Reviews for Pale Faced Tark
Rae Simmons chapter 2 . 8/9/2010
The little addition of the appendix made a spectacular difference; it gave the story so much more life, and meaning where it could've been over looked in the original piece.
LisaG16 chapter 2 . 6/16/2010
Interesting story...Aragorn learns yet another lesson not to prejudge everyone of a certain race, it will help when he becomes king. Also, he learns what is truly important...his life, not a ring, no matter how sentimental it's value.
lindahoyland chapter 2 . 1/27/2010
I found this an outstanding story at Teitho and am pleased you have added to it here. It is not comfortable reading, but very,very good and has haunted me since I read it. You made me feel Aragorn's pain.
Alex chapter 2 . 11/13/2009
That was absolutely lovely. Thank you.
Lirulin-yirth-k'aio chapter 2 . 10/31/2009
All is well that ends well, right? And you really should have published this piece not just because it tells how he survived, but because of the last sentences... I am grateful for them. Grateful like he was for shelter and water.
Eavis chapter 2 . 10/27/2009
This is absolutely incredible. The word that comes to mind is Power. Raw power.

Bado go ErĂ¼,

Eavis
Emily chapter 2 . 10/23/2009
That was a brilliant story. Thank you so much! I loved it. Yes, the ending of Chapter One left me knowing that Aragorn would survive, but I didn't know HOW, which is an extremely relevant question when Aragorn is tied up in the middle of the desert without water, food, or friendship.
Mirach chapter 2 . 10/22/2009
Finally I can review this! I had no time until yesterday, and then, when I had it already written, FFN said "error, sorry..." and deleted it... But I'm stubborn, too! :D What I wanted to say is that I'm glad that you have written this appendix. Now the story feels complete, and you have dispersed my worries (almost...)

I like the paragraph where he comares the gentle northern Sun to this God of Death. Actually I like this symbolic in the whole story. And while experiencing such cruelty, he finds himself a war criminal! He regrets the deaths of innocents that he couldn't prevent... after a day of torment! That is just so Aragorn-like...

Then you are breaking my heart with "Did they not understand that he needed water?" Did they not understand? They did... but didn't care, because he is a tark... I really don't like that man in the russet robes! How can he be so cruel do deny him access to the well now? The next paragraphs are so painful!

And as I said before, you really shocked me with the idea of Aragorn having to give up the ring of Barahir! Tolkien often underlined the meaning and tradition of such heirlooms in the history of Middle-earth, that it almost feels wrong to part with it. But that is what led to the fall of Doriath... Aragorn is wiser, and knows that however great its price, it can never have the price of life. That was a very deep message of the story, and maybe the most important.

And the end... he turned South! Not North, South! What a small change, and how it changes the meaning! The God of Death didn't break him, and despite what they have done to him, he has still something to learn about these people, he wants to learn about them... Maybe it was the old man that influenced this decision at the crossroads. By the change of this one word, you created another message of the story. Awesome!
RS1 chapter 2 . 10/20/2009
And I thought chapter 1 was hard to read! Aragorn...crawling..? This left no room for imagination. Everything was there for the reader. I just cringed at every description.

I just wanted to cry at the end. My heart goes out to the old man.. I just want to hug him and say "thank you". His character is so endearing and realistic that you've got me worrying about him during the war (and he's just a character in a story!) I know Aragorn will be ok, but will he?

This old man not only showed kindess towards Aragorn but also made him see the other side of the "enemy".

This was beautiful. I am so glad you wrote this epilogue.
Gord and V chapter 2 . 10/20/2009
Beautiful, amazing from first word to last. Your details were perfect, I could see everything so easily. It was quite nice to see not everyone was so cruel to Aragorn, just a little kindness goes so far.

Peace out boy scout,

Gord and V
Alone Dreaming chapter 2 . 10/20/2009
I may have read this on the teitho website but it did not have this last bit there or I missed it or I did not finish it. Whatever happened, I found this to be excellent in the second reading. Well-written, canon, excellent characterization.

Bravo.

-A. Dreaming
Inzilbeth of the Dunedain chapter 2 . 10/20/2009
Ah I was thinking of exactly that quote as I was reading this!

I'm so glad you posted this sequel, Canafinwe. It really was too unbearable to leave Aragorn as he was. He may not yet be healed but he is in a lot better shape, thankfully.

You so drew me into this story with your brilliant writing and great descriptions and I feel you captured Aragorn's thoughts perfectly. I too feel he would have been sickened by the brutality of war and would bitterly regret it, no matter how much it might be a necessity. And it's very reasonable to think he would come across people who had been affected by that raid at Umbar. Of course he would encounter kindness too and I wonder if that affected his decision to make peace with harad once he was king. That's an interesting question about why the ring came to Elros and not Elrond. [I must post my version one day!]

Thank you so much for posting this sequel. It's a marvellous story though I won't say it's all been a pleasure as it was painful to read at times, but, as always, you've done an excellent job!
cairistiona7 chapter 2 . 10/20/2009
I'm so glad you posted this appendix... or even an epilogue, if you will. It completes the tale in a wonderfully satisfying way, and the quote at the end ties it wonderfully to canon, giving that line so much weight for the possibility that he could have earned that wisdom through this very hard experience. I felt so for him when in desperation he gave up the Ring of Barahir in exchange... and felt my own tears prick when the old man gave the ring back. Simply wonderful, and now all my questions are very happily answered... except for that all important one of "What will you write next?" :)
avidreader-new chapter 2 . 10/20/2009
very powerful and moving yet realistic. Just so you know, I like your other stories too.
Elenothar chapter 2 . 10/20/2009
Yes, now I like the old man even more! Though I wonder how much he guessed about Aragorn...
43 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »