Reviews for Black Dress
J'aime ma vie chapter 1 . 2/12/2010
Considering that this is from the perspective of a young Phil Shortman, you pulled it off quite well. :) You nailed both their personalities perfectly and I had a good laugh at Gertie's eccentric grandmother reenacting the Civil War XD. It clearly runs in the family.

Lastly, I love how Phil and Gertie's romance mirrors Helga and Arnold's. Even though Helga and Arnold aren't mentioned in the story, you gave Gertie's voice a certain air to it that well all know too well Helga has.

Great job on this, it helps exemplify Gertie and Phil's relationship :)
mizgardenia21 chapter 1 . 1/10/2010
This was cool. I really liked this, because not a lot of people are willing to do a young Phil and Gertie. Good job!
Capital-C chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
Sapphyre Snow chapter 1 . 12/18/2009
Aw...I like it! So cute!
Kaelanti chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
As I initially read this, my own incorrect assumptions kept confusing me. It was such a delightful and unexpected twist to realize finally that you weren't talking about Arnold and Helga, but instead about Phil and Gertie.

Very nicely done, and fun to read.
Shahrezad1 chapter 1 . 10/31/2009
This is a wonderfully delightful surprise to find on Halloween. _ I love how out of everything you chose to write a one-shot about Arnold's Grandparents. Although, I've gotta say, I was confused for a while there. _;;

In any case, wonderful job. I think Phil turned out brilliantly, and the occupation choice makes sense for the time period they grew up in, as well as parts of their personalities.
Thundercatroar chapter 1 . 10/31/2009
Aw! That was terrific! What a wonderful thing to wake up and get to read!

I loved Phil's thought processes in regards to Gertie and her gradual thawing, of course we all know she was already thawed inside, it was that bit of fake frost on the outside that our man had to get through. ;D

As far Phil's employment history, as a youth he made tires during the depression on an assembly line (Back to School), and there was of course his stint as a "shoveler" for a circus following Jumbo and Big Nellie (Benchwarmer).

Anyway, I enjoyed it greatly and as Phoebe might say, "Favoriting!"

Jae B chapter 1 . 10/30/2009
I liked the fact you wrote a story about Grandpa. My only complaint is that he sounds too much like Arnold. ;) Nice story. Keep it up.

acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 10/30/2009
Very nice!

In some episodes, Phil commented he had lots of jobs during his youth; factory worker, tailor helper and so.

Keep the good writing.
animefreak03 chapter 1 . 10/30/2009
so refreshing to read about phil and gerite for a change. Well written and it was like reading a bout helga and arnold. Good job.
kialajaray chapter 1 . 10/30/2009
At first I thought it was Helga and Arnold, then I thought it was perhaps their grandchildren, but I didn't expect it to be Arnold's grandparents. I think that if they ever showed them enough when they were younger this is how they would act. Wonderful Oneshot! I hope you write more!