Reviews for All Things Unexpected
EstellaDoreaBlack chapter 1 . 6/10/2010
Yes, the incident happens before "Snape's Worst Memory" - in DH, Snape and Lily are seen discussing the werewolf incident in a scene that takes place before their friendship is destroyed.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 4/27/2010
Excellent. A pity no one considered Snape worth saving, not even his author.
RebeccaRoy chapter 1 . 12/16/2009
Wow, I could see this as part of cannon, there is no reason why Severus could not be a sixth year prefect. Great job here!
Golum chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
I liked this story. Thanks! Also I understand perfectly about not reading DH. I myself have been unable to face reading this book- a shame considering how much I enjoyed the first six books...[though only loving one character- Snape.]
Archea chapter 1 . 11/17/2009
From one non-English writer to another... your written English is really first-class. Don't know if there's to be a follow-up on this but I'd like to read more of your take on Severus (and Dumbledore - book seven had me grinding my teeth too in that respect).
duj chapter 1 . 11/15/2009
I'm afraid it is true: the evidence is incontrovertible. (Hmm, it might even have been me who told you.) It's not only that all Snape's other memories in DH, ch 33, are in chronological order, but that Snape is still claiming Lily as his best friend as of right - and she agrees - when the Shack incident "the other night" comes up in their conversation. I don't see how one could imagine that happening *after* the Mudblood comment.

Your idea of Snape resigning would still work with him as fifth year prefect, but the staff conversation in the first section of the fic would need some tweaking. The most difficult point to reconcile would be the mention of Snape standing up to his erstwhile friends over their language.

I don't quite agree with Totalreadr, because I think it's clear Lily had already begun to turn against Snape even before the werewolf incident. She didn't bother visiting him after what she knew was a near-death incident, she thought Mary's bully problems were more important than his, she had been rejecting his werewolf theory out of hand, and she trusted the Marauders' account so unquestioningly she *refused* to hear his. But the incident was still something of a turning-point for Lily, because it presented James as a hero and Snape as a vengeful loony.
totalreadr at yahoo chapter 1 . 11/15/2009
"someone told me recently that the Werewolf incident happened before Snape's (and company's) OWLs and Snape's Worse Memory based on DH. Is it true?"

Yes, it's true. And it's kind of necessary, too, to really understand the Severus/Lily backstory. Severus was sworn to secrecy about the whole incident. His bitterness toward the Marauders increased, and Lily saw this but didn't know the reason, so she thought he was just turning into an unpleasant, negative loser. He was worried about Lily being surprised by the werewolf as he had been, and he was sure Sirius had actually tried to kill him, and he almost certainly thought James had been in on it - so from his perspective these were very dangerous, evil people and he wanted to protect Lily from them.

In one scene in "The Prince's Tale" in DH, we see that Severus was *desperate* to protect Lily from them. He tried to warn her about how awful they were, but he couldn't *tell* her his she thought he was just jealous. Just trying to make her think less of his romantic rival so she'd choose him by default, instead of manning up and asking her out.

The irony - JKR loves irony - is that "trying to make Lily think less of his rival so she'd choose him by default, instead of just treating her well himself like a decent person" is actually what *James* was doing. Humiliating Severus in front of Lily so she'd think less of him, as in SWM. Severus OTOH certainly wanted Lily for himself, but in criticizing the Marauders to her, he was actually also trying to warn her about people he genuinely believed (and had good reason to believe) were dangerous and evil.

But Lily didn't know that.

Because Dumbledore had sworn Severus to secrecy.

So according to DH, the Werewolf Incident was actually a or *the* major cause of Severus and Lily's rift.

BTW - DH also has Lily tell Severus, "I heard about what happened the other night. You went sneaking down the tunnel to the Shrieking Shack, and James Potter saved you from whatever's down there." So another thing James did (or Sirius, Peter or Remus did on his behalf) was tell Lily just enough of the story to make James look good, without telling her that Sirius (and possibly James and Peter as well) had specifically arranged for Severus to meet "whatever's down there." Talk about being a bad friend to Remus - using a half-truth to make James look good to Lily, at the expense of infuriating Severus, who *knew Remus' secret* and now had a *huge* provocation to *tell* it? Rely on the discretion of the enemy you just deliberately provoked?