Reviews for Caveat Inimici
Lots-of-Little-Pink-Clouds chapter 1 . 2/21
Wow. Just... Wow.

Okay, I have many thoughts on this, bare with me.

Firstly, I loved the narrative structure of this piece. Reading it from Crookshanks' POV is great - you get to see Hermione from a different perspective as opposed to the rather rampant Harry POV, Ron POV, amongst others. The fact it's from Crookshanks' POV gives you insight into his relationship with Hermione - I can SENSE the respect that Crookshanks has for his mistress and I loved the way you tied in his kneazle side with his cat side. It gave me lots of insight into his character that you rarely ever see in HP fanfiction and I LOVED it.

Secondly, Hermione. Oh. My. God. Yes. Yes. Just... Yes. I can see her thought process in her narration - you did an amazing job on that btw - and the pacing I found was really good. The gradual build up with what Hermione did to Marietta and Umbridge leading into the reveal of Ginny's betrayal was really well done (while I understand that Ginny left Harry and stuff ensued, I'm still not entirely certain of WHAT exactly she did, specifically did she just up and disappear or did she cheat on him etc, but I like the ambiguity). I LOVED how Hermione's brilliance is spot on and how you describe how she comes to her conclusions, I LOVED the viciousness that is uniquely HERMIONE that you developed in this story, I LOVED watching the build up to the reveal of what Hermione plans on doing to Ginny.

Thirdly, the author's note at the end. Reading your author's note then reading through the story again brought a level of understanding that I didn't have at first when I read it the first time. Your Hermione is believable and her thought process follows to the relevant conclusion that I can infer based on her character in this fic. Same with Ginny. I could understand why Hermione was specifically vindictive towards her just as I could understand the thought process going through Ginny's mind about her own actions. The amount of believability that is in this fic is AMAZING.

I loved this story a lot. Thank you SO MUCH for writing it. Honestly, it makes me want to write something with this Hermione, though it probably won't be as good as what you have here. Keep doing what you're doing! :)
RoverMaelstrom chapter 1 . 12/12/2017
This was absolutely amazing. I don't have any deep thoughts for you, but I wanted to let you know that I absolutely, absolutely loved this.
RainyDayReader chapter 1 . 10/30/2017
Amazing, very unique story. Hermione as an Unspeakable is a very logical career choice - she always wants to research and "discover." And this would be her protectiveness of Harry taken to an extreme. Very nicely done!
Noble Korhedron chapter 1 . 10/23/2017
Ho-ly crap! Note to self, NEVER get on Hermione's bad sideā€¦
freethepoet chapter 1 . 10/20/2017
This is phenomenal, and such, such, SUCH a good portrayal of a darker Hermione that maintains her character!
Guest chapter 1 . 9/22/2017
This is a wonderful fic and I think your version of Dark!Hermoine is absolutely amazing. :)
Toodamnmanyfandoms chapter 1 . 9/8/2017
Oooooh... I absolutely loved this.
-I love stories that portray Hermione as strong, independent, and vengeful. Seeing it done within the bounds of canon was amazing.
-I personally have no siblings, so I have a mild obsession with the idea of having siblings (or friends close enough to be considered siblings). Harry/Hermione sibling relationships make me very happy, especially when done well.
-I loved the bits from Crookshanks' point of view, and I absolutely adored the idea of Hermione becoming an Unspeakable.
In summary: holy shit that was awesome, and I aspire to be able to write like that someday.
YakAge chapter 1 . 8/31/2017
While I certainly think the spell is unreasonably powerful, it's not actually a problem for me.
I'm totally on board with your take on Hermione's post-war character. She's always had an unreasonably vicious streak wherever her friends were concerned. Rita's imprisonment, while described in a light tone in the novel, is really horrible.

I can understand your decision so develop Hermione's character by pointing out her grudges against Marietta and Rita, but I have to point out that I feel like there's no point Hermione could hope to achieve by doing so (in regards to Ginny). Here, the narrative layers of exposition and development and the structural unit of Hermione's monologue have a bit of friction.

I like the stylistic decision to make use of the spell as the medium of Hermione's message of wrath, though. The monologue feels very personal, direct and thus highly emotional.
To make the incancation, so to speak, the whole story framed only by the perspective of Crookshanks also makes it seem complete and finished. This clashes a bit with the cat's interpretation of Hermione's ongoing hunt, but I don't really mind this bit.

All in all, I'd like to say that this is a very well-written one-shot. I don't really feel like writing a deeply analytical review right now, but this is definitely worth every second you spend reading it.
Thank you.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/25/2017
So good. I'd be very interested to read a longer story using this version of hermione
KMH1 chapter 1 . 4/26/2017
Well written and your note at the end was very informative as well. I can definitely see how this could be canon and it truly showcases the "brilliant, but scary" Hermione.
Critic lol chapter 1 . 4/17/2017
WHAT did i just read? Did i really spend all this time reading this? WHY HAVEN'T I FOUND THIS BEFORE? THIS IS BLOODY BEAUTIFUL! No, I don't think you understand the extent to which I love this fanfiction- no, this isn't even Fanfiction. This is a pure masterpiece built upon the basis of literature. I really really really REALLY REALLY REEEALLLLY am in love with this. The portrayal of all the characters, the motives, the actions- GOSH ITS MAKING ME FLUSH IN HAPPINESS. The endless game that Hermione decides to play with Ginny, the build up from Edgecombe to Ginny, how it all comes together in the end, the bittersweet torture- like salt in the wound! The quotes you used; I really love this, i really do. Like i think of the books of J.K Rowling, i think of this. It was only literature in the first sentence, after that, it became a legacy.
DarkSorcerer888 chapter 1 . 10/29/2016
I'm sure that if the charm wasn't a DOM secret, then it would already be stamped as an unforgivable. That charm is brutal!
shieldmaiden19 chapter 1 . 10/17/2016
Greetings! This was an excellent fic, not only because it was the only Dark Hermione story I've read that kept her in character, but also because your writing was so compelling that I was on the edge of my seat by the time Hermione reveals the Kol Shagaon. Thank you for this well-crafted, well-researched, and deeply-considered story. I will most likely be coming back to reference your Note in the course of my own work. In the meantime, I look forward to reading your other writings. May you always have the right words at the right time!

Brenden chapter 1 . 6/10/2016
LJ Summers chapter 1 . 4/7/2016
Oh yes. I love this. Dark, vengeful Hermione makes me smile.

Really. :)