s notes were so funny, especially these parts:

Bel & Mel: * Sigh *

Sweetthunder: * Rolls her eyes *
Debby-1957 chapter 7 . 2/13/2012
Two bits I liked: “a cotton-pickin' thing.” and “extraordinarily cross.”
Debby-1957 chapter 6 . 2/13/2012
This chapter had a single word paragraph said it all, as Izy fell into Eddie’s arms: “Well.” I can just hear it, kind of drawn out, with a bit of inuendo thrown in.

I loved hearing the old-fashioned ‘Darn’.

This bit was really nice: “he stood up for her, it wasn't because of who she was, but rather because of who he was.”

This was funny in the AN: “Happy Festivus for the restivus.”
Debby-1957 chapter 5 . 2/13/2012
Chapter 5 had so many things that gave me such a huge smile. A few examples:

"Worst day ever Alice! Put that one on your list of bad predictions."

"Boss! Boss!" hollered Hank.

“You ninnies”

“James walked casually around the porch, rolling a piece of hay between his fingers before sticking it in his mouth.”

“The two story building stood by itself, its windows and doors thrown wide open, allowing the loud, jaunty, piano music and general ruckus to spill into the dimming street.”

“Well shoot. Fifty bucks in gold just for showing up?”

"Well I'll be a monkey's uncle!"

A '20-foot tall Robward Cullenson'. Ha ha ha!
Debby-1957 chapter 4 . 2/13/2012
Devil’s Fork. That’s another imaginative use of the name. And there are always place names with ‘devil’ as part of it.

I love Hank and Rufus. They are straight out of central casting! “This'uns a Flimflammer if I ever seen one." Ha ha! Actually, I’ve heard ‘You’uns’ instead of ‘you all’ in Missouri.

I liked this: "Dagnabbit! James, you hollered and got me rattled!" Hank yelled indignantly. "I git to go again."
Debby-1957 chapter 3 . 2/13/2012
“Arrow Valentine”. That’s a great variation for the name. Poor Bella, but what an interesting gift or talent she has. Jacob seems nice. I love it in stories like this that we see all the characters but it's like being in a parallel universe. I also love how Bella and Edward are always 'destined' to overcome everything and be together.
Debby-1957 chapter 2 . 2/13/2012
This had some grim stuff happen, but it showed Edward’s character. I loved it when he ordered ‘sodie-pop’, ‘sasparilla’. It reminded me of a very early John Wayne movie, called “The Man from Utah”, if I remember right. He would go into the saloon and order a glass of milk. He also serenaded his girl.
Debby-1957 chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
A very interesting beginning! You’ve done a good job with the old-fashioned language; it fits the setting very well. One of the things I like about your story is that it seems like you’re having a lot of fun writing it.

I love how the AN starts:

Mel: Hey Belly?

Bel: Yes Melly?
QueenAnnie1 chapter 15 . 2/5/2012
I absolutely loved it!

Gunslinger Edward is one of my favorites! :)
My Friend Alice chapter 1 . 2/5/2012
So did your inspiration come from Quigley Down Under? I love that movie. I can't wait to read more. I am a fan!
658 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »