Reviews for My Path
aja aron chapter 1 . 8/23/2013
I very much enjoyed this. Your use of passages from the book to advance and flesh out the tone of the story, as well as provide a solid backdrop, was extremely effective. Your own prose had a nice cadence to it which I felt fit the characters and yet gave us as the readers that increased pathos as was required to really pull us into Legolas's internal struggle. I loved the realization you had Legolas come to at the end, that clarified what he already knew - that being left behind would be worse than the sacrifice he was making.

As you depicted Legolas struggling with this, for some reason I couldn't help but think of Halbarad who sensed his death beyond that path but like Legolas, took it anyway.

Thanks for a wonderful tale.
nilaea chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
wow, i love this story! its amazing how well it fits into the book and i love the strong feelings :) i hope there will be a sequel.
Ochoika chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
I love that ! I's so true, so expresive .. well, perfect !

And legolas'fellings are very strong .. and Aragorn who look at him so long ..

;-) 3
Vendie of Rivendell chapter 1 . 2/1/2010
This was fantastic! I really enjoy the depth you added to Legolas' character through the story, and your writing is superb. I really enjoyed this!
Escape my reality chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
wow. that was really good :) i liked how you mixed in passages from the book with your own words. will you write another one shot where aragorn finds out about the sea-longing?
elflingskitten chapter 1 . 10/29/2009
That was just beautiful, Starlight9.

There is another fandom I am obsessed with, because I NEED the H/C, but surely there is none more difficult to write for than this one. Your writing is beautiful, the Tolkien-English is perfect, and most important, the friendship is centerpiece. Thanks so much.
vectis chapter 1 . 10/29/2009
Lovely story Star.

I've never really understood why Legolas took the path that he did, when he had so much to lose, but I thought you captured the turmoil and doubts that he must have gone though in making the decision beautifully.
KickUpSomeDust chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
Wow. That was unbelievably well written. I am speechless. I will have to read more of your work
Caunoiech chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
SEQUEL. I want a follow-up of the lovely angst-filled-ness that would be Aragorn figuring this out, to which you so enticingly alluded in the twins' dialogue.

Well, even if you do not, this was an excellent story. Good job.
Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
I liked this a lot. You presented a choice for Legolas in a way that I had never thought of before. It makes his final decision even more poignant.
triolet chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
Good character study piece. Might have been better if there were less quotations as it did feel at times that your voice was being dominanted by Tolkien's due to the difference in style. This Legolas sounded much younger, more human like. I particularly liked his relationship with the twins as it's not something you get to see in the book. Good balance with his relationship with Gimli. Poor Aragorn not realising. He'll kick himself when he does. Interesting but rely on your own voice more. Thanks.
Mirach chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
A wonderful story! I think that this was the most important crossroad for Legolas in his entire life, and you show us all his thoughts, the entire process of making that fateful decision amazingly. It is so very believable that he didn't make the decision in one moment, he had doubts, he was not sure which parth to take. And then there were all those moments that influenced his decision, many of them we know from the books, but I've never thought about it how they could influence Legolas. And at the end it were Eowyn's words about love that helped him to overcome his doubts and make peace with himself and his final decision. I really liked that moment!
Silivren Tinu chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
That was a wonderful story, mellon-nin! Poor Legolas - what a terrible choice to make, though I guess in his heart he knew from the beginning that there was really only one decision he could make. Still, it must have been so hard to keep silent, especially when Aragorn asked him what was wrong and Legolas wanted nothing more than to just tell him.

I loved that scene between the two of them, and I also loved that Gimli realized there was something wrong and tried to make Legolas tell him what it was, too. I also liked that Elladan and Elrohir were aware of the danger Legolas was placing himself in when following Aragorn through the Path of the Dead, too.

You did a really great job of merging the book and your own version of events here. I'll always have to think about this story when I read the books now. ;-) It was a great idea that Legolas overheard the conversation between Aragorn and Eowyn and that it made him realize without a doubt that his decision was right and that her fate was actually worse than the one which awaited him. His determination to not leave Aragorn and not burden his friend with what that decision would mean for him was so sweet. *hugs elf and starts melting* It's so sad that there was no other way for him... though I guess it also highlights the strength of their friendship and his love for his friend. *sigh*

Loved it! :)
Elenothar chapter 1 . 10/18/2009
Beautiful one-shot! A great resonse to the challenge.

But I have to admit that I would be surprised if Aragorn hadn't noticed anything of Legolas' plight, at least when they actually reached the sea...
lotus325 chapter 1 . 10/17/2009
This is so very beautiful, Star! I love it so.

Every time I read anything from you, I always feel good about it because everything is so wonderfully done. Amazingly written, characters are in-character, and always entertaining in some way or another, as you know I love angst. ~_

I liked your format very much. The fact that you used italics to indicate the text that was taken from the book was a good idea, in my view. Not many people do that, so it was very neat that you did.

I liked the way you further explained what kind of turmoil Legolas, Aragorn, and all the others were going through. I find in the books, it didn't really do that much. It did in many occasions, but for some it didn't really focus much on doing that as much as giving us the idea of what was mainly happening instead of what they were mainly feeling. I can try to understand why though. Tolkien might have thought it was beginning to become too long or maybe for other personal reasons... or maybe no reasons! Whatever the reason, I don't mind; the books are still brilliant!

Anyway, thank you for posting another lovely fic. I haven't been reading much, but I'm so happy to have able to begin again with this.

Take care of yourself, mellon nin, and I wish you more good luck in your studies. Talk to you later.

~Aine .