Reviews for Mazarbul
Belphegor chapter 1 . 10/31/2009
As always, Tiger, you deprive me of words after a good read :o) Always a joy to read something new from you, especially if it revolves around my favourite Dwarf. How many times can I repeat that you've got Gimli's character down pat? How much can I say I love the inner character you give the Dwarves and the places they inhabit without repeating myself? The way you tell the story, you really make a reader *feel* the majesty and sadness of the stone halls and lost pillars, you make both Gimli' and Thorin's pains very real, the tragedy of Khazad-Dûm a tangible sorrow.

I love the weight you give to words - and this is a world where words have a weight and meaning to them that differs according to who is speaking, and to whom. Gimli's choice of using "Gandalf" instead of the dwarven "Tharkûn" tells Thorin he doesn't speak as a diplomat and a witness anymore, but as a friend and brother in arms of Gandalf; it also (and again, most readers of Tolkien take this for granted, but *you* know how to pick up on essential character details) stresses just how alone Gimli (and Legolas, if we follow the same logic) was in the Fellowship. Aragorn and Boromir were, if not quite equals, at least Men; there were four hobbits; Gandalf has few peers. Gimli and Legolas both had a whole community behind them that they left to (in the beginning) carry news to Rivendell. No wonder they became such tight friends, really.

Thorin's dilemma as the leader who has to make the hard decisions and justify his actions is very interesting, and I like the subtle change in his perception of Gimli as not quite obviously younger than him anymore. He *will* need all the strength he can get to persuade the Dwarves not to return to Moria. A very interesting tidbit, by the way, is Gimli's use of the Elven word, which would no doubt be thought of as a major breach of politically correct among the Dwarves :o) That Gimli sees past the origin of the word through to its essential meaning (without even a passing remark about the elven word being judgemental) shows how much he's gained in lucidity and what not being blinded anymore by racial prejudice means.

In short - I love this story. I love the characterisation, the use of context to make the drama and the stakes work, and I love it that it ties with the general feeling of the Fourth Age being the age of Men, not older races. In Fear No Darkness, I remember a scene where Legolas reminds his father that most of the *really* heroic deeds were performed by either the Hobbits or the Men - and that *he* dropped his bow when confronted with the terror that was the Balrog. Gimli admits to the same "weakness" here, and I love this little parallel. I assume it was more or less on purpose? :o)

Always a joy to read from you. And *now* I'm repeating myself :D

Much of love,

Belphegor :o]
ziggy3 chapter 1 . 10/31/2009
Hey- you're back! Wonderful. The scene of the feast in the mountain is rich and vivid, lot of sound and visuals. Gimli is as always, perfectly portrayed- brave, confident, intelligent. The sense of loss is sharp and painful- enough to make me recall the first time I read LOTR and having loved the Hobbit as a child, sobbing my heart out to find kindly Balin dead- because he is the one who looks after Bilbo really. There is a wonderful atmosphere in this- from the loud feast to the quiet dark Halls where they talk, and I have a vivid picture of Gimli stirring the fire to make more light. And of course he would not tell all the news- it would be something the dwarves keep for themselves. As always, everything beautifully done- sigh. Lovely to get something from you. Thank you.
Aearwen22 chapter 1 . 10/31/2009
Oh, Brava!

What a fantastic glimpse into what must have been a very difficult confession for Gimli to make to his kinsmen. And what a very clear vision you have for the concerns, temptations and traditions of the dwarves. I've never seen Thorin portrayed so convincingly.

A wonderful Halloween treat. Thank you!
18 | « Prev Page 1 2