Reviews for Candlecast
sonder this chapter 1 . 11/21/2015
I love the way you manipulate the English language here; it's very lyrical and telling of the times in the world of Aion - ancient and timeless. Heck, my only exposure to Aion has been my friend's screenshots of her character designs so honestly, I have no idea what Aion is really like but the fact that I can tell from just your narration alone speaks for itself. Never do your words feel overbearing or stray into purple prose, which some writers are wont to do when they try to emulate the narrative style of the epic genre.

Your opening line was an eye-catcher and it just held my eyes from there, such a sense of mystery and suspense and when the story finally closed, I was given a sense of Ahh, so that's how it is. Less ominous than I imagined, heh. Even though this was not a detailed play-by-play of these two's relationship, you give enough food for thought of the kind of dynamics they shared and I can easily figure the type of things they must have argued about. But by the end, they both learned something from the other but I guess it took the extent of death to realize it.

What I really, really liked was how you did not romanticize love, especially in the context of immortality, as a lot of people tend to believe love is everlasting and beautiful and my, if both lovers can be immortal? But they forget love is not without its own trials and it's not always a steady stream of passion. You showed the two extremes of a relationship, from lovers to enemies, the in-betweens and the after-effects in just one-shot - marvelous job!
Kaltlicht chapter 1 . 1/7/2014
this is sweet :)well written! interesting! loved the part about lovers to enemies and future to present to past!
Eveina chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
I love you descriptions! It's beautiful!
kris tay chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
Lovely! I never thought of an Aion fanfiction based on the two until I read this. Very very nice. :)
Kakashiz chapter 1 . 7/14/2012
Nice wording, smooth and mysterious. Good job.
TheCitizen26 chapter 1 . 5/31/2011
a very well written story... i hope you make more aion stories as the game's world and lore holds so much potential for very diverse plots and settings.
ECL43 chapter 1 . 12/27/2010
This is such a beautiful, amazing story!
Griddlebone chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
This is probably one of the best fanfics I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I loved the tone and style, and the way you brought Ariel and Azphel to life. Wonderful!
Seta chapter 1 . 1/7/2010
A bittersweet story. Ariel lady of light of the elyos and Lord Asfel of the Asmodeans. torn apart both by there conflicting personalities and worlds.

I love the way you write. Such dental and emotion into every sentence. It's captivateing and makes you beg for more. I'm also greatly awaiting the next chapter of your other fic the Lay.

Keep up your amazing work. Those of us lucky enough to come across such masterful works greatly enjoy them.
Musica chapter 1 . 11/9/2009
I will admit that I am unfamiliar with Aion lore at this time. I plan to read it after I have explored Atreia more and the spoilers are fewer. On that note, I cannot really critique Asphel, Ariel or Marchutan.

I will say, however, that you tied things together very well. The opening line was a great attention grabber. I loved how you brought back those two lines of dialogue at the end - it rounded the oneshot for me. The other lines that stood out were the advice they gave each other, such as her useing subtlety to make him reckless. Very clever.

The detail you used felt like The Lay in the formality, but it was broader, probably because this was third person omniscient and not first person. It is nice to see something different in a person's style, versatility in an author that yet preserves their voice. (I have come to realize that I write more formally after reading your work. It's very interesting)

I will revisit this after I have read the lore of the game, but I enjoyed it even without knowing the history. I might have to pick up WoW lore just to read your other writings.