Reviews for The Trees Were Burning
TMI Fairy chapter 5 . 8/12/2013
Nice.
Borys
Kasifya chapter 2 . 8/27/2011
In keeping with your request for reviews 'I like!' :)

I'm enjoying your story very much, and I look forward to reading more.

Thank you.
SandraS chapter 5 . 4/24/2011
Sad but great story, thank you for sharing this.
Lanche chapter 5 . 3/28/2010
NiRi,

I finally got around to reading this story and I really, really enjoyed it! Very well written with characters that I was interested in. When it was revealed that Maithon didn't survive, it did bring a few tears to my eyes. Keep up the great work!
Thundera Tiger chapter 5 . 1/22/2010
Gyah! At last I finally get a chance to read this chapter. I've been so busy this past week, but I kept this on the top of my list of things to do as soon as I caught my breath. And now I'm out of breath again as this epilogue was...well, breathtaking. :) (Please feel free to throw tomatoes.)

Seriously, though, this was a fantastic ending to the tale and it brought a poignancy that was hinted at earlier but never fully realized until the conclusion. There's a bittersweetness to all of this that one usually associates with the elves, but it's firmly rooted in a dwarven perspective this time. And I love the meaning this gives the rest of the story! The title is "The Trees Were Burning," but the full impact of what that means would be lost if the story had ended with all the known characters safe and sound. So although I'm furious that you killed off Maithon, I have to applaud the decision because of the weight and gravitas it gives the story. From a writing standpoint, this is a beautifully orchestrated piece with a theme that comes full circle and refuses to pull its punches.

From a human standpoint, this is gut wrenching.

Blákári is in fine form, and I love the differences you establish between him and the rest of the party. In war, it seems everything speeds up, and Blákári's maturity is proof positive of that. He's grown so much in only a few weeks, and the elves around him have changed, too. I love the glimpse we have of Thorin, who shows his father's wisdom and understanding, and I love the glimpse we have of Bifur, who is understandably suspicious. But most of all, I love the feel of loss and longing. As though something profound appeared briefly but then vanished forever. It feels like the story quests for something that it can never fully realize. I'm rambling now, but there's such a wonderfully elusive air to the epilogue and I can't quite put it into words. It's concrete and final enough to work as a conclusion, but it leaves open a world of possibilities and seems...incomplete. In a good sense. In a sense that Blákári had a chance at something wonderful but never got the opportunity to see it through. That kind of incomplete.

So now I'm going to stir the plotbunnies a bit and ask for a story involving Blákári (whom I absolutely LOVE as a character) and Gimli. Wouldn't that be fun? To have those two interact? ::hint/nudge/poke/prod::

But with or without a follow-up, I must express sincere and humble thanks for such a wonderful gift! This is a fantastic story that has provided beautiful characters, insights, action, and themes. I have enjoyed every chapter, and I have come to love a pair of OCs as much as any canon character. Thank you very much, NiRi! You are truly the greatest!
Emily chapter 5 . 1/19/2010
Aw, how emotionally painful. : ( I almost cried, too, and that would have been really awkward, 'cause I'm in math class. Although that might be a good excuse... hm... : )

Oh, yay, a sequel! : )
sokkergurl chapter 5 . 1/18/2010
This was a really good story and I am very sad that Maithon had to die but such is life. I can't wait til the sequel! Thanks and continue writing great stories! Sokkergurl~!
Sarahbarr17 chapter 5 . 1/18/2010
A fitting end to an excellent story.

Hugs,

Sarah x
candykorn0 chapter 5 . 1/18/2010
Lovely ending, although it was sad! I look forward to any sequels :)
ziggy3 chapter 5 . 1/18/2010
No! How COULD you? I had to read this twice because I was crying the first time... and then even more the second
calavero chapter 5 . 1/18/2010
Overall an excelent story. Solid characters and a very intresting plot. Looking forward for the sequel. Happy writing!
Tuesdayk chapter 5 . 1/18/2010
Aww... that was so sad! ;o; But... lovely as well. :)
Anearin chapter 5 . 1/17/2010
My Dearest Niri,

I very very nearly cried in that chapter MAITHON! Aiya war is anything but fair... :( I really enjoyed the story, aside from the sad ending lol sorry I don't deal well with sad endings. My oh my how many stories do you have on the go at the moment? ten or so? And what is happening with Affinity?

hehe