Reviews for Identity
flairina chapter 48 . 2/24
Well, this seems like a good place for this.

Unfortunately, "war" stories are generally not my thing. Stories with lots of battles, yep, stories with lots of violence, alright- stories with mass war, where that, the seriousness, and the deaths that accompany it are the focus... yeah, not really my cup of tea. That said, there's nothing really "wrong" with this given that that's sort of my problem, not yours. (I'm still gonna finish this though; I didn't read this far in to stop here.)

As before, you've got a strong grasp of character and motivation here, and since- as indicated by the above AN- that seems to be what you were going for, feel good in that you accomplished that quite well, both for the canon characters and the ones you've developed. That's probably the strongest element in this story; it shows that you were really working on that. The changes in psyche as we go along are quite easy to follow, and make perfect sense. Well done on that.

Rarely have I seen this much involvement from the Phoenix in any Ranma fic, and I'm glad you took advantage of the possibilities the characters and Surikomi eggs presented. The plot itself seems fairly original in general, though I did find myself making comparisons to "Her War" in terms of concept (Jusenkyo Tribe kidnaps and imprisons Ranma, war eventually ensues). It strays plenty far away in terms of plot though, so no worries there. I can't think of anything else to really compare it too in terms of things I've read, which is perhaps a good thing.

I did find myself confused by what the "true forms" of any of the main sorcerers (Wuya/Kohl, Tilaka) were for quite a while. I understood the whole gender shifting thing before Ranma did, but when they're thinking of themselves as being in their "true form" when they're in their cursed form, things get a bit befuddling to read. I don't see that as being particularly avoidable though, unless you didn't write from their point of view at all, which wouldn't make much sense to do for a story like this. It's a minor quip, and I managed to figure it out eventually anyways.

So yeah, overall, strong writing and character, but not really my type of story. Nicely done regardless. :)
JReyBr chapter 54 . 8/6/2012
Read through this bad boy straight and I can easily say that I'm looking forward to where it goes. It's not often you find a story with characters that feel like their actions could come from the people that the creator had originally created.
J Luc Pitard chapter 54 . 8/2/2012
Wonderful story! Really loving the writing and the adventure. Akane and Ranma do a yeoman's job of growing up in this fic. New characters feel totally true to the series and the dilemmas faced by the supporting characters are just as well realized as those of the main ones.

I look forward to reading more of your work and I promise to review more on a chapter by chapter basis as you update this.
Guest chapter 43 . 7/15/2012
Spoiler

I like this story but you didn't keep ***** being the sieve secret well enough. I knew many many chapters before it was revealed.
Guest chapter 54 . 7/1/2012
I pretty much cried to the beauty of your writing style. This is perfection. I love the depth of this, the emotions, the absolute bombardment of feelings that comes from the simplest phrases. The way you wrap up the characters' feelings into a concluding sentence after each scene is like tying the perfect bow on the most beautiful gift. But in this case, as a reader, I've unwrapped it in reading the awe-inspiring way, appreciating everything in detail.

Ok, not sure if that metaphor worked or not [most likely not], but what I'm trying to get across is that I love this fanfiction, it it truly was like unwrapping a gift. Thank you for this fic, for this chapter; absolutely flawless.
Richard Ryley chapter 54 . 6/22/2012
Oh, Ukyo, Ukyo, Ukyo. You have eyes but you cannot see. The potential break up you are waiting for was right there, in front of you, and they got through it. If they can't break each other up what makes you think you can do better?

I, personally, don't think there's anything wrong with the previous chapters of this story, and I'd rather see more new stuff. :D But you've got to go with what you think is best for your story. I'll be keeping an eye out either way.
The Reality DumPer chapter 3 . 6/22/2012
Wow. I used to read selections written in the same fashion as oneshots. And this seems long. Makes me think that I should be using the time for studying. LOLs. But I really wanted to keep on reading this.
Voltor chapter 54 . 6/22/2012
Great story! Yay! Ranma and Akane kissed!
Demons Of Doom chapter 53 . 6/1/2012
I LOVE how you're handling Shampoo. The Manga Shampoo was a complex and dangerous character the anime version failed to portrait.

Damn cliffhanges, by the way ;) Keep it up!
Richard Ryley chapter 53 . 6/1/2012
I'm reminded of the comment that if Ranma insulted and belittled Ukyo the way he does Akane, that Ukyo would hate him. Here you point out something that I hadn't considered: if Ranma refused to acknowledge Shampoo's strength as a warrior and insisted that she stay out of the fight the way he does with Akane, Shampoo would hate him. Shampoo makes the mistake of assuming Ranma does this because Akane is weak. But it is not Akane's strength or weakness that is Ranma's consideration, it is his terror of losing her. If he felt that way about Shampoo, he would treat Shampoo that way, and it would make her just as upset.

I like that you had Shampoo choose not to make the killing blow, although to do so would obviously have been a fatal mistake. Shampoo hesitated to kill Ranma when he "revealed" his curse, though, and I think there are many levels to it, as you say here. It is the coward's way out, and I think it's important that Shampoo realized that it is fear that is driving her.

Ryoga's attitude disappointed me. I had thought he had come further than that even prior to Jusendo. In particular, that he would blame Ranma for protecting his secret, when obviously if Ranma "told her the truth even when it hurts," as he is supposed to do for one he loves, it would hurt Ryoga far more than Ranma or Akane. As Shampoo says, double standard.
Voltor chapter 53 . 5/31/2012
Great chapter! Am loving the turmoil Shampoo is going through. Keep it up!
Richard Ryley chapter 52 . 5/11/2012
This was interesting. Kohl's musing on the nature of Japanese (well, non-Sorcerer) society from the point of view of the outsider was very telling. In particular, his inability to understand the nature of love and companionship. It's surprising, since he professes to love Tilaka, and yet doesn't seem to understand the very basics of what it means to live with someone and share their hopes and dreams, to be with them good times and bad.

In that light, Ranma and Akane's fight was extremely appropriate. I liked Akane's reaction when she got a new perspective on Ranma's protectiveness, that she was not prepared for a magical attack when Ranma and Kohl were. And later, Kohl trying to press her into being stubborn at staying at Ranma's side, and her dismissing her own earlier arguments.

Ranma, as well, is dismissive of the Rope Maker and acts as if he doesn't care for Ryoga's safety at all, then consults him about the encounter safely outside of everyone's hearing. (He thinks) It shows that Ranma and Akane are not just one dimensional characters, they shift and change with the situation and their moods. And they understand each other, they doubt themselves and their relationship, but try to do what they think is best. Of course Kohl, who has never had to deal with doubt, every aspect of his life, even his very feelings, controlled and maintained by the Sieve, can never understand that.
Voltor chapter 52 . 5/10/2012
Wow, great chapter! This is quite the epic!
Demons Of Doom chapter 51 . 4/22/2012