Reviews for The Apology of Elrond
chisscientist chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
This is very good. They're very in character, and it's nice to see Elrond being as wise as he is in the books.
Deep Sorrow chapter 1 . 11/11/2009
Wow, what a beautifully written glimpse at the intimate life of Elrond and his adopted son! Thank you so much for sharing this.
Caiaphas chapter 1 . 11/2/2009
such a lovely story!
Nieriel Raina chapter 1 . 11/1/2009
I greatly enjoyed your insight into this relationship. Well written.
Lirulin-yirth-k'aio chapter 1 . 10/31/2009
Such a thorough study of reasons and ways of love... I can only bow and take off my hat (I would if I had one!)... You did what I never could do - and you have my respect therefore. And gratitude for reminding of many different feelings..
Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 10/28/2009
Oh, this is beautiful. It really gives insight into how Elrond became so wise. And it is exactly how I always thought his relationship with Aragorn would be.
Danielle chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
A beautiful, tender and moving story. Thank you.
novelteas74 chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
I've seldom read a more beautiful story. When Elrond explains why he loves Estel, it brought tears to my eyes. It is inextravagant praise to say this is a work of genius.

P.S. Loved your description of Estel, and the sheer joy of the walk in the rain.
Aragorn-lover chapter 1 . 10/27/2009
As the parent of an adopted child, I found this story very moving, and very much true. Your writing is excellent, and I appreciate your vivid evocation of the setting, and your depth of insight into the characters. I encourage you to pursue professional publication with original works. Although I would hate to lose you as a fan writer, I would be very glad to pay money for a book you had written.
ilysia chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
My, when you tackle tough subjects, you do go straight to the very tough ones, don't you? And yet it's a question that has been asked, is asked, and will be asked for the foreseeable future; a tough issue, but a necessary one. And it's a question- does loving an adopted family diminish the love for blood family- I think Estel would have asked and, with age, absolutely required an answer to.

First of all, I love the more archaic definition you used of the word 'apology'. It's brilliant, and fits in seamlessly with the subject matter at hand. And from the apology we move on to Elrond (and I did very much enjoy seeing him in one of your stories again- you developed him so well in "The Valley is Jolly" and I was very much looking forward to seeing more of him). This melancholia that's come over him, distracting as he finds it, is unavoidable for someone like him. A legend himself, he would necessarily see the degradation of the reality of his friends and comrades and family into mere legend, mere stories for long nights. And, on a smaller note, I love that he turns to Círdan, "oldest and most wise of the Firstborn yet left in Middle-earth", for advice. So often is he ignored that it's wonderful to see him being, while not integral, certainly a strong outside influence.

And then there was Estel. It's lovely to see the how he's grown from a young boy racked by fear and nightmares into an even more intelligent, logical young man, yet a young man who has not yet had to travel the paths of hardship and darkness that make him into the world-weary, grim Ranger we've currently left tailing a band of orcs. He's somewhat stuck in the middle here: too young to know the full truth of his heritage and yet too old to blindly accept that there are some things he cannot know the answers to just yet.

It's certainly put him in a transitional phase and opened up the floodgates for this sort of question. As soon as he opened with "Master Elrond", I could see the way things were going. And Elrond could too, of course. But I am thrilled by the wisdom Elrond showed by simply not pushing Estel... because the hardest but best thing is to ask without being led into it.

The conversation between the two, while painful at times, was obviously necessary, and yet amazingly logical on both sides. I loved the way Estel came to his answer through simply listening and then putting the pieces together on his own. A much more satisfactory way, really, of learning things. And probably much more beneficial to all involved.

The reasons Elrond listed for his loving Estel were striking as they were exactly the sort of things that parents do give; small things, almost, and yet small things that make up who and what a person is. Things that only one who loves deeply sees. And with those observances is another reason why Elrond is able to help Estel find his answer: he understands the question in a very personal way. You don't see many people exploring Elrond's past, particularly with regards to the sons of Fëanor. Yet the situations between Elrond and Maglor, and Estel and Elrond are, while certainly not identical, similar enough that the lessons and wisdom cross over.

All in all, a very beautiful and bittersweet story. There's much maturing here, much growing up done on Estel's part, yet he retains that essential quality that makes him Estel. Beautiful job. Bravo!
Mirach chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
It was so deep... so beautiful! Thank you, many times thank you!

The whole setting of the scene is peferct - the spring rain, and Elrond's nostalgic mood... Then the title that Estel gives him announces the unevitable question - not Atarinya, but Master... I admire Elrond's wisdom or empathy to wait for the true question, that lies deep under others. And I just loved the part about Elrond's childhood, and his explanaition that "I did not give Maglor the love I owed my father, but the love that I owed Maglor". Perfect! And the end of the story, the moment that will become a shared memory that will give them both strength in the years to come... there was such profound beauty in that paragraph that it almost brought tears to my eyes.

But I must stop writing now, because Eärendil is impatient to say something too... So I'll let him speak now.

"Thank you Mirach, I thought you'll never end..."

Uh, sorry, I just wanted to say how I loved the story... Ah, ok. Yes, right. I'm quiet now.

*nods* "My son... I'm so proud of you! I listened to your words today, and they brought peace to my soul... When Gil-Estel rose for the first time, I was anxious... anxious at what I will see. There were many sights below me, and a fresh wonder of sailing the skies, but I didn't marvel in those sights, and in the feeling of flight, because I sought you, my little sons that I left on this shore. I didn't know if you live, I feared what I will see. But I saw you, healthy and well, and that was all that mattered to me in that time. And I saw him - Maglor. He was the one that cared for you, the one that dispersed my fears for your life. In that moment, I was just thankful to him, thankful for your well-being. Just later, when I had to watch you every day, I came to feel a pang of jealusy on him, and anger on myself. He was on my place, and yet it was a place that I myself left, knowing that I will never return. You loved him as your father... It was painful for me to watch, and yet, somewhere deep in my heart, I have ever been thankful to him. And now, in the face of years, the thankfulness is all that stayed. Your words were true, my son. You gave him not the love that should be mine. You gave him the love that was his, and that he deserved. I just hope that once we meet again, and I can give you the love that you deserve from me... And maybe, in some distant shore of the river of time, we will meet all tree: me, you, and Maglor, and I'll be able to thank him... and we all will be family again..."
utfrog chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
As always, this is beautifully written. As a child who was adopted as a baby, I have always especially loved adoptive parents. You did a wonderful job explaining the ways you can have multiple parents who love you and that you can love multiple parents as well. Thank you
Inzilbeth of the Dunedain chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
What a lovely surprise! I was expecting the next chapter of 'Aragorn and Gollum' but you served up this most aggreable treat instead. Your young Estel it utterly charming. I'm sure all sorts of questions about his father went through his mind as he was growing up but Elrond handled this exchange most skilfully, as you would expect. And you've portrayed the love between Estel and his foster father absolutely perfectly to my mind. Thank you so much for this delightful story.
Emily chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
Canafinwe! You wrote a new story! That made my day; I am a recent fan. : )

This is a very nice fic. Not only does it apply very well to the situation found here, it also could apply to real life. Thank you for posting it! : )
HT chapter 1 . 10/26/2009
That was beautiful.

So well written and exactly the kind of conversation I could see Elrond having with Estel.
64 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »