Reviews for The First Secret
BooksAreMedicine chapter 1 . 5/8
Wow, I really enjoyed the descriptions of the minds. Nice touch having her give him the phrase to use
pezzz chapter 1 . 1/10
This is such a lovely dip into River's thoughts!
Thomas H. Bombadil chapter 1 . 4/30/2015
This is lovely! You captured the voice of Firefly perfectly. Big kudos on your attention to language.
CassandraPaige394 chapter 1 . 10/19/2014
:'( #feelz
Poor wash! Love this little story though. The descriptions of their minds are spot on!
Saratai chapter 1 . 7/30/2014
This is beautiful. Usually I don't like epitaph-type stories, but you capture a feel for the atmosphere so beautifully. River is perfect here. Confused, scattered, but not too crazy the way she is often written. Wash is also lovely, although I would argue that he thinks of a lot more than flying, eating, and Zoe. I think he's portrayed as more complex and intellectual than that in the series. I love that you bring out the idea that River tried to warn Wash - I always wonder about that aspect - why didn't River know to prevent the deaths? You provide a very reasonable explanation. Great work!
Kung-fu Blaziken chapter 1 . 4/26/2014
I think Wash's death was the part of Serenity effected me most of all.
I miss him.
He was a leaf on the wind. Yet he still soars.
AnitaBlakeBuffyFan chapter 1 . 1/7/2014
This is beautiful. I have no other words for it, but admiration for your capturing of a realness to their behaviour/descriptions/everything.
pearlythepirate chapter 1 . 11/10/2013
That gave me very strong chills. River's voice is very well done.
WerewolvesAreReal chapter 1 . 10/16/2013
That was beautiful and it hurt in all the best ways. Especially River's comment about the leaves. Have you heard 'Leaf in the wind' by the Bedlam Bards? Made me think of that.
Lovelylovelylovely, and wonderful characterization of River, especially. It would be awful to love everyone so much and just be unable to explain anything well enough to protect them... Need to go watch firefly, gah. Thank you for writing this!
A. Heimby chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
This made me so sad, but I still loved it so much. Great writing!
control of chaos chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
Is it weird that I just burst into tears at the total black and white of Wash and River's translation of River's words?

River: "You are a leaf. On the wind. (Gone in an instant-swept away, dried to dust, crushed underfoot.)"
Wash: "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."

About four seconds after I'd read those lines twice, I burst into tears. Dammit, now I can't watch the first episode the same way ever again. Damn you little dinosaurs...

I loved it all. I loved Mal and his inner turmoil. I loved Zoe and the contrasting blade-like quality that belies her desires to be a mother. I loved Kaylee's sweet, candy-like innocence. I loved Jayne's machine-like predictability, underneath which is still a child-like need to make his mother proud. I loved the soothing presence of Inara, gold sparkles, gentle songs and all. I loved Simon's smooth edges, his warmth and the chinks in his armor. I loved Wash's softness and comfort, his simple desires, and, of course, his talking dinosaurs (particularly the stegosaurus...wonderful touch).

But most of all I loved River and all of her twisted realities, the secrets that no one seems to understand because they aren't supposed to (and they never will until that moment when they look at her with startled, horrified understanding, but isn't that just how life is?). I love how she joins Wash's dinosaurs, understanding the first secret enough to try to communicate the third. I love her sorrowful acceptance of his fate, and the sounds and sights that haunt her. Her interactions with the crew are wonderfully portrayed as well, giving more depth to what glimpses we fans get from the series and movie.

This was beautiful. Well done. Now I need a tissue...
Guest chapter 1 . 12/26/2012
Beautiful perception of River. I don't usually like River stories, because I find a lot of people write her as a kind of incomprehensible crazy. But this is just perfect - the combination of off-kilter and perceptive beyond the others is really well-balanced. You should write River again :-)

- Saratai
Guest chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
that was beautiful
J chapter 1 . 1/19/2012
I liked it, though I prefer to think that either A. Wash survived the movie, or B. The movie simply didn't happen.
appleP chapter 1 . 8/22/2011
There is something.. Adorable about this. My favourite part is River describing Simon. The smallness seems to add to it.

I'm pretty sure I've read this before and I find it just as adorable. Just as heartbreaking.