Reviews for Sympathy for the Devil
ilovemanicures chapter 1 . 1/9/2012
I've never actually read Gozaburo as his own person before. And I can't actually say I feel bad for him considering I hate his stinkin' guts :P

But I was honestly thinking all throughout this; Man I wish Seto could hear this.

It was actually that last line that really had me thinking about the development all the characters have been going through and it really intrigues me how well you balance so many deferent characters.

So congrats for posting something both incredible and readable ;D
KedakaiOkami chapter 1 . 12/5/2010
the end gives mixed feelings, you do feel a little sorry for Gozaburo, but it's more of a looking down pity, just because he was alone. But the fact that he brought that on himself, and was a tyrant means it couldn't be any other way, and it gives some satisfaction that in the end, Seto really did win.

perhaps the sympathy for Gozaburo comes from being a better person, or connecting with the characters, as fictional as they are, that some part has accepted; yes, he was a bastard, people are happier without him controlling them cruelly, but he's still Noa's father. And the only one he had. And a big part of Noa. So if one is to accept Noa, they must accept that he is his father's son, but not to assume he is his father, as they're so different in character
dragonlady222 chapter 1 . 12/3/2009
Great story. Gozaburo is starting to realise that even with a handpicked heir, he did not transcend death. He lived an empty life with no friends or family. All he had was money. He probably will go back to the afterlife feeling unsatisfied and unhappy about his life, now that he can see how it could have been. Soory it is so late, I was gone for the first 3 weeks in November and I'm still working my way through the 900 emails I had when I got back.
BitterGrace01 chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
I really enjoyed this one. It's so rare to see something from Gozaburo's point of view. I really like this series of stories actually. It's interesting to see things from the parent's point of view. It makes me want to hear Akunamukanon's thoughts. I mean from what little we saw of him in the manga and anime, I kind of imagine that he'd have a lot of guilt issues over Yami ending up in the Puzzle. He seems like that kind of person.

Anyway, it was a great story, and thanks for sharing.
xxBellatrix chapter 1 . 11/13/2009
Woow I really liked this story! It was so cool to hear a little about Gozaburo, without the usual "You'll never win, Seto!" in the background P

I love how you're slowly going around, giving each of the minor Yugioh characters more depth; like with Joey&Mai's baby, Seto's parents...

Maybe Yugi's parents will be the next to get some love?

I always wanted to know more about them, since really, we know nothing. And I know that you'd be the best person to handle their story.

As always, your story is amazing! Lots and lots of love 33
barrie18 chapter 1 . 11/12/2009
Interesting take on things. . .just a couple of questions and thoughts. ..

Where is this place that souls go? The way Goazabura is acting towards it all,its not hell, nor heaven. .. but rather sounds like a hold over place, where all these souls good and bad meander around for no reason at all. Perhaps now that he has seen he has been forgotten he has something to brood over. .. although, brood and Gozabura really don't sound like they work well together. Kill and destroy would be more his makeup :)

Next, although I do find that his justification for what he did to Seto was 'normal', I'm surprised at how calm he is about everything. Now I didn't expect a raging maniac, but he does seem to have shown Seto a less than temperate side, and he really comes off as being very placid and perhaps 'slightly annoyed by what he is witnessing. Not quite what I thought his personality was.

Have to admit, I was also surprised with the weekly lunch with Jiichan. .. considering how Seto feels about eating and basically has to schedule it into his day. I would have thought a weekly duel for the fun of it would have been more in keeping with the two of them. . unless Jiichan is trying to get him out to fatten him up a bit...rofl

I did enjoy this, and it was quite a different take on things when seen through the 'devil's eyes.. .he just seemed to be a very placid devil. . . rofl

bahen
Nenya85 chapter 1 . 11/9/2009
It was really interesting seeing everything from Gozaburo’s point of view. I really like how you made him intelligent, without softening him or making his actions any less chilling. In fact, it makes him even creepier in a way because there’s a real intelligence behind his abuse, as when he thinks about his beating Seto.

I liked the disparaging way he refers to Seto and Yami, because that felt really right on target, as did Gozaburo throughout this. And as a side note – his thinking he didn’t want to watch them jerk each other off, and then seeing Seto smiling because Gozaburo had been absolutely right about their morning activities was hysterically funny.

I liked his baffled fury as he tries to figure things out before his deadline ends. In an odd way his determination to figure it all out is where he reminded me most of Seto. And I liked his realization that he’d underestimated Mokuba – and his new assessment of him having the charisma of a born leader, because once again, where he thinks he should have set them against each other, he’s acute in his estimate of Mokuba and missing the point about their bond all at the same time.

My favorite part is the ending. It’s funny but it really tied in both with the beginning of the story and with “The Cost of Doing Business.” When Gozaburo thinks: “There was no longer victory to be grasped; not even a battleground upon which war could be waged. He had lost. He couldn’t even lie to himself and think, Well, at least Seto doesn’t realize he’s won, because the moment that boy had turned away from their fight, it was over, as if it had never been there at all.” It really made me think back to “Cost” and the moment when Seto starts to really open up with Yami, which in turn enables him to talk to Noa. If there was a moment when he won – that was probably it. And realizing that had gave the story even more impact.
PJ Zatken chapter 1 . 11/9/2009
I love this story. The flow was great. I could picture in my mind what's going on...the characterizations were good. It showed the complexity of the characters. I love the story pointing out the contrast between Seto at home and Seto once he steps inside KC.

It also showed Goza's complexity. Sure he was sick and cruel, but in this story the rhymes and reasons of a sick and cruel man was given flesh...justification.

All in all, another awesome story. Thanks very much for this :-)

PJ
Yaminisu chapter 1 . 11/8/2009
Alright...I'm glad to see you wrote another fic. Loved this one and I can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Darleneartist chapter 1 . 11/8/2009
Hi Bnomiko,

I thought this was really cool. You writting about Gorzaboro.

I think it gives more insight to how he feels towards Seto and his son.

I like the fact that he went into his old bed room first and saw Yami and Seto together.

I also loved it when he realized Mokuba got talent too. I also found it really cool when he saw his son was indeed alive and well and sleeping with Mokuba.

Liked how Mokuba handled the mess in thier room and Yami as well.

Seto just did his usual thing and let his mate handle it because he is also in charge too.

Gorzaboro is indeed amazed that Kaiba Corp is doing so well and I liked how he went about the building and into Seto's office and noticed the picture frame and the changing pictures.

I think he is missing the big picture that Seto has a family now and a company.

I also love the touch of Jichan coming over to have lunch with Seto each week

Jichan is a good influance on Seto and is alot better father figure for Seto to build on.

Excellent chapter and I enjoyed the long read. Darleneartist.