Reviews for A Long and Weary Way
PythonAnon chapter 82 . 5/7
This was wonderful to reread and I can't wait to start the appendices! You're truly brilliant!
takingoffmyshoes chapter 82 . 3/13
I thought I had finished this ages ago, but there were over 20 chapters I hadn't read! I don't think I've ever been so happy to be so wrong, though, since I absolutely love everything about your writing. For years and years this has been the fandom I turn to when I'm in need of inspiration or solace, and your works never fail to provide most generously. Aragorn in particular has long been a guide for me in troubled times, and he comes alive with your words as with almost no one else's.

Thank you so much for sharing not just this wonderful story, but all of your contributions. They have left the fandom a better and richer place. Best of luck in all your writing endeavors, and in all your non-writing endeavors, too!
ksecc1 chapter 82 . 12/15/2016
You do an amazing job with Aragorn. It seems difficult for modern writers to capture Tolkien-esque ethics. But the honour your Aragorn displays even in the most degrading situations is fabulous. Thanks so much for writing this.
a.talking.dog chapter 82 . 11/1/2016
I really liked this! You did a great job of fleshing out some of the less well known characters, especially the Beornings (who I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never really thought about much). Plus Celeborn, who's one of my favorite characters.

I also liked your portrayal of Legolas. A lot of people tend to have him being very serious and solemn, but I don't think that actually matches what we see of him in the book. Admittedly, he doesn't have a whole lot of lines in the books, but quite a lot of the ones he does have are jokes. I think your more playful version of him matches that.

Also, I liked what Elrond said about his brother. Poor Elrond, he keeps having family choose to be mortal. I wonder if he ever regrets not choosing it too.

I guess if I were to be critical, I think it did start to drag in a few places. Maybe it would have been different if I'd been reading it as each chapter was published rather than all at once, but there were a few times when I found myself thinking 'oh, he's out of food again' or 'look, another river'. But honestly, this is a pretty minor complaint, and I think it might be mostly a matter of opinion.

Oh, I almost forgot about Third Voice! He was great! Weirdly likable and sympathetic while still being thoroughly evil and orcish.
Adaneth of Lebennin chapter 4 . 8/22/2016
My goodness, it's been awhile since I reviewed. I love the fight. It flows very naturally, but does not seem too predictable or perfect. I commend you and the Brandst├Ątter folks for the work put into that. Your listing of the Orcs as "Voices" was especially clever, as it identifies them without explanation, but makes them somewhat impersonal. It's rather Shakespearian, actually, and I love it. Third Voice's characterization is spot on for a clever Orc. I think people forget sometimes that they can be shrewd. As always, I so love your Aragorn. His commitment to justice and mercy are so balanced with his pains and wants as a human. It's just beautiful and reminds me of other stories I love. I found one, small typo. A space is needed in the second-to-last sentence of the third paragraph from the end, where it says, "the goblin navigated thelong slide down into the valley."
All the Best,
Adaneth.
Laerthel chapter 10 . 7/20/2016
This story is quite suspicious, you know. So are you telling me that you didn't just steal one of the unpublished Appendices, hmm?

Now, really... this is a gem, and I'm very grateful for having found it (and also a bit flummoxed that it's only now that I've found it, and you, as a writer... :O).
I write reviews far more rarely than I would like to, and it's mainly because I can't always think about any useful counsel... and to be honest, it is quite the same in your case. Surely your story is not perfect, because there is no such thing as perfect (I call this unlucky opinion of mine 'the Noldo disease'...), but sadly, I'm not "qualified" enough to offer you any piece of advice :)
Your story is a true pleasure to read, thought through and qualitative; there seems to be a great amount of work put into it, and quite clearly, it's written with the kind of love and respect for the world of Arda I also feel. Thank you for the experience, I'm looking forward to the next chapters, and your other stories as well. :) Whenever you're reading this, have a great day.
Samsagace2 chapter 69 . 7/6/2016
Surely the "salvaged confinement" you mention is that of Telpiriel. I cannot wait to read about! Currently waiting for chapter 21 of The Eagle on the Ramparts!
Raingirl4513 chapter 82 . 6/19/2016
I've just finished - it's been an amazing three days since I stumbled across this story. Speaking of your writing, what can I say? I feel like I've found one of the Professor's stories that he forgot to publish. You've managed to perfectly capture Aragorn's character here - we see an imperfect man who truly is a noble hero. I greatly enjoyed how you displayed the emotional weight he experienced on his journey. The emotion rang wonderfully true to the Professor's work, as did the writing. The vocabulary is a lot of fun, and the lyrical phrases a delight. I also delighted in the realism of this piece - the detail of the hardships of camping, height of the Misty Mountains, the culturally appropriate way Aragorn and Arwen interacted, the talk of the orcs at the beginning, the differences between Thranduil's court and Elrond's, Gollum's interrogation, Aragorn's interactions with the descendants of Beorn. I loved scenes with the Beornings; they added a much-needed touch of home to a weary quest. I would like to know more about your portrayal of the Beornings' culture; I found the healing scene to be an interesting window into their life. I also enjoyed Aragorn's reaction to his deeds as Thorongil; it displayed his character very well.
The capture of Gollum is a rarely written story, and your portrayal of it is even more precious. Thank you so much for this!
Altarian chapter 82 . 6/1/2016
Wow, that was a long story to read...but I liked it so much! I was desperate for some time to find a well written story with Aragorn as a main character (and without Legolas!) and finally I discovered this one.
I liked your writing style, although it was sometimes harder for me to understand some words and phrases (for I am not a native english speaker).

I loved your portrayal of Aragorns character - so noble and powerful - as it should be :)

And I really suffered through some parts of the story - so much misery and suffering for poor Aragorn.. occasionaly I had to skip forward and make sure that in few chapters there would be some respite for him or I could not have continued to read :D So you can imagine how much I enjoyed chapters with Lothl├│rien and Beorns house :)
nosmaeth chapter 82 . 5/1/2016
I have congratulated you before on this magnificent tale, but I feel like I have to say this again: your story-telling is such a treasure. The softness of it, the gravity of each scene, the real, true quality of the wording... Everything is stunning from the small details to the overall storyline, its all so very beutifuly crafted.
Just in this very scene: "It was in these next simple steps..." this sentence alone is so lovely, so real and honest. Simple and magnificent elegant in its simplicity.
Nothing is over-emphasised, even the love between Aragorn and Arwen (which I believe to be one of the more difficult subjects) even that love is so wonderfuly portrayed. Sweet, but not sugary. Tasteful without being cloying.
The farewell-scene with Elrond broke my heart here; amazingly written. (The uncomfortably early hour of his departure is such a perfect background to introduce the whole atmosphere. As I said, every detail is so fitting!)
I could enlist almost each and every scene and character as my favorite, because everything ringed so true with the Professor's work, and still managed to add depth to the originaly story and characters. But one scene that stayed with me especially was the conversation about Gollum and the Ring and the sturdiness of Hobbits. Namely that sentece about Aragorn not desiring to hate Gollum but being unable to stop himself. That alone showed his flaws and his strength, his ambition and his limits. That alone is a perfect example why your writing is so enjoyable and appreciated (by me, and by others I am sure).
I am every so grateful for this story. It gave me such a warm, content feeling (not to mention tons of inspiration.)
Thank you for this! And congratulations! :)
Lotrfn chapter 59 . 3/20/2016
This is such a wonderfully detailed engrossing story. Your writing is so eloquent, descriptive and evocative. Love the scenes with Gandalf and the brief ones with Thranduil. Is Legolas, my favorite elf, going to ,she an appearance? He was the King's son and one of Gollum's guardians so I expect he would be in residence in Thranduil's halls.
singinginthedrain chapter 74 . 1/9/2016
Honestly, I had tears in my eyes when Aragorn finally made it back to Rivendell. Your story has so vividly and realistically captured his arduous journey that often I could scarcely stand the utter misery he was experiencing. But that of course is what makes this story so unique, it's very realism. I should quote a passage I particularly liked, but there are so many, I would have to quote the entire chapter. This is truly a masterpiece and I should be very surprised were you to tell me you are not a professional writer.
singinginthedrain chapter 67 . 1/8/2016
I've taken up reading your magnificent story again. I love everything about it - the steady portrayal of Aragorn as a man of honor, the colorful glimpses into Thranduil's world, your ability to weave everything together so brilliantly. And thank you, too, for sharing your rich vocabulary to your tale. It adds tremendously to my enjoyment as time and again you seem to have found just the right words or expressions in your description. To me, it's evidence of great care.

I know this is a very generic review and I hope to be more specific at other times, but I couldn't read another word without pausing to express my appreciation for this work of art. Many, many thanks.
PSW chapter 59 . 12/7/2015
This Minardil they mention here must be quite a guy! :-P It is comforting to know he won be killed halfway through your current story, though...

Aaaand, going to bed now...
fliewatuet chapter 82 . 12/2/2015
Wow, that is one awesome story.

Aragorn's many travels, especially his hunt for Gollum, are such big gaps that Tolkien left to be filled and your story is such an excellent gap filler.

Thanks for writing and sharing,

fliewatuet