Reviews for Sacrifices
The Bitter Kitten chapter 1 . 9/10/2012
Oh, man.
CASS IT IS NOT COOL THAT HE DIED THAT WAY.

It's so sad. I love this line: [ It is a struggle not to push Shisui away and try to forget this whole thing, to just go back home to his family and his brother and pretend that everything is normal, pretend that everything will be alright.]
At first I read it as (well-done) internal conflict about being out with Shisui, but man, after the end, it hits so much harder. There's so much tension here, and all of it is well done- I found myself on the edge of my seat, not knowing why, until, well.

You describe the characters well. I don't actually know who they are, but I get a good feel of their personalities and physical appearance from this. You also explain key points of the plot well enough that I'm not all "lolol what's a mangekyou sharingan"

Super awesome job!
SkywardDiamond chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
I appreciate that bit at the end that talks about the cicadas. That's awesome that you research things to write authentically. That's so important...

I can see why this piece is near and dear to your heart. It's...powerful. The warning at the top says "character death", but I failed to put two and two together, so I certainly didn't see that murder coming. I was a bit shocked by that. I think it was mostly because it was preceded by a passionate almost-makeout session.
"The price of the mangekyou sharingan is to kill the one you care for most"
Seriously? Holy crap, that sucks...

I love the descriptions in this fic. The images you paint are striking yet not over-the-top. I know I'm guilty of this sometimes, hehe.
The moon/moonlight is mentioned several times throughout. Six times, actually, I counted. I should probably go back and count how many times the characters' names are mentioned. I was curious if this was deliberate. It's almost as if the moon is a character in itself, a silent witness of sorts. It spends it time moving, reflecting and, at the end, mocking. It's interesting...

I love the inclusion of childlike innocence in this. Anything that features sharp contrasts (and does it well) grabs my attention immediately. One moment the character is thinking about the innocence that he wished he still had, and the next moment he is taking the life of the one he holds most dear. It's strange, though, as it is a 'sacrifice', something done for the greater good. I don't understand it, but it's intriguing nonetheless.

So, this is really great. Thanks for writing it!
Sychronergy chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
"They are shinobi, he knows, and they can’t afford to be children. Not for tonight; not even for one last time. - In war, there are always sacrifices -"

I think you're trying to go for dramatic? Drama would tune up a notch if it's shorter. Like, an active, aggressive, "Shinobi can't afford to be children. Not even for one last time. Tonight, there will be a sacrifice." (Random reword.)

Other than that... ._.;;I LOVE it. The build up was intense, and the scene was beautiful. I love how it's in present tense; that always makes oneshots more vivid.
ChasingProse chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
That was beautiful.
Relala chapter 1 . 11/22/2009
Relala is trying very hard to remember who Shisui is but she doesn't give a damn. Yay slash-tastic fun. I adore everything you write, Cas, and I wish you'd update more.

Memorable quotes:

The moon is high and bright in the midnight sky, its reflection shimmering and flittering as it dances playfully along the black surface of the river. It flickers and distorts across the water, shifting with the currents; playful, enticing him to join it in its game. (I'm so gonna rip this off sometime.)

"Shisui trembles under Itachi’s frozen touch"

"He feels a break within himself, then; the fleeting remnants of his humanity vanish, tangibly, like the life in Shisui’s eyes. This is his sacrifice." (This is a masterpiece on its own.)
Rae-kun chapter 1 . 11/20/2009
This was very beautiful...