Reviews for Graveyard Shift
Mr. Martin chapter 7 . 3/15/2010
Awesome chapter!

I like how you split up the team to follow both path's of the investigation, makes much more sense than in the game.

Of course writing Wrex is too much fun. He's a Krogan who's spent almost every day of his life since the rebellions traveling the galaxy and killing things. I quote him from ME2 "Us against the unknown. Killing it with big guns! Good times." That one line expresses Wrex's entire worldview.

Next time: our heroes take the fight to Fist, and kick lots and lots or mercenary ass.
Costin chapter 7 . 3/15/2010
SO...your Shepard is renegade or a mix between Paragon and Renegade?
DarthNacho chapter 7 . 3/14/2010
Well done. I have nothing to say because that was made of pure awesomeness. Thanks for that.
Bluesnowman chapter 7 . 3/14/2010
great stuff
ViktorMayrin chapter 7 . 3/14/2010
Because Wrex is awesome. Seriously.

And So is Garrus. But then, just about everyone in Mass Effect is awesome.
pacificuser chapter 7 . 3/14/2010
Nice! I hope you also update your CNC fic!
SSJ-Alhazred chapter 6 . 3/10/2010
Enjoying the hell out of this. I've been meaning to read something of yours since coming across the articles on your stuff over at TVTropes, and never got around it it from sheer lazyness; catching something from you as it just starts was a good way of fixing that.

The liberties you've taken with canon are all appropriate and contribute to the narrative positively so far; you seem rather worried about it in your notes sometimes, so I figured I should mention you haven't cocked up on that. :) This is a true adaptation in every sense of the word, making changes where appropriate for the medium or for improving spotty parts of the game's narrative, while staying true to the source material in feeling, intent and spirit. The lampshade hanging every now and then is nicely clever, as if the way you manage to make game mechanics fit the fluff in ways the game either didn't have time to or didn't even bother attempting. I had myself a clear mental image of Shepard getting his rifle training as a supplemental exercise in the middle of his career just because the atmosphere made it believable that such a thing could be justifiable instead of a game mechanic thrown in for the hell of it. (And it's also an entertaining mental image of Shepard poking through the New Game specialization menu and scratching his head over what to pick.)

And your Shepard couldn't be better suited to a novelization because he's not one of the purely specialized classes, and he's not fully entrenched in one side of the morality system. His class makes him much more interesting to read about (maybe an Adept would be doable, but an Engie or a Soldier would be incredibly boring) and his lack of a solid alignment of means that I don't know what he's going to do next regardless of how many times I've been through the game. I don't know if you did this on purpose or if it just mirrors your favorite playthrough, but it hardly matters, because it works nicely.

I eagerly await every update, and I pray you'll dive into a novelization of the second game when this is done.
Svenlax45 chapter 1 . 3/3/2010
Cheers to a 7 year and week long career on FanFiction!

I've been following you since you did FFVI and Zelda, both of which I hope you will still continue and not lose them to the eternal depths of boredom and disinterest. Those stories are stellar.

Which brings us to this Mass Effect story. I've never played Mass Effect and now that I'm reading your novelization I probably won't have to!

Anyway, I love the way this is playing out, I can see everything you're describing. The descriptions of the battles are excellent, fluid, and vivid.

Keep on, keeping on!
Datakim chapter 6 . 3/1/2010
Looking really good so far. One of the better novelizations out there about ME. Everything is nice and realistic. I think you have mixed game dialog with your own in such a smooth way that it reads really well and feels quite "fresh" despite the fact that I have played the game and know whats happening.

I am looking forward to the next chapter.
Mr. Martin chapter 6 . 3/1/2010
Good chapter,

I love how you give each character their own introduction (Wrex's in my favorite). I recently heard the Citadel News Net story that mentions Councilor Valern (that's how it's spelled in the game) and you're right, it does sound Turian.

Can't wait for your next chapter.

Hugh D. Martin
Bluesnowman chapter 5 . 2/22/2010
good stuff.
Mr. Martin chapter 5 . 2/22/2010
Great chapter.

I had always wondered what happened on Torfan that half the squad was lost, you gave a very good and plausible explanation.

I particularly enjoyed your realistic handling of FTL flight. Despite what some people think you can't cross vast interstellar distances instantly, it just don't work. Though I don't think it would take a week to go from Eden Prime to the Citadel (the Omega 4 Relay in ME2 goes to the center of the galaxy and you only travel for a probably a minute or so)

Can't wait to see how you introduce Wrex and Garrus!

Hugh D. Martin
Deus Ex Sub Ubi chapter 5 . 2/22/2010
Good to see you back at this again my friend. I wasn't sure if you still had the motivation to write this since ME2 came out. Good chapter building towards more action.
Griever chapter 5 . 2/22/2010
Yay, Tali.

And no, as far as I know I'm not a deranged fan. This is different, though, and different is good. Looking forward to seeing where you take it.

-Griever
Angurvddel chapter 4 . 1/28/2010
A very nice story so far, I enjoy the characterizations that show up that don't during the game.

That said, you seem to be somewhat concerned with deviations from the game itself, and frankly, short of changing a major plot element, I really wouldn't worry about it. Part of it simply because pacing in a video game is drastically different from a novelization (The combat scene's you've got in currently are _really_ cool, but if you do it for every single combat situation that pops up in the game, it's going to get pretty tedious fast, unless you interweave interesting personal interactions in all of them beyond just orders and actions) and part of it being that tying it too close to the game in all respects would be a bit boring.

I'm also kind of curious as to how much of the sideplots that you're going to weave in, I'm sure you're not going to devote chapters to wandering aimlessly in the Mako seeking out rocks, and medallions, but I'm curious if you're going to include the personal quests of some of the NPCs.
99 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »