Reviews for Times Like These
bannerday chapter 1 . 8/8/2013
Hi Anjie
What a beautiful and beautifully written one-shot. It moved me to tears. Lots of them. I loved that you never actually mentioned their names and never actually alluded to what happened specifically. It just made it all the more compelling.
Bells. Just Bells chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Oh geeze, you made me cry! That was very beautiful. You should definitley write more :)
Raum chapter 1 . 2/7/2012

I'm glad you began to write...are you going to write new stories? I hope so!

- Raum
ms-ambrosia chapter 1 . 6/4/2010
This was really lovely. I was not expecting him to die at all! I was completely shocked. I love the description of Bella's feelings, her actions; as a reader, I felt those emotions right along with her. :)
Ori Lee chapter 1 . 5/3/2010
Wow! that was great. I loved it! You capture a serene wuality in your story; its sad but you write it to be happy moment almost-a turning point in Bella's life.
I'm Di chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
That was lovely, you should write more. Very descriptive and moving. I like how you moved between the past and present.
imafanpire.xoxo chapter 1 . 1/2/2010
fourA.M chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
Wow...I don't even know what to say. Very moving, you even had me in tears haha. I loved how the flashbacks were set up. Great !
retrogradation chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
its so sad T-T

but i love it.
monomo chapter 1 . 11/27/2009
that was beautiful.
509sbennet chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
Wow. Very moving fic. I hope you can find the time to write more. So much emotion in few words.
marigold123 chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
"I wrote about that first encounter. The black, the bronze, the laughter. The smell of soap, of leather and of boy. Of red-heat, of shyness, of the small smile that was on his lips. He was my first crush." I like your way with words. You tell enough to let us all create our own minds picture of this story. You don't give away all the details, but we fill in the gaps. I see this Bella as heartbroken, but trying to move on with her life.

"I slowly lean forward and trace the letters on the hard stone before me. His name once brought me comfort and joy, now it awards me only longing and sadness. I trace the words below; missing are “husband” and “father,” two people he’d aspired to be, but now never would. My fingers brush over the seal. The proud eagle, the globe and anchor all etched in stone. He was my air, land and sea. They had taken it all away from me." This paragraph just killed me. I see a 20 yr old man fighting for his country and losing his life and all the potential he had with that life and the loss Bella felt because of it. I cried...

Powerful, moving and so lovely. So well written! Really like how you used the flashbacks throughout. Enjoyed! Thank you for writing.

as my memory rests

but never forgets what I lost

wake me up when September ends

Green Day~~Wake Me Up When September Ends
MJPIPER74 chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
Wow this was absolutely beautiful. The way you wrote the flashbacks and then coming back to the present where she is struggling to move flowed so well.

I really love it when a story leaves me with tears and sniffles because it means your writing really connected with me and this one definitely did that.

Amazing job and I hope you write more.
ahizelm chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
Yay, I can finally review.

In answer to questions you are probably wondering about, yes I suggested you for a judges' pick in the Indies. Your story simply stood out for several reasons, and instead of blabbing, I'll summarize.

First off, so often people write weak-willed Bellas, and it sucks, to be quite frank. It's frustrating that people turn her devotion to Edward into frailty and a lack of backbone. Therefore, reading a Bella who is strong, smart, capable, and completely aware of herself, what she has and what she's lost is rather wonderful.

Additionally, the mystique around this story is intriguing. You never expressly state what Edward went to school for. You never expressly state that he was in the Twin Towers, but that is, for some reason, precisely where I think he was. You never explicitly day they were head over heels in love, but it's evident in your word choice.

This was enough to override my usual dislike of fics in which this kind of thing happens to Edward and almost wish you'd perhaps give us a glimpse of Bella's future. Is she alone? Did she find someone? Is she in school herself? What exactly did the future hold for her once she let go?

Very, very well done, lady. Absolutely.
Legna989 chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
What a clever way to tell this story, with Bella contemplating an essay for school and feeling like her loss has left her incapable of writing anymore. The use of dual tenses is effective, too, going back and forth between present tense and past tense. It makes Bella's loss feel even more palpable.

This was a lovely little read. Congratulations on your first story and on the Indies Award.

Thank you for writing.