Reviews for My Object All Sublime
TheNinthNavigator chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
Type your review here...
TheWildHeffernan chapter 1 . 2/14/2013
I love your writing. It's hilarious, but at the same time, it's smart and thoughtful. Everyone has such great, distinct personalities and.. and..
You're just damn wonderful.
JesterBellsILove chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
I adore this fic, along with several of your others about the Friends of the A B C, though this is my favourite, I think. I absolutely love the way you write the interaction between Joly and Bossuet; it's charming, and, I think, quite perfect. Well done indeed. \;~)

~JBIL
LesMisLoony chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
Oh gosh, I finally got a chance to read the second half of the story and I'm so glad I did. I love your Amis so much! All of them are absolutely adorable. And the fact that they're all a little in love with each other makes their interactions so fun. I love Courfeyrac being the life of the party and the way Jehan seems to be everyone's little pet. They're absolutely wonderful! Poor Feuilly, not quite sure what to make of all the slashy madness. I just adored every scenario in this story!
Mam'zelleCombeferre chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
This was fantastic. Although it was really long, it kept my interest the whole time. I enjoyed reading something that focused on the lesser loved Amis such as Combeferre and Joly. Joly symptoms sound like what I had two weeks ago. Horrible dang stuff the flu is. Well done. I spotted one Americanism/anachronism, but it wasn't terribly distracting. Overall well done and I love your style.
Mme Bahorel chapter 1 . 10/22/2009
OMG, this is awesome! Jehan/Combeferre, Joly and Bossuet being slashy, Feuilly occasionally reminding me of Dennis in Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("There you go again, bring class into it") but without the comic anachronisms, Courfeyrac and his curling iron . . . it's so delightfully manic and but calms down without any loss of force into very important debates that we've needed in fandom for a long time.

It's so nice that the geek fic is back in fandom.

(and now i have lovely mental pictures of Jehan/Combeferre. I'm so glad that Romantic!Jehan is catching on.)
ColonelDespard chapter 1 . 10/21/2009
I think I should just pre-emptively fave everything you write on the Amis from this point on out. You’re so steeped in the literature and philosophy of the age that produced these characters, and the marriage of that knowledge with the historiography of your research is just perfect. The result is the Amis in context, but never a context that suffocates either the narrative, the humour or the touches of character and their ideas/ideals.

Humour is the foremost note, of course, and this is right up there with your exceptional standards…Joly on opiate based cold medication, Combeferre and his mulled wine (and the results of drinking it), fiery little Jehan with his Romantic flights, Bossuet’s charm, Feuilly’s interactions with his colleagues (Jacobin fan maker without teeth, eh? And the whole “you PROMISED!” dialogue) and just about everything Courfeyrac does. Joly blowing his nose as one of the harbingers of the horsemen of the Apocalypse…e!

And the way you mix humour and character insight…Joly’s interests seem less faddish here, married as they are to an inquisitive mind and a desire to explore the boundaries of his profession. The exploration of his hypochondria is amusing, but it also gives us some potential answers for it.

The introduction of Feuilly explores one of the basic problems an idealistic young activist from a middle or wealthy background is going to face even today…from Feuilly’s perspective, I think it would be hard to believe that someone with purely theoretical knowledge and the odd field trip could really understand the situation without seeming patronizing/paternalistic. His suspicions are perfectly plausible, as is the apparent chip on the shoulder (I’m speaking from the perspective of someone who had a few perception altering conversations with a boyfriend from a different socio-economic background, and I’d certainly never considered myself patronizing/condescending etc, but with the best will in the world and attempts to bridge the gap on both sides, there were things I didn’t understand, or understood only in the abstract, and suspect that I still do). And from the POV of the students, who are absolutely sincere but are still groping their way towards a more complete understanding of those social questions they want to address, it has to be confronting to be challenged like that.

I know I dwell on this point, but with so many profoundly problematical depictions of Enjolras out there tip into character rape, and dire depictions of his interactions with his colleagues, I think it bears stressing…your Enjolras is brilliant. He is consistent with Hugo’s depiction, and you actually enhance the reader’s understanding of his place in the dynamics of the group and of how his mind works. You are able to write his reserve while still keeping him a part of their curious, eccentric and wonderfully diverse circle – all too often, that reserve in fanfic translates to a pissy, short-temperered, cruel individual who is perpetually harping on his friends for everything from drinking to writing poetry. Your Enjolras, however, is recognizable as the man who on one of the very few occasions we get a direct look inside his head, actually thinks of their diverse traits as strengths…even including Courfeyrac’s verve in the list. He might be the quiet one sitting in the corner of the Musain and not actively carousing with his friends, but far from detesting them, he embraces their diversity, planning to try and incorporate elements of it into what may be the most important speech of his life. You also tackle some of the issues that inevitably arise from his tendency to transform people and actions around him onto the symbolic plane…but I love the gentle humour of his response to Joly’s offer to run through the revolutionary repertoire (this is the man who could make a quiet joke about “taking the pulse of the medical students”). The Prouvaire/Combeferre conversation is a marvelous foreshadowing of their responses to the le Cabuc episode…of all the characters, Prouvaire is the one who (apart, of course, from Combeferre) seems to most “get” Enjolras, which makes sense given his fascination with the sublime.

Anyway, I could write an essay on what I adore about this piece…more, please!
Bramblefox chapter 1 . 10/21/2009
Squee. I always did love Joly, and these stories have made me love him even more. He's just so...so...paranoid and cute and e! *spazz* The image of Combeferre, drunk and doing his orange-rind smile to Enjolras, is begging to be drawn. And Joly self-medicating and the party at Courfeyrac's, and there are far too many little scenes that I love for me to mention in a coherent manner. Oh, and Feuilly ranting about Poland much to Joly's confusion is priceless.

So, this is absolutely darling and hilarious and I love your recent influx of Amis fics. :D Keep it up, please!