Reviews for Shuffing Destiny's Cards
Alice I chapter 4 . 11/4/2009
When I left that first review of chapter one I had not realized that there were three other chapters. For some reason they didn't show up at first when I clicked on the story link.

Well that said I have read up through chapter four and I must say you certainly love angst!

Your object was to elicit an emotional reaction. Well I did feel emotion while reading this. I don't cry though. Sorry. I am one of those people who finds it hard to cry when reading a story no matter how tragic.

I do not normally read death fics - especially death of the main characters, but then again this is Merlin where magic prevails and the dead can be brought to life with the sacrifice of another life - so there is hope.

The Great Dragon may very well find a way to contact Arthur and tell him of this option.

Now as for your death scene - I thought it was well written. It wasn't over done which would be an easy trap to fall into.

After a second, Merlin’s hand squeezed Arthur’s almost imperceptibly. It was all he could manage. For Arthur. Arthur quieted his cries and tried to be strong for his friend.

For a time, they sat just so. Merlin’s hand over Arthur’s, Arthur’s over both.

In the end, Merlin sighed, and was gone. As the last leaf of autumn, suddenly taken by the wind. The tension drained out of his body and he lay unmoving. Eyes unseeing.

This was a very powerful way to describe a death. It was quiet. I have seen many people die, and I can tell you that death is usually quiet like this. I think you did a very good job by NOT overstating it and having a big dramatic death with rattles and groans and choked out last words.

I have set up to be alerted for updates. I hold out hope that Merlin will come back through the use of magic.

Keep writing.

Alice I
Alice I chapter 1 . 11/4/2009
Hello LovesAngst,

I like the fact that your story points out that Arthur has a lot of pressure on him in his duties as Crowned-Prince. I thought that your first paragraph was particularly effective in conveying this concept. You specifically pointed to arranging rooms and servants for the out-of-town guests, arranging banquets and hunts. Who was coming, from where, who could be sat next to whom, whose rooms needed to be as far apart as possible. Meats, wines, linens, baths, audiences with the king, the jousting schedule, hiring extra grooms and blacksmiths, vetting vendors and on and on it went! This litany of duties was one of the best I have seen thus far in this fandom.

So much of fan fiction in the Merlin fandom focuses on Merlin and how over worked he is, that Arthur gets very little attention in this respect. While it's true that you also pointed out how much more Merlin was doing as a result of Arthur's extra responsibility, I was pleased to see that you gave Arthur equal time with the concept.

I also liked the conversation between Merlin and Arthur with regard to Arthur eating. The fact that Merlin refused to do Arthur's bidding until he ate something fits very nicely with his character. Arthur could naturally throw him in the stocks for insubordination, but then as Merlin so adeptly pointed out Arthur would have to do all of the 100 things he had for Merlin to do by himself. He could try to press some other servant into service, but it sounds as if every other noble was just as busy and wouldn't want to spare their own servant to the Prince; especially considering how out of sorts he had been over the last two weeks.

The one thing I hope to see you address in the course of this story is the fact that Arthur really isn't handling the pressure of this event with the grace that he should. He will one day be King and this pressure he is feeling will pale in comparison to the multiple tasks that he will need to juggle at any given time when he is ruler of the entire Kingdom. Arthur needs to not only realize that he must allocate his time better, but not take his personal frustrations out on noble and servant alike or he will end up being a wholly ineffective ruler. This is all part of his training to become King someday, and I'd say at this point he is failing in this lesson.

It would be nice to see Arthur come to this realization on his own. I don't know what you have planned, naturally, but I will look forward to seeing where you decide to go with this story.
magnetic-starfish chapter 4 . 11/4/2009
Wow that was powerful and slightly grim! Poor Merlin! I take it that this is not one of those fics that merlin magically revives? Good writing!
CrayonsPink chapter 4 . 11/4/2009
You definetley made me feel! I was crying through most of this. This is a FANTASTIC story! I really like it! I can't wait to see what happens next. Poor everyone, though. Why'd you have to kill Merlin?
Wileret chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
It’s so sad. Really, Arthur’s despair is too strong. Is like the world has broken down with Merlin’s death. He was his best friend! And know, he is there, lying in his arms lifeless. No more goofy smiles, no more jokes. No more… Merlin.
Mriswith66 chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
I felt. Still do.
nimi1611 chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
just before i read this i put eye liner on and now its runing down my face and i can't bring myself to regret reading this story. its so sad and beautiful at the same time. i look forward to more.
MegElemental chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
I've gone all teary, because I'm a marshmallow. Brilliant chapter, it really made me feel what Arthur was experiencing. And Merlin can't be dead! No! UPdate soon1 Will the dragon help?

Meg
archeress of silverbow chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
SAD

What will happen now
MagicByMerlin chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
I don't even know how to begin. I am too blown away. He's dead. DEAD. Merlin is dead. Umm. I don't know what to do...this seemed so real...too well written to be a story...must be real...has to be...but no, it can't be...but he's dead...DEAD...um...so confused...what's going to happen...what is Arthur going to do...why did Merlin have to be that adorable idiot that he is and die for him...stupid...stupid...so stupid...

There's is only one thing I do know, however, and that is I NEED AN UPDATE. Now. Nownownownownow. NOW!

Now.

MBM
Anya chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
You definitely made me feel. I think I almost cried when Arthur begged Gaius not to take him. And I NEVER cry at anything (even those really sad movies). AMAZING job! I was hoping Merlin wouldn't die, like his magic would heal him or something. But OH MAN, this chapter! Wow. That is all I can say. Update soon!
schnabeldame chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
goal achieved.
unicorndiva chapter 4 . 11/3/2009
Merlin actually died! Oh my! I was nearly in tears as I read this chapter! Definitely wondering what will happen now. Please update soon.
BonGarland chapter 3 . 11/2/2009
it's just so amazingly written! I'm so on edge waiting for more!
Sioux99 chapter 3 . 10/31/2009
Hi

Enjoying the story very much, however, just one tiny point, the tincture of poppy is not rare in England and it has been collected and used for many centuries. Still is in some places.

Sioux