Reviews for Cries the Spirit
hotchner chapter 1 . 9/9/2013
That was a FABULOUS Story. I found it understanding on Emersons feelings and it helped me to understand more on what goes on in peoples head to make them want to commit suicide. Very informative story. Thank You.
Morgan5318 chapter 1 . 12/25/2009
Add my kudos for this story to the other two comments. This was a very well written piece of fiction, and the characterization was spot on. Emerson's response to each soldier in kind was an interesting touch, one which really brought out the pathos in the story. Any one man who faces combat will approach it in a totally different manner than any other man. It is truly a private hell that only one person can experience. Very well done, and I hope to see more of your work in future. I'd say you broke your "dry spell" of writing /very/ well.
Kate K chapter 1 . 10/30/2009
Wonderful story! It was sad but I could feel the emotions from each of the characters. Littlejohn's right that although they're all scared, it was different for Emerson. Some people that are scared are motivated by it to do all in their power to survive, while others find being scared cripples them to the point they'd rather let than fight it.

As a Caje fan, I'm quite pleased to see him as the acting squad leader, and I think you portray him quite well-quiet, unassuming, but always watchful, taking in everything around him.

I did have a question about your spelling of the word "luitenent" - is that a deliberate choice? Normally, it's spelled "lieutenant". Other than that, you did an excellent job with this story-even Kirby was spot on! LOL

More please!
cma1 chapter 1 . 10/28/2009
Love how Emerson replies to each soldier at the fountain. Still, would love to read a story about Hanley, the tall, dark and DDG lieutenant. He reminds me of...oh, I don't know...someone else?