Reviews for As Sparks Fly Upward
Venus914 chapter 3 . 3/24
I hate that people make Uhura as kickass as she is when she really isnt. Xenolinguistics is a prissy career. I think Security is more diverse an important than xenolinguistics. After all, you are going to be saving your Command crew from dangers, you are experts in martial arts and you are going to be the first line of defense and fighting other aliens. And what is xenolinguistics? Just translating languages. In the future, a machine could do this. We do not need an Uhura. Science will always be needed as there is always something to discover. We always need doctors. Etc. Communications? No.
Venus914 chapter 1 . 3/24
I really hate any mention of Uhura and Spock relationship...to the point that im hating on Saldana in real life.
atymer chapter 7 . 12/9/2016
I enjoyed the adventure. It was nice to reminded of the newly minted crew going to strange new worlds, etc.
I recently got to see the latest film. I enjoyed it, however with more than a little sadness at the loss in real time of Anton. However as humanity struggles forward, so we will see another adventure on screen someday. Star Trek has always stood for what we all strive for, unity, peace and regard for our brothers and sisters of the Earth and beyond.
ValkyrieH chapter 7 . 8/30/2016
This was really good! I loved all your little nods to TOS, especially your inclusion of Number One! If there's one thing TOS and (to a lesser extent) TNG don't do well, it's claiming that the Federation is composed of so many alien species and societies and then showing almost none of them, so I enjoyed your version of Number One being Ilyrian and not human (also that her actual name has to do with being the "first" of her genome- really creative!). I also thought you got Kirk's voice DOWN. I liked how you had him describe the crew; he clearly cares a lot for all of them and appreciates all their special talents. I thought it fit in really well with the semi-official/my headcannon pan/poly Kirk. So good! I'm excited to read your missing scenes!
tanithlipsky chapter 7 . 9/22/2015
this was good.
Waspeater chapter 7 . 5/14/2014
Loved it - I always have a soft spot for the Federation's more shadowy defenders.

Was that a Short Skirt/Long Jacket reference I spotted?
VallesMarineris chapter 7 . 6/6/2013
This was an absolutely brilliant story. It was breathtakingly exciting, outstandingly characterized, and perfectly paced. You're an amazing writer and now I have to go check out everything else you have. Also: Ael! And Saavik! Well done.
Silfrvarg chapter 7 . 3/20/2013
Awesome story, I love Uhura as a Romulan.
Eavis chapter 7 . 1/14/2013
:D Blessings on you. Blessings on your face. Blessings on your grandmother's cow; this was splendid. Most emphatically /well done/.
Guest chapter 7 . 7/6/2012
awesome
bowlfullofcherries chapter 4 . 5/18/2011
i suddenly got this image of Sulu, Chekov, Spock and Uhura on the Millenium Fulcan. :)

thanks for that!
bowlfullofcherries chapter 2 . 5/12/2011
i freakin' want to cry it's so freakin' good.

but there's so much information! it's a little overwhelming and i admit i've put it aside the first couple times i sat down to read it. i have to be sharper than my usual mindset when sitting down for a bit of light reading. like i said, your writing challenges me.

thanks.
bowlfullofcherries chapter 1 . 5/12/2011
haha. i really love your writing style. makes me want to do better. and the things that i would challenge, the ideas that we get to shape for ourselves based on what we've seen and read, you bring that out in me too. like Uhura/Kirk- in reading another story of yours, i was just itching to write a rebuttal as to why they'd work.

i love that. you make me think and want to read more and write more. this is the longest review i've written in a while.

thanks for the read.
Sohalia Talitha chapter 4 . 11/3/2010
The more and more I read this, the more I think that Serenity is moonlighting as the handbasket. I'm not familiar with both canons enough to really say, but every now and again, I spot something that reminds me of firefly and it makes me squiggle with glee. There's just something awesome about imagining them all crammed into Serenity's bridge.

I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not? If it is, I think it was an excelent idea because it gives you and any fans in the audience a clear frame for reference.

Other than that, I'd like to say that everything so far is wonderful, completely engaging and interesting, over all absolutely delightful!
excessivelyperky chapter 7 . 5/2/2010
Brava!

If I were you, I would outline a book length edition of this story, find an agent, and push it to Pocket Books. Surely they have a New Star Trek book line by now.

It's that good.