Reviews for The Balance of Power
tigerlily124 chapter 1 . 4/13
Well done! I enjoyed this!
Hannah12 chapter 1 . 11/25/2014
So sweet Short and sweet. I just caught this episode on youtube. While I did enjoy the general banter and laughter at the end of the episode as Spock tried his hardest to justify his act of desperation, I too would've liked to see the continuing outcome of such an episode.
Same with Amok Time and several other episodes. I get slightly disappointed every time an episode wanders into such a great story, brings up a great opportunity to develop emotions and relationships, only to bring up a totally new plot line for the next episode and seemingly disregard all previous episodes. Dont know if that makes any sense but thats how I feel. :)
Scribe 0f Alexandria chapter 1 . 7/28/2014
Truly incredible! I'm stunned that you managed to give us such an insightful character study in something so brief, and while I'm only just getting into Star Trek, for what it's worth, your Jim & Spock seem pitch perfect to me. There was something left hanging in Galileo Seven that that you've just tied up beautifully, better, I think, than it could have been done on the actual episode.

This is the first Star Trek fic I've ever read, and I can't help thinking everything else will pale in comparison.
poplip chapter 1 . 2/6/2014
Aw, this is a really nice story. I felt really sorry for Spock in that episode, nothing seemed to go right. You're writing is brilliant and I loved the ending :)
Keyra93 chapter 1 . 8/11/2013
Aaawww, this is so beautiful, I love this!
Alright so I know this fanfic is terribly old, I don't even know if you'll read the review, but I wanted to leave it written here that I have loved this exchange between the two. And I'd like to add that there is a precise moment where I understood that this had to be a very beautiful little story: when Spock moves apart the chess board to mirror Kirk's pose. I don't know why, but I find it an incredibly realistic moment, given the situation; and of course the whole dialogue, from beginning to sweet end, is fantastic. Compliments for your ability to write and to get these characters so well!
I also wanted to add that I've read your profile thing, in which you explain how you handle and see fanfics, canon and fanon. I just wanted to say that I'm very, very glad to find someone who sees this stuff just as I do :) and you write so well! This is heaven, I think I'm not leaving your profile for a long while :P
(Speaking of heaven, I must add that your being Christian and saying it so clearly AND respectfully only made everything better.)
I've written enough. Thanks for sharing this little beauty! LLAP ;)
WeirdLittleStories chapter 1 . 7/27/2013
I've always thought that "The Galileo Seven" episode was badly written, and Spock would not have done what the writers had him do in that episode. For one thing, Spock is a scientist, and he would not have made pronouncements in the absence of data as this episode has him doing. For another thing, he served under Captain Pike for 11 years, so he's had ample time to observe how humans behave and how best to manipulate them. His amazing mind is too active, too able to file information, call it up again, and correlate it, for him to be as tone-deaf to the nuances of commanding a team of humans as this episode has him be. So I simply don't believe the events of "The Galileo Seven."

That said, your story is a nice follow-up to that episode.
sami1010220 chapter 1 . 4/8/2013
Aw, great job!
donahermurphy chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
These two are ridiculously co-dependent. Its kind of adorable, even though I *logically* know it's likely to get people killed.
Heather Snow chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
Beautiful!
HogwartsFan chapter 1 . 7/26/2012
Well, that's good.
I've just watched "The Galileo Seven" for the first time, and I'm not so content with the whole conclusion of the episode- way to light-hearted for my liking, for I do think the situation would have deserved mehr earnest,..
...so I'm very glad you've already addressed the whole object and threw the importance of discussing the events as well as some gentle friendship and humanity (yes, Mr. Spock ;)) in it.
Thanks!
Snakequeen-in-Norway chapter 1 . 1/7/2012
God I loved that episode. I adore Spock and get rather too emotionally involved with well-constructed fictional characters. And I must have said a dozen times over the course of watching TOS that that ship would not function without Spock. Alas, I have no authority on the matter, being several decades too young, but I think you captured them quite nicely.

-SQ
Peregrinate chapter 1 . 9/15/2011
Love it. Poor Spock. He needs a hug.
The Buzz chapter 1 . 5/4/2011
Oh, this is wonderful. Perfectly in character, and full of real insight. These things actually needed to be said. Awesome story.
SpockLikesCats chapter 1 . 4/7/2011
A very good analysis on Kirk's part. I love his humble admissions toward the end, especially the last one! Excellent friendship fic.
Kermitty chapter 1 . 1/25/2011
Awww, that perfectly describes the way those two need each other. I love the subtleness of their relationship/friendship/whatever-it-may-be-ship. Very canon too. Good job,

Love,