Reviews for Delenda Est
DELETED ACCOUNT 9876543421 chapter 6 . 4/7/2011
Great chapter, I absolutely love your characterizations, and you write all this political stuff, with political views and all that really well, the concept of how muggle weapons are too powerful to be blocked by magic is extremely interesting and creative, the meeting between Malfoy and Black was really well written, as is how Bellatrix is trying to try to figure out who Harry is, and his past.
DELETED ACCOUNT 9876543421 chapter 5 . 4/7/2011
Amazing, love it so far, the fight was a great touch, liked how you wrote it, it had lots of detail, about Harry's fighting style, and how he was trained, and I liked the idea that Bellatrix asks him to help her steal money from her vault, and that in return, she tells him where he can get forged document, and the idea that he gets a wand from a store other than Olivander's. The dinner party was really well written, with how he confronted the Crabbes and Goyles. I like how you characterized Bellatrix, also. You write the political stuff well.
DELETED ACCOUNT 9876543421 chapter 2 . 4/7/2011
WOW, THIS FIC IS AMAZING! I love it, such a good idea, and it's so original, having Belatrix betray the Dark Lord, and put her in Harry's cell, and the conversations were so funny, and extremely well written, I loved them, and I really like the idea that she kills herself with the hairpin, and somehow Harry ends up in the past, when she had first found it. The confrontation between Harry and James was brilliant, I loved how Harry ended it, and reprimanded both Bellatrix and James, they were pretty motivational short speeches, liked how you had Bellatrix realize that harry understood the real meaning of her house.

I'm going to read the next chapter now :)
SovereignGFC chapter 16 . 4/3/2011
First: MOAR. Because MOAR!

Now, to avoid sounding like a child, here's the serious part. I can't put my finger on it, but the two of you seem to have matured as authors since "Earl of the North." I don't know why, but this story seems more "grown-up." Keep it up!

I also am enjoying the apparent Thirty Xanatos Pileup occurring here. Harry has his own agenda, Bellatrix's motives have become more complex as the story's moved forward, and of course the rest of the wizarding world isn't sitting still either. I am intrigued by the integration of historical Muggle occurrences (mainly WW2 but also the development of Muggle weapons) as part of the back-story for why the Blacks act the way they do. It's too easy to make black-and-white villains, or to have people switch roles/sides in ways that are unbelievable. However, the careful pragmatism of the Blacks, Malfoys et. al. is well-crafted, has basis in the reality in which the character are presented and doesn't seem out-of-place. And of course, there's the inevitable question of whether someone's going to pull a Face Heel Turn, but it's just that: a question. There's no burning sense of "Obviously, so-and-so is going to change sides" or, heck, even a hint that someone might change. It just pops up in the order of processing rather complex, Machiavellian-ish characters who may have motivations they're not revealing.

What amuses me as a reader is that, because readers are in a position of omniscience, we often say "Why did he do that?" or "Why didn't she ask about this?" Yet, the characters on the page don't have this knowledge. Done wrong, it's an Idiot Plot. Done right, it's suspenseful. This has been pretty much all suspense. Such design helps to create a sense of realism as well. If everything's just too easy/too hard, the whole enterprise becomes predictable. You've captured the "realistically-moving" story speed. No MENSA with the four-piece jigsaw or putting a monkey in the cockpit of an advanced stealth bomber.

I think the use of a completely alternate reality is a good thing because it avoids the traditional "Let's go back and fix X, Y and Z so that everyone ends up with a unicorn and pot 'o gold." It also enables the authors to explore more "what-if" avenues without having to explicitly state them, because, hey, this timeline's different!

RE: The (inevitable) romance-Good job not giving it to us right away. Again, see the portion about realistic story speeds. Sure, A Wizard Did It (a lot of things in this universe, anyway), but that doesn't make it any better to just have the intended couple jump into each other's arms without really having any character development.

Overall: A gritty, realistic take on what happens if Harry is thrown back in time.

Looking forward to the next update!
maximumtrouble10 chapter 16 . 4/3/2011
This story is excellent. I love the concept of Bellatrix being tortured back INTO sanity, and you have done an excellent job with young Bellatrix retaining the character traits of old Bellatrix-such as when Bellatrix giggled at Rodolphus and Lucius during the chase as well as her magical prowess-but have created a very interesting personality aside from the known. I really like the interactions between Harry and Bellatrix, and you do an excellent job portraying Harry as concomitantly Slytherin and Gryffindor-trying to hide his identity/not reveal too much and meeting the Dark Lord with minimal preparation. The twist of ownership of the wands is very intriguing as well. Please update soon!
Ivar Hugo chapter 16 . 3/31/2011
I’ve been meaning to review this story before, but have been too lazy to get to get to it until now. First things first: this is a great story and I eagerly look forward to updates.

Now, if you don’t mind, I would like to say why I think this is a good story, and how badly it can go wrong if you and your co-author become too lax in your standards.

