Reviews for The Art of Manipulation
Leonca chapter 1 . 7/9/2011
I’m trying to decide which is creepier- the ideas presented in this story, or your disclaimer.
Twitchylicious chapter 1 . 2/2/2010
This was absolutely stunning. Stayed true to character, for sure. Oh, and can I get a bite of him? :D
AZ-woodbomb chapter 1 . 1/17/2010
Your grasp of Crane is truly unnerving. I often find it hard to make his experiments sound intelligent and purposeful, but you do it perfectly. I probably don’t want to know how you got all your insights, do I?
thebison chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
Toccata No. 9,

This piece is particulary poetic, and I love the main metaphorical theme that you chose. It offers a nice perception of Crane's character, and a very analytical break-down of what he's trying to accomplish.

Although, the ending is very disjointed compared to the rest and doesn't really relate to the first topic. It doesn't really break until the very last line, but then the solidarity of the piece is broken. What exactly were you trying to convey through the last line?

I love how the piece captures the cynical perspective on humanity and human-kind. How we act, and why, and etc. It's always wonderful when writers incorporate deeper thoughts into their writing. Nice job.

Yours Truly,

SubjectiveReality
CyanideDreams610 chapter 1 . 12/2/2009
Absolutely brilliant
HoistTheColours chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
I've been meaning to review this for quite a while, but I didn't have the time after I had read it and then after that I had promptly forgotten.

Anyway, I have to tell you: the main reason why I decided to check this out was because I see you commenting other people's stories all the time and you always say really insightful things and I thought it was always interesting to read what you had said.

I also wanted to check this out because I recently wrote an essay for school that was titled "The Art of Deception" which is practically the same thing as YOUR title, (with a slight difference, of course.) Crazy, right?

Anyway, that information all aside, I thought this one shot was REALLY good. Crane is quite an interesting character to study and try to pick apart. He's also one of those characters that you have to be careful when dissecting because Crane holds this delicate balance between obsession with fear/tormented soul type thing. I can only imagine that as a child he was probably picked on a lot, (well, that's what I LIKE to think anyway, truth is I am not quite sure) but I believe you did a perfect job with capturing his inner thoughts.

That information all aside as well, let me get to my main point: your writing? It’s FANTASTIC. I love love love it. For such a short piece of work you deliver quite a powerful punch. ‘It is poetic, comparing control to puppets on strings. A little jerk here, a little nudge there. Humans become marionettes with limp and broken bodies mindlessly following hands accustomed to leading. It isn’t terribly hard, in stories, to snap a girl up in deceptions or twist some poor sap to submission. It never is.’ -Excellent point you made there. I really liked those lines. It was a great way to open up this one shot.

In short, I totally loved this piece. You dove straight into the world of fear and control and in turn created this amazingly wonderful brilliant piece of work that I sincerely wish more people could read. It is beyond me why you haven’t received any reviews for this - unless, of course there are people like me out there who sometimes forget to review and don’t come back until weeks later to do it. Oops.

Once again, superb job. Hopefully I’ll end up reading some of your other stuff too. If it’s half as great as this, you can do no wrong.

Sincerely,