Reviews for A Long and Weary Way
Adaneth of Lebennin chapter 4 . 8/22
My goodness, it's been awhile since I reviewed. I love the fight. It flows very naturally, but does not seem too predictable or perfect. I commend you and the Brandst├Ątter folks for the work put into that. Your listing of the Orcs as "Voices" was especially clever, as it identifies them without explanation, but makes them somewhat impersonal. It's rather Shakespearian, actually, and I love it. Third Voice's characterization is spot on for a clever Orc. I think people forget sometimes that they can be shrewd. As always, I so love your Aragorn. His commitment to justice and mercy are so balanced with his pains and wants as a human. It's just beautiful and reminds me of other stories I love. I found one, small typo. A space is needed in the second-to-last sentence of the third paragraph from the end, where it says, "the goblin navigated thelong slide down into the valley."
All the Best,
Adaneth.
Laerthel chapter 10 . 7/20
This story is quite suspicious, you know. So are you telling me that you didn't just steal one of the unpublished Appendices, hmm?

Now, really... this is a gem, and I'm very grateful for having found it (and also a bit flummoxed that it's only now that I've found it, and you, as a writer... :O).
I write reviews far more rarely than I would like to, and it's mainly because I can't always think about any useful counsel... and to be honest, it is quite the same in your case. Surely your story is not perfect, because there is no such thing as perfect (I call this unlucky opinion of mine 'the Noldo disease'...), but sadly, I'm not "qualified" enough to offer you any piece of advice :)
Your story is a true pleasure to read, thought through and qualitative; there seems to be a great amount of work put into it, and quite clearly, it's written with the kind of love and respect for the world of Arda I also feel. Thank you for the experience, I'm looking forward to the next chapters, and your other stories as well. :) Whenever you're reading this, have a great day.
Samsagace2 chapter 69 . 7/6
Surely the "salvaged confinement" you mention is that of Telpiriel. I cannot wait to read about! Currently waiting for chapter 21 of The Eagle on the Ramparts!
Raingirl4513 chapter 82 . 6/19
I've just finished - it's been an amazing three days since I stumbled across this story. Speaking of your writing, what can I say? I feel like I've found one of the Professor's stories that he forgot to publish. You've managed to perfectly capture Aragorn's character here - we see an imperfect man who truly is a noble hero. I greatly enjoyed how you displayed the emotional weight he experienced on his journey. The emotion rang wonderfully true to the Professor's work, as did the writing. The vocabulary is a lot of fun, and the lyrical phrases a delight. I also delighted in the realism of this piece - the detail of the hardships of camping, height of the Misty Mountains, the culturally appropriate way Aragorn and Arwen interacted, the talk of the orcs at the beginning, the differences between Thranduil's court and Elrond's, Gollum's interrogation, Aragorn's interactions with the descendants of Beorn. I loved scenes with the Beornings; they added a much-needed touch of home to a weary quest. I would like to know more about your portrayal of the Beornings' culture; I found the healing scene to be an interesting window into their life. I also enjoyed Aragorn's reaction to his deeds as Thorongil; it displayed his character very well.
The capture of Gollum is a rarely written story, and your portrayal of it is even more precious. Thank you so much for this!
Altarian chapter 82 . 6/1
Wow, that was a long story to read...but I liked it so much! I was desperate for some time to find a well written story with Aragorn as a main character (and without Legolas!) and finally I discovered this one.
I liked your writing style, although it was sometimes harder for me to understand some words and phrases (for I am not a native english speaker).

I loved your portrayal of Aragorns character - so noble and powerful - as it should be :)

And I really suffered through some parts of the story - so much misery and suffering for poor Aragorn.. occasionaly I had to skip forward and make sure that in few chapters there would be some respite for him or I could not have continued to read :D So you can imagine how much I enjoyed chapters with Lothl├│rien and Beorns house :)
nosmaeth chapter 82 . 5/1
I have congratulated you before on this magnificent tale, but I feel like I have to say this again: your story-telling is such a treasure. The softness of it, the gravity of each scene, the real, true quality of the wording... Everything is stunning from the small details to the overall storyline, its all so very beutifuly crafted.
Just in this very scene: "It was in these next simple steps..." this sentence alone is so lovely, so real and honest. Simple and magnificent elegant in its simplicity.
Nothing is over-emphasised, even the love between Aragorn and Arwen (which I believe to be one of the more difficult subjects) even that love is so wonderfuly portrayed. Sweet, but not sugary. Tasteful without being cloying.
The farewell-scene with Elrond broke my heart here; amazingly written. (The uncomfortably early hour of his departure is such a perfect background to introduce the whole atmosphere. As I said, every detail is so fitting!)
I could enlist almost each and every scene and character as my favorite, because everything ringed so true with the Professor's work, and still managed to add depth to the originaly story and characters. But one scene that stayed with me especially was the conversation about Gollum and the Ring and the sturdiness of Hobbits. Namely that sentece about Aragorn not desiring to hate Gollum but being unable to stop himself. That alone showed his flaws and his strength, his ambition and his limits. That alone is a perfect example why your writing is so enjoyable and appreciated (by me, and by others I am sure).
I am every so grateful for this story. It gave me such a warm, content feeling (not to mention tons of inspiration.)
Thank you for this! And congratulations! :)
Lotrfn chapter 59 . 3/20
This is such a wonderfully detailed engrossing story. Your writing is so eloquent, descriptive and evocative. Love the scenes with Gandalf and the brief ones with Thranduil. Is Legolas, my favorite elf, going to ,she an appearance? He was the King's son and one of Gollum's guardians so I expect he would be in residence in Thranduil's halls.
Thorongirl chapter 74 . 1/9
Honestly, I had tears in my eyes when Aragorn finally made it back to Rivendell. Your story has so vividly and realistically captured his arduous journey that often I could scarcely stand the utter misery he was experiencing. But that of course is what makes this story so unique, it's very realism. I should quote a passage I particularly liked, but there are so many, I would have to quote the entire chapter. This is truly a masterpiece and I should be very surprised were you to tell me you are not a professional writer.
Thorongirl chapter 67 . 1/8
I've taken up reading your magnificent story again. I love everything about it - the steady portrayal of Aragorn as a man of honor, the colorful glimpses into Thranduil's world, your ability to weave everything together so brilliantly. And thank you, too, for sharing your rich vocabulary to your tale. It adds tremendously to my enjoyment as time and again you seem to have found just the right words or expressions in your description. To me, it's evidence of great care.

