Reviews for Crossroads of Light and Shadow
PSW chapter 1 . 10/28/2015
Ooo...very good. I enjoyed this, it was really very different, with all the audial and visual cues throughout... Enjoyed, thanks!
forTheLoveOfHades chapter 1 . 1/17/2013
so incredibly cool! the up and down thing and all the sound effects...! amazing!
Marchwriter chapter 1 . 11/30/2011
A very daring fic, splendidly done. Like a shape-poem, almost.
Arilh chapter 1 . 8/27/2010
oh, this is quite interesting!
StarLight9 chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
This story has been on my 'to read' list for ages, and finally I get to it. It's brilliant! Very original and unpredictable! And I don't think I've seen the Mewlips in another fanfiction story; I'm really glad you used them in such an interesting way! Tolkien left us so many devises to torture our characters, and yet we see the same ones all the time - orcs, spiders, orcs, spiders, and occasionally evil men, trolls or wargs. The mewlips are so much better! Poor Aragorn - to think that he would die not by a weapon, but by claws and teeth, and would be then made into a necklace... hehehe, poor, poor huggable, cuddlable, hurt/comfortable thing - your cruelty to him knows no bounds, and I don't mind at all!

I loved how you described the feeling of loss, as if a pain in a missing limb, but at the same time he doesn't know what is missing. Hmm, how is one supposed to notice that his shadow is missing? I never pay much attention to it to be honest, but I think after reading this story I'll often keep checking if mine is still here :D

I knew Aragorn would choose death to letting his darker self torment the world, and I knew that it would be his release, because he is the master of his choices once again. And I have to say I am very happy that you gave us a chance to see what he could have become - a dark lord, terrible, yet powerful. It's always interesting to consider what could have been, and the image of him as a dark lord makes me shudder. But his heart is too pure and noble (otherwise he would have never let us, the authors, do all those mean things to him; he would somehow crawl out of Middle-earth, and cut us all down with his sword; if he can tolerate us, then he is noble and pure beyond my imagination :))

And I so so so much love love love Aragorn and Gandalf friendship, and seeing Gandalf care for a sick and feverish Aragorn, and worry about him! Wonderful work!
Guest chapter 1 . 7/20/2010
I just read the first things aboput steps and I realy like it

It is like while we are alive we are sucked in but when we die it is like we weren't even there

Makes us think what is important
Ragnelle chapter 1 . 4/13/2010
Somehow I must have missed reviewing this when I first read it. I am not sure why.

I really liked it, and the way you played with the graphics and the sounds. Really good!

I happened to find a recording of Tolkien reading the Mewlip-poem on youtube, thought you might like to hear it:

/watch?vaGctGyCDGYA&featurerelated
Emily chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
I forgot to mention: loved the visual effects! They must have taken ages to construct properly, but I'm glad you did! The one where Aragorn's trying to decide which path to take was the coolest, even if some of the options provided didn't really make sense until you looked at them just the right way ('decisions' in particular gave me a hard time...I didn't think of backwards). Very cool!
Emily chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
Freaky beyond belief. Yikes. : /

“Aragorn!”

Yes… that was his name… was he expected to do something about it?

Ha, the only moment of humor in the whole thing, and boy, was I glad for it!
yamina-chan chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
This was awsome in it's own way.

No wonder this story won
Elenothar chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
Your use of sounds and imaginations was very...interesting to say the least ;)

I didn't even know you could do these things with a writing programme :P

Great job!
Lirulin-yirth-k'aio chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
I lived through this story so long before it wasfinished that now I still feel like being there... (it is becoming my way of reviewing, I'm afraid;)). So what could I say? It's again the same - watching and not being able to do anything to help... (well, Mirach, you know I was trying and still try!) But he managed to help himself better, for the choices we make can't be made by anyone but us...

Special respect for the visual effects and... for everything. For once again helping me to find myself too.

P.S. Congrats on winning!
Ocean's Nocturne of the COCA chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
Oh. My. Gosh. The effects were amazing! How long did you spend on this?

And I love the poems you drew from! I remember reading those; I never really got it... oh well. This was a brilliant idea, to combine the two. :)

Keep writing!

~emyx
Canafinwe chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
I love this story! The sensory aspects are exquisite! It's such a creative piece... and I'm amazed that you managed to get the formatting to work!

You are so brave to take on a story like this, and you pull it off so well! I'm in awe once more of your skill and your prowess! Now on to reviewing the story itself.

Ugh, the midges were making me itch! The first part of this story is so perfectly evocative of a miserable day tramping through the mud and the wet. The repetition, both of the sounds and of the ever more persistent "Gollum... Gollum!... Gollum!", speaks to mounting confusion and growing delerium (though of course we don't know that yet). The descriptions of the cold and the rain are tremendously effective. I cringed at the image of Aragorn so coated in mud that he smears it over his face when he tries to rub the water from his eyes.

I have to say that the "sinking... squirsh... pulling" wave is my favourite of your pictoral poetry.

The second part of the story is absolutely chilling. I adore how you took these two (profoundly creepy!) poems and wove them together into this magnificent, nightmarish occurence. I say "occurence" because when first I read it I did not realize what it was. The moment where he loses himself and no longer knows which path he came down was particularly striking.

Knowing what I do now, the wandering is even more painful. You give us what occurs in Aragorn's mind, but on a second reading I cannot help but see him staggering alone through the marshes, lost and bewildered and growing ever more terrified... ack. You write these things so well!

I love, love, LOVE your use of "The Mewlips". I love that poem, and you use it so well. From the gorcrows to the "squish-flap-flip", and all the rest... awesome!

It's so disconcerting to see Aragorn's terror - even more disconcerting than the frightful images themselves. The taunting of the shadow-thief is terrifying, but moreso is the thought of Aragorn covering his ears!

The "SHADOW...LIGHT" sequence so perfectly drew us out of the panic and into the sudden breaking of the nightmare. Again let me reiterate how courageous and creative you are to turn out a story like this! Thank you for sharing it with us!

I love the last part of the story, too. How dreadful it must have been for Gandalf to find his friend in such a state: the "most hardy of living men"; who would expect to find him in such condition. I also enjoyed the idea of him browbeating some poor cart-driver into carrying a mud-soaked and delerious Ranger into town. What Butterbur must have thought when they turned up!

Hopefully they can tarry for a few days while Aragorn recovers his strength. His relief at awakening to discover that he is free and well, with his shadow still attached is so palpable. I shared it too.

Fantastic story! I love it. Bravo: you've outdone yourself yet again!
Aelaer chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
I have a few things to say about this...

The visual effects were definitely very interesting, but while they make a wonderful difference in normal story telling, the story is still strong without them. I especially love how you drew in Mewlips and the Shadow character- I knew of the former but not the latter, but was still so surprised to see them there. I do believe this is one of my favorite short stories in the fandom.

I was also quite unaware that the author was you- you have grown quite a lot as an author when I first started watching you early this year. Indeed, I would say that it is one of the fastest improvements I've ever seen in an author on this website. Your English still needs a little work (mostly with tenses here and there), but what especially stands out are your beautiful descriptions- your earlier stories did not draw nearly as fascinating a picture as they do now. While you have always had interesting concepts, your execution has improved tenfold.

I look forward to your future stories. Keep up the excellent work.