Reviews for Promise
alydhe chapter 1 . 9/12/2012
Wow, this is the conversation that was missing from the game. Because no woman could walk away from that and no be terrified to her very soul of that fate being hers. She would have made SOMEone promise her this, if not the whole party. That Alistair doesn't balk from it is wonderful, though I imagine that if he was forced to do it he'd kill himself right after.
Skyppe chapter 1 . 2/10/2011
1) really like this, and the entire "P" series-good job! :D

2) this is more of a general address, to everyone, but Bladesworn has her cannon right. Being the massive Dragon Age nerd I am, I've read both the novelisations (written by David Gaider, lead writer of the series). In the second novel, The Calling, it's revealed that the reason the wardens are driven to the deep roads is that the taint eventually takes them over and they become darkspawn-if they don't die first. The compulsion they feel to take the calling is the compulsion the darkspawn feel to find the arch demon. :) Hence Utha in Awakening... she was once a warden.
Shadowolf chapter 1 . 12/22/2010
Good, an interesting story which has an excellent point. The Wardens do not want to make more broodmothers.
Midnight Strike chapter 1 . 12/23/2009
You linked me on #swoopingisbad :) And I am here to read! Because I am really intrigued by darkspawn origin and the broodmother and such.

I do wonder if the Grey Wardens can't be re-tainted, since the men that are infected do eventually go mad in the Deep Trenches. But I guess it makes sense if the wardens are barren, then why would Alistair be allowed on the throne in the first place if they are barren for sure (or is it just the women who are barren)?

ANYWAY enough rambling.

Yes I really liked this. That was part of the game didn't have a lot of detail. All of the horrors that the party members see must have some sort of psychological impact even on the bravest / strongest of them. I liked how you portrayed Alistair as being able to comfort and support her, and I liked that she has moments of weakness. It shows their partnership and how their relationship built up first instead of it being all flaky and simple infatuation.
Ryzaki chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
Great premise. Except that's not true. Female wardens can't be tainted again and are so IMMUNE to become Broodmothers. Of course she probably doesn't know that so its fine. But story wise Wardens are A) Nearly barren and B) unable to get re-tainted.
Anuhea chapter 1 . 12/10/2009
The Dead Trenches sequence is my favourite part of the game, because holy hell, the atmosphere. And as I'm a huge sucker for Very Dark anything, this fic is amazing. I don't know why I keep on being impressed by the way you make the language dance for you, since your fics have pretty much proven that point throughout.

...and this is why I feel horrible for nitpicking the basic premise of the story: As the Joining renders Wardens immune to further corruption by the Taint (all that happens is that the stuff from the Joining eventually overwhelms them - Revenge of the Innoculation From Hell), including transformation into darkspawn, a female Warden *couldn't* become a Broodmother, aye?

Mind you, the mood of the story is so great that...what the hell. I'm going to read and love regardless.
waiting4morning chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
Oh wow, I didn't think of that possibility, but very, very likely! The broodmother was the worst boss for me-the whole thing leading up to her was disgusting and this fic nicely reflects that horror. Well done!
impsy chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
This was really amazing. Seriously, so dark but totally fits into the story and just, fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing!
callalili chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
Argh! More angst? You know what, I was going to go on about how the writing was really good and you have the characters down so well and the realism of it, but instead all you get is a frowny face for making me even more emo. :(

I like the idea of the promise. It's very romantic. I suppose I like my love stories with great dollops of tragedy, although I really shouldn't be encouraging you in this line of thinking. When's the fluff coming, eh?
Lisa chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
*shudders*

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who found the Broodmother traumatic. I hadn't taken the next step, though, and considered what might happen to a female Warden going to the Deep Roads to die. Great reason for there not to be many female Wardens!

*whimpers*
ilmiopassato chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
Wow. This was spectacular! Very dark and foreboding, and very, very good.
Crisium chapter 1 . 11/18/2009
Have I told you how much I adore your stories? Every one of them is compelling and beautifully written, and this is no exception.

This line:

"But the darkspawn do worse things to women than kill them."

Made my damn *blood* run cold.

It's haunting. And perfect.