I know this is a very generic review and I hope to be more specific at other times, but I couldn't read another word without pausing to express my appreciation for this work of art. Many, many thanks.
PSW chapter 59 . 12/7/2015
This Minardil they mention here must be quite a guy! :-P It is comforting to know he won be killed halfway through your current story, though...

Aaaand, going to bed now...
fliewatuet chapter 82 . 12/2/2015
Wow, that is one awesome story.

Aragorn's many travels, especially his hunt for Gollum, are such big gaps that Tolkien left to be filled and your story is such an excellent gap filler.

Thanks for writing and sharing,

fliewatuet
elsa3beth chapter 82 . 11/24/2015
Stunned and amazed. Stupufied. Gasping for more. Your writings are inredible. Like truly lost chapters of tolkein lore, they read effortlessly and true, yet with a bit more heartfelt emotion than canon, leaving me caring deeply for every character. You are a masterful writer, no equivications, and I thank you for turning your pen to this fandom.
Aldryne21 chapter 82 . 11/15/2015
Oh, this was such a wonderful story you've written! I adore your writing style and choice of words making it fit so well in this world. You do description brilliantly and whenever there's action it was easy to follow what was happening so bravo! Thank you for sharing!
Adaneth of Lebennin chapter 3 . 11/12/2015
It was good to see how Aragorn functions when he has no one to look after but himself. I like how his Ranger's mind and healer's mind plan ahead. The resolve of his will is a great thing to see, as that is something so integral to his character. I like the word picture, "memory of a creek." It gives the right impression for the setting. It's great that you mention the scarcity of water, as it is harder to find in most places than many people believe. At least Aragorn's imagination is not quixotic... It seems the airs near Mordor are not very helpful musical prompters. The Orc-dialogue was spot-on and it was interesting to see the dissention among the Eye and City Orcs. That was a nice cliffhanger at the end, as it gives you the freedom to flesh out the fight in the next chapter.
Majoranka chapter 82 . 11/10/2015
I have followed this story since January, when I first stumbled across it, but shamefully I never got around to reviewing before. However, I need to tell you that I love this story to pieces. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly is its best feature, there are so many. Firstly, I think that this type of story is very difficult to write, but you've done a splendid job of it. Basically, much of the story covers lonely wandering of a single character who doesn't get much chance for complex conversations and relationship development with others (besides Gollum, who really isn't much of a conversationist). This could have easily become boring for the reader, but you've managed to strike the perfect balance of action, introspection, and mystery-puzzle solving to keep the readers on their toes.
Secondly, the struggle between Aragorn and Gollum is fascinating and gives much opportunity for character development of Aragorn, which you've used to the fullest. You haven't written a story of a simple hunt, but a sort of a "Last Temptation of Aragorn", a story of a final trial in which he faces and defeats his own despair and fear of failure, learns about the limits of his endurance (and learns to accept them finally!), and negotiates the tricky moral terrain of being a captor and interrogator without losing his honor and humanity.
Thirdly, I love the amount of realism you've put into this story. I wonder how much research you must have done regarding clothing, foraging in the wild, walking distances, etc. I also love the fact that you don't fall into the trap of modern-style familiarity of dialogue and behavior between Aragorn and Celeborn, Arwen or Elrond, not to mention Thranduil. You avoid over-the-top anachronism, too. It makes for a much more believable story, and I am in awe of the way you work with different patterns and styles of speech. Your Aragorn, courteous and humble, has such quiet dignity about him!
Lastly, I found the story of Aragorn's recovery very poignant - not just his physical recovery, but especially the healing of his emotional scars. Again, I love the fact that you thought about the effects this fateful journey must have had on him.
In short, thank you for this wonderful story. I'm sure that I'll return back to it frequently.

PS: My only regret was that Thranduil didn't get more screen time - I'm a fan, but I understand that Aragorn simply wasn't in the right mood for socializing. It struck me as weird though that Gandalf and Aragorn apparently kept the real importance of the hunt for Gollum from Thranduil. It might be interesting to see how he reacted to learning the truth in the end. I wonder if you're going to address that in the Appendices, perhaps? (hint, hint). :-)
1,115 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »