Reviews for Not Better, Just Different
SimplySinful21 chapter 36 . 12/10/2010
Beautiful ending and wonderful outcome! Just wonderful!

4rm da blk chick$$$
AngelOfMusic387 chapter 36 . 9/16/2010
I loved this story. Even though it basically followed season 4, there was enough diversity in the storyline to truly make it unique. I love how the relationship between the doctor and Martha grew, and the best part was not even when they got together for real (though that chapter was wonderful in itself), but the insecurities that both of them had to get past to achieve their relationship in the first place. I could definitely see this in my mind as an alternate time line for Doctor Who if they ever decided to make the show more romantic.

Also, I don't remember what chapter it was in (the "alternate reality" one perhaps), but when you said that Martha helped to deliver a Snarfblatt, I was highly amused. It brought to mind a certain seagull holding a pipe :P

I'm definitely looking forward to reading more stories from you. This one took me all of a day from the time I found it until I was finished.
Black Stormraven chapter 36 . 9/11/2010
Have I mentioned how much I love you for your Ten/Martha stories? If not, I LOVE YOU FOR YOUR TEN/MARTHA STORIES! [/capsrape] Seriously, all of your works are wonderful, and this particular ending was just beautiful. Thank you for writing this!
Lady Gwenevere Smith chapter 8 . 7/12/2010
then started over (the fourth one was still the Doctor's favourite

BWHAHAHAHAHAA! Can't imagine why.
Lady Gwenevere Smith chapter 7 . 7/12/2010
Marvelous! Simply marvelous. I really like how strong you've made Martha here...not that she wasn't always that way, but you've brought it out quite nicely. Too bad we never got to see this on the show.

Oh, and Eleanor Rigby? Awesome.
Lady Gwenevere Smith chapter 6 . 7/12/2010
Oh, the Harry Potter stuff never ceases to make me giggle like a little school girl. I'd like it just because I'm a HP geek to begin with, but the fact that David was Barty Crouch Jr (a bit miscast, honestly...he doesn't have "straw colored hair" now does he? And that creepy tongue flicking thing...) Anyway...great chapter. I was almost hoping you'd find a way to work Donna in, as that scene where she and the Doctor are mouthing to each other across the room is hysterical. Still, I suppose Donna will show up soon enough.
Lady Gwenevere Smith chapter 5 . 7/12/2010
I don't know why you'd think this was was quite good. Nothing controversial about that at all.
Lady Gwenevere Smith chapter 3 . 7/11/2010
Aw, good for Martha, for being so clever and saving the day, and Astrid, even if she didn't like blondes in distress.
Lady Gwenevere Smith chapter 2 . 7/11/2010
Ah, now this is a great integration of Martha into Voyage of the Damned (which, honestly, was not a favorite of mine...I think I missed Martha too much and was too distracted by Kylie whatsherface's botox to properly like the story).

And this line?

"not to let the hapless blondes get in the way."

Lady Gwenevere Smith chapter 1 . 7/11/2010
Oh, this is good. Very good. On to the next chapter!
laramis chapter 36 . 6/23/2010
This was awesome! Really loved how the story moved along. Thanks for a wonderful read!
Marcus S. Lazarus chapter 36 . 5/17/2010
Hoo boy...

VERY good bit of work you’ve got here, to say the least.

One simple slip of the tongue on Martha’s part- mentioning that she thought she was second-best a lot of the time she spent with him-, and the Doctor sets out to make it up to her for being an emotional moron (It’s the problem of being a Time Lord, really; he’s great when it comes to the technical and temporal matters, but he’s really not had that much experience when it comes to feeling), even as he himself is uncertain how to define what he ‘wants’ their relationship to become.

The twist on how the Doctor and Martha ‘pre-empt’ the Adipose ‘invasion’ was very effective, with the Doctor and Martha’s interaction with ‘Rory’ being rather humorous (To say nothing of the amusing irony of you using the name ‘Rory’ a few months before we know that the Eleventh Doctor would TRAVEL with someone called Rory), even if I’m STRONGLY ambiguous about the Doctor calling in the Shadow Proclamation to deal with the Sontarans like that; one of the things I like about him is that he doesn’t HAVE to answer to higher authority- even when he’s working with UNIT he’s mostly an equal-authority coordinator given his reputation these days-, even if I recognise that he had exhausted all alternatives to stop them at that time.

The meeting with the Rigbys was an interesting additional touch, given their knowledge of Martha and their ignorance of Rose, to say nothing of the Doctor’s reasons for not mentioning Rose to them (One of the main reasons I preferred Martha to Rose, really; Rose defined herself by her time with the Doctor, but Martha CAN be independent even if she likes staying with him), although I’m a bit confused about when he could have told them about Martha without Martha knowing about it.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing more of Jenny- or ‘the Doctor’s daughter’, given that Donna wasn’t here to name her- than we did, but the meeting with River Song was EXCELLENT; she might be a somewhat-arrogant pain in the series (That’s how I see her, anyway; all that talk about ‘spoilers’ when she’s so casual about asking the Doctor what he’s experienced by this point whenever they meet, to say nothing of her arrogance in assuming that she’d automatically get a Doctor she knows when there are at least nine incarnations out there she should know that she CANNOT meet), but here she actually created a rather interesting ‘bond’ with Martha despite her old animosity with the other woman’s memory, making her somewhat more sympathetic than I ever found her to be in the show.

Rose struck me as being a bit too formal in this world’s take on “Turn Left”- ‘It has been made very clear to me’ doesn’t sound like something she’d say normally-, but the central idea about why she HAD to set things up so that Martha travelled with the Doctor rather than Donna was interesting, and Martha’s little ‘jump’ back in time to talk with the Doctor to get him to ask her to stay was very effective (The bit with UNIT having a ‘spare’ TARDIS console’s a bit of a stretch, but given that the Third Doctor had to take the console out once or twice while he was fixing it I suppose it’s possible he .

And as for your new take on the Medusa Cascade crisis...

I’m not sure what I preferred more, really; the Doctor and Davros pointing out that destroying Earth would have been pointless under ANY circumstances, or Davros’s attempt to ‘weaken’ the Doctor by accusing him of constantly ‘replacing’ his companions EMOTIONALLY as well as PHYSICALLY.

The main problem of Davros and his creations, really; since they can’t understand emotions, they don’t get that the Doctor forming NEW bonds with his new companions isn’t the same thing as replacing the bonds that he had with his earlier ones.

And as for the conclusion...

Wouldn’t have minded SOME kind of resolution to the Donna storyline- doesn’t seem like her to just give up after actually FINDING the Doctor, to say nothing of the Doctor not being the type to just abandon her without at least an explanation-, but the Daleks’ final fate here was very effective, and you definitely did an EXCELLENT job capturing Rose’s emotions in her now-final goodbye with the Doctor.

Keep up the great work!

(OK if I use some elements from your take on River in something I’m working on at the moment?)
GoddessAnjanee chapter 2 . 4/30/2010
Martha is amazing.
GoddessAnjanee chapter 1 . 4/29/2010
interesting :)
kendrawriter33 chapter 30 . 4/21/2010
"He'd die for any one of us, you cow!" Donna said. "That's how he is!"

LOVE Donna.