As far as time-travel stories go, it was a very good decision to have Harry come from a future where Voldemort was victorious, and furthermore have it NOT be a choice of Harry’s to venture into the past. Too many stories have Harry go back in time to correct the mistakes he made, even though he won in the end. How irresponsible it is to destroy a future simply because one is dissatisfied with a pyrrhic victory.

Your best decision is the limitations you have placed on Harry’s power. Your Harry is powerful, no doubt - a warrior tempered in battle - but he is young, his schooling cut short, and in the end his adversary proved to be stronger. And, in a further illustration of your good judgment, you have intimated that this Voldemort is even stronger than the future version that already beat Harry. This is simply an excellent choice on your part, since it creates real peril for our hero, who still manages to be impressive with his magical skills. It gives him something to struggle against and aspire to. Too many stories have Harry eclipse Voldemort, removing all drama and tension from the very beginning. Of course, all this good effort on your part could be for naught if you arbitrarily make Harry stronger. By all means, have him improve his skills, but make it a gradual and believable process, and make sure that when the story draws to a close we readers still can entertain the notion that the hero could lose; it makes for more exciting reading.

The relationship between Harry and Bellatrix is both fascinating and frustrating. I think many authors would be quick to have them develop romantic feelings for each other, but you have chosen wisely to forestall that (I’m sure) inevitable conclusion. Harry has ample reason to be wary around Bellatrix, even if it is only her younger incarnation, and it will probably be more satisfying in the long run if whatever is happening between them has the chance to grow naturally. However, some of Harry’s obstinacy is a bit vexing. Why be so reluctant to practice sparring with her? Why wait so long to get a new wand? (In the end, you have handled the wands excellently; no cliched “super-wands”, for instance). I hope Harry’s seeming irrationality is a calculated move on your part, and that he simply doesn’t know if he can trust Bellatrix. Of course, it would be nice to see him begin to move away from this behaviour. As far as Bellatrix goes, she’s an interesting character, but I think it would be fun to see a few more aspects of her frightening future persona to be displayed. She’s Slytherin and a Black, after all; let her be a little vicious from time to time. I mean, this is supposed to be Harry/Bella, right? Not Harry/OC!SlytherinGirl?

Now there’s talk of a marriage contract upon Bellatrix’s graduation. I wonder, will any development in their potentially romantic relationship have to wait until then, to remove any hint of impropriety that a liaison between student and teacher would entail? Will the pace quicken? Will Harry go on to another occupation when Slughorn recovers?

It was surprising and gratifying that you made Harry the Potions Professor. It would be more natural for him to teach Defence, of course, but it was nice how you subverted expectations. Having Harry teach Snape potions is a fun reversal, but of course Harry’s skill at the art is still inferior to his erstwhile tormentor’s. This is another relationship that is interesting and I hope to see more Harry-Snape-Lily-interaction.

Finally, allow me to reiterate: GOOD STORY! Beware the perils and pitfalls of “super-Harry”! Keep up the good job! Looking forward to updates etc.
AFM chapter 16 . 3/29/2011
I have to admit, normally the thought of Harry/Bellatrix drives me insane, however this whole 'being tortured back into sanity' before he goes back was interesting to read, and you've created actual intelligent Slytherins rather than a bunch of Draco's. This is very satisfying to read. Thank you for writing.
Rakkety Tam chapter 16 . 3/28/2011
I want another chapter! With that being said, this was an interesting chapter. We've seen some things come to a head, and now they will have to proceed without the inside information on Tom. Luckily, Harry knows a bit about how he operates and his weaknesses. With the Black family handling the political side of things and several students having been exposed as followers of the Dark Lord things seem to be moving at an interesting pace. The whole moving in with Lily and subsequent excuse for it seemed forced, but here is to the hope that it translates into some Harry/Lily awkwardness!
Amelius88 chapter 16 . 3/28/2011
I hardly ever see credible Harry/Bellatrix stories so this one is a delight to come across. Whilst it's not a pairing I particularly follow, I love finding well written, original ideas like this.

I think your characterisations are excellent and it's nice seeing a believable version of a young Bellatrix, who's manipulative and self-serving without being totally corrupt. I really look forward to reading more of this.
Marauders map chapter 6 . 3/27/2011
Lucius Malfoys fathers real name was Abraxcius
buzzbumble chapter 16 . 3/27/2011
Brilliant! Will harry still be able to talk with snakes now he's in the past? What a laugh about his mum having a crush on him!
maria chapter 16 . 3/26/2011
its been forever since you updated! please, please, please, write some more chapters. i need to know what happens next!

Bolondka chapter 16 . 3/25/2011
One of the best stories I found so far. You have to update soon!
SeaStones chapter 16 . 3/24/2011
Um, yes? God, yeeeeess. MORE!

Err, excuse me. Please update soon!
FrankyJ chapter 16 . 3/23/2011
Great story. I cant wait for an update.
6,923 | « Prev Page 1 .. 350 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 370 .. Last Next »