Reviews for Lamentation: The Baroness' Tale
Leslie chapter 1 . 4/17/2013
I really liked this story. I love how it gave a little background to the Baroness. Every time I watch Ever After I always wondered about the scene in her bedroom with Danielle. I always suspected that the Baroness had feelings for the father. Maybe not love but pretty close. I suspected if they had been together longer then they would have been in love. Again I love this insight to the story and character. It helps explain, in more depth,her character and actions. The movie did a good job of doing that but this is, in a way, the icing on the cake. Well done :)
A Fantasist chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
Perfect! this was wonderful!
Kazza chapter 1 . 5/6/2012
A very interesting take on Rodmilla. I agree that she was a victim of her mother and her life; and repeating the same abuse she suffered. Good story!
Zoe Alice Latimer chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
Heartbreaking and somehow beautiful. I love your interpretation of how she became the villain of the piece.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/11/2011
This was astounding! I loved it not only because it gives more insight to this conversation, but, it also shows a side of the Baroness that I think we all knew was there, just packed tightly away. Most of the time, when there is love lost, you start to feel the way the Baroness does. She's.. well, you are right in the sense that it does make life a lot easier to live. I think the whispers had a lot to do with the fact that the Baroness knew Danille's Father loved her, but for some reason, she needed a "verbal conformation" from him to make it all come full circle. Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to reading more of it!
yunadustrial.twifan chapter 1 . 8/1/2011
i always thought she loved him. i mean the scene were he dies in the movie was heart braiking and you could see that she did care for him by how upset she was in that scene.
alchemyarchetype chapter 1 . 7/13/2011
This was so stunningly beautiful and bittersweet. Though usually I don't care for first person narratives you used the style flawlessly and gave a wonderful window into a very reserved character.
IngloriousBasterd chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
I love your story. I always believed she did love August, she was so sad and scared when he died. You explained everything so well!
Vanessa's Dream chapter 1 . 11/26/2010
Oh. My. Gosh.

That was WONDERFUL!

Possibly the best fanfiction I have ever read, ever. Ever, ever, ever. I love eeeeeverryyything about this. Quite nearly perfect.

9/10
StarReader86 chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
Even though I hate the baronness and cheer at her fate in the movie's ending, I do admit to thinking if there was more to her character than just the stereotypical evil stepmother.

And that is what your story has done, you've shown a glimpse into how Rodmilla became the despised female character (besides Marguerite anyways) in the movie. Being forced into a marriage with a loveless old man for the sake of wealth by your parents could darken one's views towards love.

To answer your question, I think a part of her did love Danielle's father. Its very likely that he was the only one who showed her any kindness and warmth in her whole life. To have that same man use his last breath for someone else instead of her had to have hurt the baronness.

I honestly think that the baronness would have simply ignored Danielle as she did with her daughter Jacqueline, if she did not feel an intense amount of envy and anger towards her step-daughter for being the most important person in her husband's life. That's why she reduced Danielle to a lowly servant and did everything she could to belittle and ruin any chances for her happiness.

This story is going in my favorites! You should do more Ever After stories, you're certainly a great writer just from reading this story alone.
rainpaint chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
1. I adore this movie. My sister and I have a lot of the dialogue memorized. Once we went back and forth on Facebook, quoting lines. ("Jacqueline, DEAR, do not speak unless you can improve the silence.")

2. This was really, really good and tugged at my heart. This particular scene in the movie is one of my favorites-so thought-provoking, so heartrending. It shows us who Rodmilla is and why she is the way she is. For a fraction of a second, it seems as though Rodmilla is on the edge of loving Danielle as her daughter. The actresses and screenwriters did a brilliant job.

3. As to whether I think Rodmilla really loved Danielle's father...I'm tempted to believe that she did, or at least that she saw something in him that made her desperately want to love him. The way she whispered, "I barely knew him" leads me to believe that she wished she could get to know and love him.

4. I noted that in the fic, Rodmilla melts (slightly) from the icy figure we know her to be throughout the movie, to a softer woman. It could be seen as out of character, but not really, considering the whole point of the story. Excellent job! I really enjoyed it.
Penelope Wendy Bing chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
I definitely find the Baroness' relationship with Danielle's father very interesting. That instant in the movie when Danielle asks about whether she loved him has always piqued my interest.

This is the first Ever After fanfic I have read. I think I made a good choice for an introduction to this fandom.

-P.W. Bing
Maddy chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
This was beautiful. You captured the Baroness exquisitly and I've neverread anything more true to the character. Bravo and keep up the good work!
Narcissist-Cissy chapter 1 . 10/28/2009
That was awesome, one of the best Rodmilla fanfics I have ever read.

You described her feelings perfectly, and in a way that can make you even feel fond of her.

Keep writing )