Reviews for MIDNIGHT SHOWING
CeCe Away chapter 1 . 11/25/2010
*Dean said, face shrouded in shadows, his stance straight and tall - his best batman impersonation yet.*

Now that is a cool image and I laughed when he whistled and the bats came flying. So funny.

And then even though Dean was ready to take everyone on, he let Sam do it. Plus, you let Sam actually lose the fight, though in a way not really.

Once again, I'm awed. Oh, and I forgot to answer your question. So far I've only near-drowned Sam once in What's so Right About That? but after all your drowning Sam stories, I may need to write some more. *grins evilly*
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
A friend recommended that I check out your work and I'm glad she did. Awesome fic, you wrote Sam and Dean as teenagers just as I imagined them. Loved Sam's geekness with his conversation with Becky and Dean turning up with drinks, snacks and a Trojan! Also loved that when Mike and his cronies attacked Sam he stood up for himself and tried to give as good as he got even though he was outnumbered. Perfect that when Dean arrived on the scene he held back, asking Sam what he wanted to do rather than wading in getting revenge for his little brother. And great that Sam gave Mike a good fight before finally being got the better of because of his injuries. Awesome how Dean took care of his beaten-to-hell little brother and fantastic ending, asking for the Trojan back!

A really great read and a definite fave. Will be checking out more of your writing.
Charlie Girl 79 chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
Excellent fic! Love that Sam had his geek fest moments while talking to Becky. Great characterization of both brothers at this age. Loved that even when Sam was taking a beating from Mike and his puppets Dean came in, evened the odds and let Sam take care of business...But all the while Dean is just itching for a fight.

And the last line...priceless. "Give me back my Trojan."

Loved it!

Shar
carocali chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
Sorry I'm so late with this!

Love the idea of Sam going on a date - at a drive in none the less - with his brother as a chaperone! He'll do anything to get his brother laid!

Then the bullies come and Sam gives it a shot to try and protect the girl, but it's too much. But I love how you did this - you gave Sam a chance, but then the boys played dirty. And then Dean came and kicked some ass! That's so fabulous!

Also, it really works well from Sam's POV which I normally don't care for (not Sam's POV but first person) but it's perfect.

Well thought out, great courage with some limp and Big Brother as well. Ah, the perfect storm!

Thanks!

:D

Caroline
carolinesayer chapter 1 . 10/23/2009
aww that was great :D thankyou xx
Red Hardy chapter 1 . 10/21/2009
GREAT story! Sam and Becky were adorable. And Dean is right about the respect thing; Mike may have 'won' the fight but he and his buddies will leave Sam alone from now on.

My favorite line of the whole story:

"Give me back my Trojan."

Ya gotta love Dean! He always has his priorties in order! Oh also LOVED his coherency test! :D

Thanks for sharing this with us, Karen. And thanks to Phx for the rec!
LaylaBinx chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Aww this was soo good sweetie! I was so excited to see a new story in my inbox and you completely delivered (as always .-) I loved the scene at the end; it was too sweet. And the 'give me back my Trojan" made my night P Great job my dear!

P.S. The Canterbury Tales is an awesome book :D
TraSan chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
You know, one of the things I love about how you write the brothers is they are GUYS and young guys at that...not, um, female versions of guys - if that makes any sense at all.

Well done!

So, many, many things to love about this story. First off, Sam is very capable, I've always thought so and you managed to not only give me some awesome h/c (h/c junkie here) with a hurt!Sammy, but also let him show he is strong!

Loved, loved that Dean was right there - ready to take out all the jerks beating up his brother, but left it up to Sam. He let Sam be his own man and fight his own battles, just...evened the odds for him.

And they bickered and loved just the way brothers should. Excellent story, girl. You should be proud of how this turned out.
UpstairsMind chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Loved it. 3 So cute, and the fight scenes were awesome! I love the last line, lol. D Fantabulous job!
Visionairy chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
This was great! I can just see Dean driving Sam and his date there, and then dropping off the snacks and 'supplies' in front of her. I really enjoyed reading this. I don't know quite why, but my favorite part of this story was, "Sam?"

"My guard dog's standard offer. What do you want me to do, bro? Dean would take down all four dicks with one word from me.

and "..."Sam!" Dean called, more forcefully insisting on an answer, obviously itching to repay the damage.

I looked back at my brother. His face was turning red, fists shaking with anticipation. He was wound tight, ready to spin wild. I could see the glint in his eyes - that whole Clint Eastwood glint. If I let him off his leash - no one would leave lucky.

"I can deal, one on one," I told Dean, my gaze falling on Mike - the one.

"You got it, little brother."

I guess I like it because it is so in character for Dean, and though Sam was already hurt, in his world, it was still Sam's fight.

Thanks so much for posting it!
WastedJamie chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
That was awesome! I absolutely loved everything about it. One of the best fics I've read in a while; nice job and thanks so much for sharing your talent.
buggyswifter chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Hey Karen - Great Story! I should know better than to start reading your stuff at work but I can't help it, saw the notice in my inbox and I've been distracted ever since. It's really cool to have young Sam be a hero! You did a fantastic job capturing Sam's teenage turmoil and angst. Scared me with the Trojan though - thought for a second you were going to go there - glad you didn't! Thanks for the fantasy land detour for the day, gotta jump back into the real world now (ugh!).

Smiles

Amy
Wallflowergirl chapter 1 . 10/20/2009
Oh I really liked this! Sam is just too cute - I loved the way he rambled on about Chaucer because he was nervous! And Dean coming along when he was being beaten up but giving him the option of fighting - that was great. I liked that Dean allowed Sam to have some dignity and didn't just wade in and do the job himself (although he reduced the odds so Sam had a fair chance). And then the nice bro-mo at the end...

Great story :-)
Phx chapter 1 . 10/19/2009
ooH OOH LOVED THIS! I will admit, shameless h/c girl that I am, I kept hoping that Dean would show up and be pissed. And he was.

I did love him letting Sam finish this although a part of me was also hoping to see Dean kick ass :P I am a conflicted person. How does one get the protective, saves the day, big brother AND hurt little brother without little brother coming off as a whimp? LOL! Bad odds, I'd say :P

I kept hoping when Becky took off, she was going to get Dean and seems she did! Wahoo! I also love the realism of Dean being a pain in the ass but also an aweseom brother as well. C'mon, no matter how close they are, they'd still get on each others nerves and I somehow suspect growing up with Dean as a big brother was not a life of all perfume and roses :OP Unless, of course, said outsider threatened - then bam-o, out comes the big guns. Dean at his best.

Okay, sorry got off topic. Wanted to say, I enjoyed. Thank you.