Reviews for The Apology of Elrond
Guest chapter 1 . 4/15/2023
3333
Dr. Sanford Kapl chapter 1 . 1/24/2023
I was hoping that I might hear back from you, as I wrote a lengthy "review" of this work AND "The Valley is Jolly." I would sincerely enjoy the opportunity to discuss your work further with you, if that can be arranged. Please let me know! Thank you again for the outstanding additions you have made to the fan-fiction world of J.R.R. Tolkien!
Sandalf13 chapter 1 . 11/29/2022
My E-Mail address is at
Guest chapter 1 . 11/28/2022
Maybe this will work: oilinvestor13

and that is an address, thus
Sandalf13 chapter 1 . 11/28/2022
The above is my E-Mail address.
Sandalf13 chapter 1 . 11/28/2022
BTW, I am not sure how this Review thing works...here is my E-Mail, if you wish to write back:
Sandalf13 chapter 1 . 11/28/2022
I wrote a detailed review of your story entitled "The Valley is Jolly," but I just had to leave a separate review for this work as well. As the father of two daughters, and the step-father for an additional two boys and one girl, who still call me "Dad," I am somewhat familiar with the intricacies of the relationship between a father and his daughter or son. As children, we are never learned enough to fully understand the dynamic that exists between a father and his children, and suddenly, when one becomes a mother or a father themselves, they look back at their own childhood with more knowledge, and even better, more understanding of how to relate to their own children. For some of us lucky ones the change is swift and sure, as we become parents, but alas, some parents never reach this stage of introspection. That saddens me. If I had to pick out the best years of my life, and I have been around a long 72 years now, I would have to say that they were my thirties and early forties, when my children still lived at home, and I was a source of inspiration, love, understanding, guidance, and wisdom, but also, as is true of any parent, discipline and resentment (at times). IT is not easy being a parent...far easier being a child...but I wonder if you yourself have or had children, as you managed to capture the dynamic between Estel and Elrond so closely. As you noted in your story, "The Valley is Jolly," it occurs to Elrond that of all of his children: Elladan, Elrohir, and Arwen - it is Estel who is most like his father...his "real father," as you so neatly put it. You managed to convey the deep love between the two of them in this short vignette, and your closing paragraph has to be one of the finest endings to a story about Estel and Elrond that I have ever read. As I said in my previous review, your writing approaches the sublime level of The Professor himself. This work, as well as ALL of the other stories about the LoTR that you have posted, has enlightened me in many ways, but more importantly, has moved me. Your deep insight in the human condition is evident throughout your work. Again: I wish that you would consider "publishing" some of your work...my copies of such work as yours would be dog-earred in no time at all. Thank you for your gentle teaching, for that is what a good story does: it teaches the reader something about her/himself that s/he might not have known before. I stand in awe. I hope that you have had a chance to read my reviews, because from what little I could glean in your brief biography, you may be somewhat dependent upon the status of your health. To that I can only add the old German and Yiddish farewell, "Sei gesund." May you be healthy. I cannot wait to read your next contribution!
Mexcellent chapter 1 . 8/15/2021
This is extra-ordinary wonderful heart-to-heart conversation between father and son. It touched my heart deeply. I liked the perfect warm answers of Elrond to Estel's questions and also liked the deep insight of the young Estel to every matter.
Waffles Risa chapter 1 . 5/23/2021
Hello. I know this fic was written a long time ago, but it is too absolutely beautiful not to leave a comment on. I think rarely you come across fics which are perfectly formed in every way, but I think this is it. It is wonderfully atmospheric and the Elrond was so heartbreakingly full of love and gentle kindness and finally peace. (Peace! He has suffered so much. The line about understanding Maedhros and Maglor’s peace brought real tears to my eyes) I love love love love this fic. I think I’m going to reread it many times!
JustAHumanBeing88 chapter 1 . 4/29/2020
This is so beautiful. I have read alot of stories about Elrond and Aragorn, but this is the best. It is like you were writing what is in my mind, but I would never be able to write in such ingenuity since English isn't my native language. I like that everyone is in character and I think this is how Estel came to call Elrond "Ada", too. Elrond's words about his love to Aragorn and how he is remembering Maglor are so touching.
Storiesmania chapter 1 . 3/29/2018
Very nice story !
The Hope Lions chapter 1 . 10/24/2017
I'm not crying, you're crying.
I'm Hermes chapter 1 . 8/17/2017
This was a beautiful vignette! I've never heard the relationship between Elrond and Estel described better. And the mention of Maglor and the Sons of Fëanor has me wanting to reread the Silmarillion.
AndurilofTolkien chapter 1 . 4/30/2017
nice job
Amateur Bacon Cook chapter 1 . 12/29/2016
This is just absolutely beautiful. Elrond's profound wisdom and gentle words really help me make sense of his relationship with Estel, and the boy's quiet vulnerability is well put-across. This is the second time I've seen Elrond's deep respect for Maglor in your writing, and his love for the son of Fëanor is beautifully put-across. I believe you are one of the only writers here that can express such inexplicable family ties and filial love.

It is moreover interesting to compare different writers' interpretations of the relationship between Elrond and his own foster-father. Another story, 'Rift', by user Acharion, takes largely the same route with regards to initial distrust, but changes up small details when it comes to location, involvement of Maglor and Maedhros, &c. Part of the fun of Silmarillion fanfiction is that not much detail is given to the specifics of the happenings — the story is laid out as though it were in a history textbook. Speaking of which, I look forward to the piece in the First Age you've been hinting at!

Best wishes,