Reviews for A Spot of Arago
Cascaper chapter 3 . 2/24/2013
And the winner is home free! Oh, there goes my heart again, though this time she flies in her dreams as the first physical flight was quite tiring. I have actually drawn a picture of this event occurring, such is the effect your stories have on me. They are all so real! You have made them so. How utterly perfect that recreating an experiment with light is what brought Joly and Musichetta together. Those wicked ending lines about gathering empirical evidence and repeating experiments to be sure of the "veracity of a conclusion"... oh bless you, praise you, all that is good in the world must go to you, AMarguerite!
Cascaper chapter 2 . 2/24/2013
Oh Jolllly, dear Jolllly, do not worry! You are hitting it off much better than little Jehan is, dearly as I adore that boy. And he's only doing this for your own good- the competition, I mean- so you're galvanized into some action. Look at the way you and Musichetta can converse! How you connect! Oh Joly, rest assured.
Cascaper chapter 1 . 2/24/2013
Oh, indeed, Bossuet. A getting-together story, eh? I cannot wait to see how it all comes out! Drunk Amis are the best Amis when you write them. And I quite like Musichetta's introduction from on high, looking down from her window with a smile on the as-yet oblivious Joly.
LesMisLoony chapter 3 . 11/17/2009
This is darling! I couldn't stop giggling at your Jehan-especially when Musichetta mimed banging her head against the wall. The contest between the boys-what a charming concept! I really love the idea that Musichetta and Musetta were roommates. Good Lord, can you imagine?

You're breathing so much life into these characters that I can't help but squee and love it every time I read one of your fics. I'd almost rather write fanfic for your versions that for the Book itself. I'm always in awe of how defined they are and how adorable their banter tends to be.

Oh! And I adore your Musichetta. She's so... perfect! I'm in love with all the hints she dropped (or you dropped, whichever) about her satisfaction with threesomes and slash. She's awesome.
Mam'zelleCombeferre chapter 3 . 11/6/2009
This is by far my favorite chapter!1 It is adorable beyond all belief and I think your Joly has almost passed up Combeferre on my favorite Amis list! Thank you for such and enjoyable read and I hope this isn't the end of this story.
BeBopALula chapter 3 . 11/6/2009
This is so wonderful that I find myself fighting the urge to recite inappropriate poetry to you. Jehan's performance made me laugh so hard, especially the bit where he threatens to sodomize everybody. I also love Musichetta's rant about the bohemians and the jab at Rent. Lastly, the romance makes me really happy. There's something so friendly and warm about it. I mean, I love sturm-und-drang romance as much as the next person, but this actually seems like it'd be fun. I kind of want to live in your Les Amis fanfics, as weird as that sounds.
ColonelDespard chapter 3 . 11/6/2009
A brilliant conclusion to the three-parter - you were able to bring it to a climax of hilarity and, amidst the laughter, make some very sensible points. This reads as the most affectionate criticism of the excesses of both romance and the Romantics.

Joly is wonderful - I'm so glad he's had more contact with Feuilly, who is coming around on the issue of the ABCs nicely, largely thanks to Joly. And Musichetta rightfully admired that gorgeous flare of passion for knowledge and science...that should translate nicely into passion for her, even as he sees her as she is rather than as the embodiment of an idea.

If Musichetta won't have your Jehan, may I? He's really outdone himself in this one...both in terms of clothes to make your eyes bleed and in conduct. Catallus had me desperately trying to stifle guffaws...oh, dear. I suspect and hope this experience will temper his Romantic spirit, not dampen it down. Good on Musichetta for pointing out the obvious flaws in the whole never-suppress-a-desire notion. I did like Jehan wanting her to join him as a merveilleuse...he's evidently not one of those Romantics who reseve outrageous behaviour for themselves, but expected their women-folk to be conventional in everything other than sexuality.

To borrow a phrase from Pie that is now entering my lexicon, you have Prouvaired.
Mme Bahorel chapter 2 . 10/29/2009
I feel like I want to correct your school references except I'm too busy squeeing over the adorable.

Yay for someone agreeing that Byron is a wanker!

"it is becoming increasingly obvious she’d rather see you naked than Jehan." I am cracking up so much - I love you :)

"she likes my hair, yes!"

I LOVE YOU.

Joly, you lucky bastard. Come up to my apartment and read v. strange poems from your rival is like come up to my apartment for some coffee. You are so getting laid, even if your brain gets stuck on "petticoats" :)

This is so cute and hilarious and I love you. Your Joly is darling, I like your Musichetta, and I feel sorry for Jehan.

(and if you want the medical education article, let me know.)
Mam'zelleCombeferre chapter 2 . 10/26/2009
This is the sweetest thing ever. Really you have out done yourself on this. Joly is slowly becoming my second favorite Amis(it may take a few more chapters for him to make it there though *hint hint*) Combeferre is still my favorite.
Enjy chapter 2 . 10/26/2009
The sleeves WERE so ridiculous. I can't get over it. I love your Musichetta. She's wonderful!
Enjy chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
Drunk amis are the best kind. This is perfectly in character and hilarious. I love it.
ColonelDespard chapter 2 . 10/26/2009
Were I Musichetta, I don't know if I could choose! Although, so far, Joly is being more successfully charming. Dear Jehan is demonstrating one besetting fault of the more extreme Romantics...although to be fair, he hasn't utterly rejected science (as per his comments to Joly in the previous chapter, he concedes it has its place). He's just oversimplified everything into convenient archetypes. But bless...you set him up as the youngest, and I can see him getting rather carried away with the excesses of the movement. Your Joly is beautifully rounded, and his anxieties and preoccupations - while losing none of their humourous edge - are believably explored. What's more, he can question his friends - even disagree with them - without the shrill edge that characterises many critiques of the Amis that are put into the mouths of various members in fanfic. These are very believable concerns for the characters living in this particular time and place.
Bramblefox chapter 1 . 10/25/2009
*snort* Oh my goodness-why do you write such wonderful fics? This is fantastic, and Merlin is incredibly lucky to have won this. :D
ColonelDespard chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
Absolute love for all your Amis!

Bahorel brilliant. Him keeping them all in line as they reel around the streets, and his abrupt way of managing a drunk and indignant Feuilly at the end, are just gorgeous.

Thanks to you, Joly is now firmly in my head and I'm actually noticing and enjoying him. His introduction to Musichetta is gorgeous (and of course the nod to Musetta and other Bohemians is lovely!). He's turning out to be a great POV for these stories.

Courfeyrac is his usual fabulous self - you express his wonderful, warm generosity so well. And I'm terribly fond of your Feuilly - the way he's coming into the group fits so well with the later dynamics. I am head over heels in love with your Jehan - what you do with him physically as well as how he expresses himself philosophically.

Best of all, though, is the nature of their discourse - so typical not just of students of any age, but also a wonderful elaboration on the conversation we glimpse in the brick that goes on in the back room of the Musain. Working in Pie's observation on the hazards of taking Platonic analogies too far with Enjolras is a lovely cherry topping the concoction!
Mme Bahorel chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
This is so awesome. The boys trying to feed Feuilly, Musetta being the roommate from hell, you worked in the symbolic mpreg! Your Joly is adorable, and so is your Jehan, to the point I found myself going "Can I keep him?" Because he's far more like a kitten than Feuilly is. So cute. Particularly the idea that he'll just kiss anybody because.