Reviews for A Long and Weary Way
Pol chapter 55 . 5/26
This is random, and as ever I adore and often re-read this story, but I just have to say - cripes I love your vocabulary.
Aguirre chapter 58 . 5/21
I have so enjoyed this, and will surely re-read in future. Thank you for sharing your excellent vision and storytelling genius. Hopefully you may come to finish this someday, but even as it is this piece is one of the best LOTR fics I have read in many years.
LadyOfAnfalas chapter 58 . 4/10
This has been a very good story. Aragorn's and almost everyone else's characterization has overall been excellent. The writing style and descriptive word choice have generally been exceptional, though there are a few unusual words, such as "miasma" and "enervation" that you use too frequently, which reads somewhat awkwardly. There are some really great sentences, such as the one that described Denethor as "the other half of Ecthelion's matched pair of champions". However, the immense amount of detail tends to slow the story down a bit too much. Throughout the story, you've shown an amazing amount of knowledge about so many things, from healing to clothing to edible plants; it's been very interesting and I've learned a lot.
I think the best scene so far was Shelob's lair. It was creepy and exciting and incredibly good. Another thing I found very interesting was your picture of Beorn's family and the Beornings. I've tried and failed before to reconcile the depiction of Beorn with what we learn tn LOTR about his having descendents and a people, but your idea really does it, which is great. Another very interesting thing you brought up was how Aragorn clearly distrusted Saruman more than Gandalf did.
You made a canonical error in having Aragorn go to Lórien, as Celeborn says in FOTR that he has not been there for thirty-eight years. Two very small things that bothered me were that whenever he thought of Elladan and Elrohir, they seemed oddly coddling, and (though this is kind of a creepy thing to be bothered by) what you mentioned of Gondorian military punishment in chapter 40. Gondor seems to be kind of a harsh place (I believe every crime mentioned is punishable by death) so it seemed to me more for schoolboys than for soldiers.
Laura chapter 58 . 3/7
Reviewing this story is perhaps the most daunting undertaking I've dared to accomplish on the Internet, and I am sure that I cannot do it justice. Suffice to say that it is truly an epic, and one that fits beautifully with Tolkien's cannon. Reading it, I felt that same sense of confidence in the storytelling that I felt reading Tolkien's works. An utter sureness of the author, almost as if they were stating pure, undeniable facts rather than asking the reader to believe fiction. You have such a command over the characters, the landscape - everything, that I feel almost as though it's not fanfiction at all.
I'm so glad someone told this story, and happier still that it is in your most capable hands. If I had your gift for writing, I would say so much more in this review, but as it is I fear I would soon become redundant and my sentences devoid of any real value. Thank you for all the work you've put into this. I savoured every detail you wrote, and eagerly await the day you return to it, should you be so inclined.
Best,
Laura
Ysmira chapter 58 . 12/22/2014
This story is amazing. I learned a lot of usefull things about survival. :) And they say you cant learn anything from fanfics :) I hope youll update soon!
Sage of wind Dragons chapter 4 . 11/28/2014
well he has more supplies now in the form of strength of arms and weapons. which should turn out INTERESTING... very interesting.
Artura chapter 58 . 11/20/2014
I have just read this through (in several sitttings) and enjoyed it thoroughly. Very well done!
thebestsigne chapter 58 . 11/9/2014
please update please
0ak3nsh13ldl0v3r chapter 58 . 11/6/2014
Where's the rest? More more mmmooorrreee! please.
Larki13 chapter 57 . 8/26/2014
This is actually a review of Ch58, but apparently I already reviewed it, when I read your story the first time. ;)

Oh, of all the places to stop! I would dearly love to see this continued! At least until he leaves Mirkwood, but perhaps even until he returns to Imladris and tells Elrond, Elladan, Elrohir, Arwen etc of his journey?
Guest chapter 41 . 8/23/2014
Love it! Please write another story soon!
ej chapter 58 . 8/8/2014
am really enjoying this story - looking forward to the next installment greatly.
Guest chapter 58 . 8/3/2014
Aw, just as it gets interesting (Aragorn and the elves) the story halts.
Pol chapter 58 . 7/16/2014
You cannot IMAGINE how overjoyed I was to see you updating this in 2014! I have long adored this story, and thought it had sadly been doomed to remain unfinished, lovely though it is. You have such a wonderful way of writing, you make people feel the weariness, etc., and your original characters are painted as if they are actually individuals, complex rather than types, never shouldering onto the stage. You write in medical terms appropriate to the 'era', which is dang hard to do, and I love that you write the elves not as perfect and all-wise, but as nuanced and occasionally lacking in knowledge, but above all as true beings. And your Aragorn is just awesome. I must also note my delight at your use of interesting words - I enjoy learning a new term like "cruor" which I can now try to add (grossly) to my vocabularly.
Permit me to flail in delight at the story as a whole. Thankyou for the hard work you have put into it, and the effort you have made to craft it. It is thoroughly lovely.
Aikwen chapter 5 . 6/21/2014
This empty pass was misery upon misery. I have nothing to reproach, the writing is brilliant and the images are vivid, as always... or perhaps this is it. In this case I could do with less convincing descriptions. :( First he is doing a highly unpleasant task and fighting an urge to vomit, than uses some dubious means to clean his injuries (*grimace*): and then you „cannibalized“ the shirt, starting the process of him becoming a ragged beggar. And it was not enough, you had to have him run out of water! No, I am not trying to tell you that you should alter your writing style to something more sugary: I can well declare that I prefer sweet stories, but in spite of all the unpleasantness of this chapter, your story is one of few that I can read and reread countless times. I loved the ending and how his not-quite-a-prayer was answered.