Reviews for Ad libitum
LenxRinKagamine chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
that was nice Good job! Keep it up ;)
Raburesu chapter 1 . 9/1/2010
Ah, this takes me back to when we practiced calligraphy in elementary... :') ...Although that was English... but whatever. In any case, I was awful at it. Haha.

Five years out of practice, and the first thing she writes is her lov- friend's name? 8D

I liked the meanings and history and whatnot thrown in there. You know your stuff. :3 (Unlike me D:)
half-note chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
I'm a Nejiten fan, and read this kinds of fics considering I've read most of the good stuff. Are you one too? Also, this was cute, well written. The transitions were fairly done. Also, your name seems familiar, wonder why...Good job.
SouthpawSwordfighter chapter 1 . 11/10/2009
This review is fantastically-embarrassingly-late. But that's better than never, I suppose. First...

ZOMG! Latin! Latin! You used Latin! My heart jumps for joy. You must have just won the heart of my inner dork, or something.

"Then again, it's a number that is a favourite in Chinese culture, she remembers, for it's homophonic with the word that means 'longlasting'." You know Mandarin too?

Hmm... I've dabbled only briefly in NejiTen fiction, so why is this a common trope, exactly? Is it because TenTen has to write calligraphy for those summoning scrolls?

The present tense is very nicely done. And this-this is how we get to the lovely 22 strokes. All the lovely numbers and word meanings integrated together rather beautifully.

And, since when did they release any birthdates? I must have been dead or under a rock when I missed this. Then again... I am fantastically out of loop when it comes to these things. D'oh.

~Southpaw
Akai-Kurenai chapter 1 . 11/2/2009
Ah ha, I knew I wasn't the only one who thought that Ritsu's name was unfitting!

The lucky number is nine? Eh, I always thought it was eight...dang, I need to brush up on my kanji.

Short and sweet, just the way it should be. It's something nice to chew on until your sequel comes out, right?

Update soon!

P.S. When did the other birthdays get released? I only know Ritsu's (August 21)! Link or source or something please? D:
djyxa chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
i love ritsuxmio! i want more! :D
Ascoeur chapter 1 . 10/25/2009
Aww, I loved it!

Is that really the Kanji for "Tainaka"? If it is, I want to try it!

Good luck with your sequel!

RtDK chapter 1 . 10/25/2009
Ah, another cute, simple little tale. Nothing special or complex-just a sweet, sentimental reading.

It's been a while since she had done calligraphy, five years in fact, and she's afraid she has lost her touch.

You need to decide if you want this to be present or past tense. Switching between them disrupts the flow of the story.

... the kanji's she's currently writing is one she had learnt on her first year of elementary ...

You need to decide here if she's working on multiple kanji's or just one. "... the kanji she's working on ..." or "... the kanji's she has been working on ..."

Also-"learned", not "learnt". ;)

A constellation that is part of Suzaku or, better known as, the Vermillion Bird ...

"A constellation that is part of Suzaku, better known as the Vermillion Bird ..."

You follow it with that obsessive semicolon of yours again. Try periods and breaking up sentences, rather than trying to be fancy. You gain more from dividing your text normally, and letting it roll on its own. XD

Sighing, she shifts the paper higher again.

I'll assume that Mio's sighing because she's had a hard day or something ... yet she doesn't come across as irritated, upset, or tired in the previous paragraphs. If she is, I'd mention it sooner. Either way, "sighing" generally implies distress, minor or no. If Mio's not distressed, I'd pull the word.

If there's one thing I've learned in my readings, its that a single word can say just as much about the mood as a whole sentence. In this case, "sighing" implies frustration or dismay, which I don't think you meant to.

A number she knows that's notorious in a few cultures.

Interesting ... I never knew any numbers other than thirteen or seven to hold any symbolism.

Smiling, she shifts the paper for the last time.

To continue my earlier point, smiling implies happiness or contention. I think I've made my point though, so I won't bore you with paragraphs of explanation. LOL

The character for Ritsu, she recalls, means law, rhythm or—she tries not to chuckle and somehow knock the inkwell over from her mirth—control.

It also holds nine strokes.

"-she tries not to chuckle-" As you've written it, the statement's kinda long-winded. Sometimes, simpler is better. In this case, it's better, because it kind of displaces the ending word, "control". We've deviated too far from the original sentence, and it loses its meaning because we have to go back and read. (Again, a disruption of the flow destroys the reader's immersion.)

"It also holds nine strokes." What a nice way to end. Simple and not preachy.

A sweet little outtake of Mio's day. You're learning not to alienate your readers too, which is good for increasing hits, while still maintaining just enough subtext to keep us yuriholics satisfied. Good work. I enjoyed this little tidbit.

Now we just await the sequel. ;)

-RtDK
Yuri-hime chapter 1 . 10/25/2009
Really great little story. Loved how it went. Thanks for writing D
notsalmanrushdie chapter 1 . 10/25/2009
I really enjoyed this story. It was soothing. The way you wrote was seemed slow and deliberate, just like calligraphy. Thank you for writing this.