Reviews for As Sparks Fly Upward
ValkyrieH chapter 7 . 8/30
This was really good! I loved all your little nods to TOS, especially your inclusion of Number One! If there's one thing TOS and (to a lesser extent) TNG don't do well, it's claiming that the Federation is composed of so many alien species and societies and then showing almost none of them, so I enjoyed your version of Number One being Ilyrian and not human (also that her actual name has to do with being the "first" of her genome- really creative!). I also thought you got Kirk's voice DOWN. I liked how you had him describe the crew; he clearly cares a lot for all of them and appreciates all their special talents. I thought it fit in really well with the semi-official/my headcannon pan/poly Kirk. So good! I'm excited to read your missing scenes!
Sailor Pandabear chapter 7 . 9/22/2015
this was good.
Waspeater chapter 7 . 5/14/2014
Loved it - I always have a soft spot for the Federation's more shadowy defenders.

Was that a Short Skirt/Long Jacket reference I spotted?
VallesMarineris chapter 7 . 6/6/2013
This was an absolutely brilliant story. It was breathtakingly exciting, outstandingly characterized, and perfectly paced. You're an amazing writer and now I have to go check out everything else you have. Also: Ael! And Saavik! Well done.
Silfrvarg chapter 7 . 3/20/2013
Awesome story, I love Uhura as a Romulan.
Eavis chapter 7 . 1/14/2013
:D Blessings on you. Blessings on your face. Blessings on your grandmother's cow; this was splendid. Most emphatically /well done/.
Guest chapter 7 . 7/6/2012
awesome
bowlfullofcherries chapter 4 . 5/18/2011
i suddenly got this image of Sulu, Chekov, Spock and Uhura on the Millenium Fulcan. :)

thanks for that!
bowlfullofcherries chapter 2 . 5/12/2011
i freakin' want to cry it's so freakin' good.

but there's so much information! it's a little overwhelming and i admit i've put it aside the first couple times i sat down to read it. i have to be sharper than my usual mindset when sitting down for a bit of light reading. like i said, your writing challenges me.

thanks.
bowlfullofcherries chapter 1 . 5/12/2011
haha. i really love your writing style. makes me want to do better. and the things that i would challenge, the ideas that we get to shape for ourselves based on what we've seen and read, you bring that out in me too. like Uhura/Kirk- in reading another story of yours, i was just itching to write a rebuttal as to why they'd work.

i love that. you make me think and want to read more and write more. this is the longest review i've written in a while.

thanks for the read.
Sohalia Talitha chapter 4 . 11/3/2010
The more and more I read this, the more I think that Serenity is moonlighting as the handbasket. I'm not familiar with both canons enough to really say, but every now and again, I spot something that reminds me of firefly and it makes me squiggle with glee. There's just something awesome about imagining them all crammed into Serenity's bridge.

I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not? If it is, I think it was an excelent idea because it gives you and any fans in the audience a clear frame for reference.

Other than that, I'd like to say that everything so far is wonderful, completely engaging and interesting, over all absolutely delightful!
excessivelyperky chapter 7 . 5/2/2010
Brava!

If I were you, I would outline a book length edition of this story, find an agent, and push it to Pocket Books. Surely they have a New Star Trek book line by now.

It's that good.
excessivelyperky chapter 6 . 5/2/2010
Great chapter. I love the way that Spock and Chekov boobytrapped the Romulan ship just before the junker transport got whacked. And I enjoy knowing that Saavik will grow up to become "The Photon Torpedo" on the Starfleet baseball team.

Glad they're back in the Alpha Quadrant, though.
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 5/2/2010
Excellent. Swords were a good choice; phasers would light up the shooter and make him or her a target. Swords and knives come out of nowhere in the dark.

And hurrah for the Vulcans themselves, who fought barehanded or with anything picked up from people who no longer needed it (one notes how Jet Li used his own girlfiend as a weapon).

Yay for all of them.
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 5/2/2010
Another excellent chapter. As for Chekov's language skills, it would be funny if Chekov had to speak out of sight, and his accent was such that the Romulan said, "OMG, you've got one of _those_ Romulans-I thought they never left their star system. My condolences..."

Watching Kirk get the most out of his crew and himself is really fun, though, including Bones having to pilot. I loved Uhura when she was playing Subcommander Harry Mudd to the Romulan warbird, and offering Bright Shiny Things to get passed through the Zone.

Again, great chapter.