Reviews for Retreat
Igenlode Wordsmith chapter 1 . 11/16/2015
A vivid piece of historical writing on Watson's Afghan service as a doctor in battle, coupled with a neatly sketched-in present day plot as we work out exactly what has happened to him via snippets of overheard conversation. The parallels between the two scenes are beautifully dovetailed in - e.g. Watson refuses a drink in memory and we realise that in reality they are trying to get medicine down him - and the viewpoint is sympathetic while being solidly 19th-century: Watson has compassion for the 'faithful brown men', but he doesn't expect to be able to make the same demands on them that he does on himself.

I love the fresh phrases re-minted here: "the runnel of [cold] fear that keeps his spine straight", "ululating like women at a wedding", water that trickles as "thin mud into his mouth". Words that tell us everything without cliché and laboured explanation.

Excellent characterisation, convincing military history, perfect balance between past and present, credible Holmes and Watson hurt/comfort - I love that last line!
pebbles66 chapter 1 . 11/12/2014
I love the end, with Watson knowing his part in an often repeated dialogue.
NightFuryofGallifrey chapter 1 . 11/6/2013
Ahh. That was beautiful. And now I think I shall go to bed and cry.
I love the way you wove in the past and the present. Flashbacks are difficult to pull off well, but you did it excellently! Everyone felt extremely in character.
And it's late and I should be in bed, so apologies if I'm rambling or not making sense.
Overall a beautifully evocative story.
hannah!
forgetmenotjimmy chapter 1 . 4/21/2012
Very evocative, nice one!

:D
thesunwillshineclear chapter 1 . 12/31/2011
The switching back and forth from reality to hallucinations was fantastic! And the ending was perfection ;)
FearOfDeathIsIllogical chapter 1 . 11/16/2011
They apparently got some bad Turkish Delight. They should be more careful.
Arhie chapter 1 . 10/22/2011
This is a thing of beauty. The whole flashback is touching, the snippets of reality are very well done, and the last line is hilarious and on character and altogether perfect. Thanks for a great fic.
TrisakAminawn chapter 1 . 9/22/2011
Awwww. Holmes' lines were neat, too, but the 'action' and 'setting' narration struck a pretty good balance between effect and style.

As a student of the Anglo-afghan wars, I know that in the first at least the majority of the Indian help the British brought were Sikhs, and thus monotheists...but the odds of that not holding are decent enough, and the odds of Watson neither knowing nor caring better, so I suppose it doesn't matter. It was a nice moment either way. He's such a nice guy.
sherlockfic chapter 1 . 7/3/2011
Love the format. I can tell exactly who's talking and who's thinking.

Such a sweet and tense story.

I was surprised that Holmes was reading a book but then it made sense that Watson was out of it and Holmes is sitting by him and THEN that Watson won't let his sleeve go.

THEN it comes across that Holmes is actually reading a book of poisons - so even while he's (probably) bored by the bedside he's reading to help Watson.

Just so sweetly done.
To-AntigoneEvenstar chapter 1 . 5/23/2011
Wow, incredible story. Realistic for both sides of the story. Good job.
elecktrum chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
Man, Turkish delight gets a bad rap . . .
Mysterylover17 chapter 1 . 2/10/2010
Wow, fantastic story. You really brought the pain of Afghanistan to life while maintaining the wonderful relationship between Holmes and Watson. Brava! And, the last line about Holmes eating, that was brilliant! Wonderful work.
Miss Fenway chapter 1 . 1/5/2010
Okay, I laughed at the end. It was a little funny plus the stress I was feeling while reading this tense story was making me a little emotionally unstable. Loved it. *favorites*
PeanutTree chapter 1 . 12/31/2009
Oh, lovely! The last sentence just made me smile. The way you wove the memories of war and the present war against the poison was brilliant.
MontyPythonFan chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
Brilliant fic. Absolutely love the format.

Got the characters perfect. Fab :-D :-D