Reviews for Shots In The Dark
9Tiptoes chapter 1 . 7/6/2010
ugh. stupid tears, stupid knot in my throat.
snsw25kr14 chapter 1 . 1/7/2010
This my dear is exactly why you are officially one of my favorite authors.

The beautiful and painful emotion in this story, written in less than a 1,0 words, was heartbreaking. I must say when that episode aired, I bawled like a baby. It was tragic to see Ellan and Jo die, in the middle of an apcolypse. The boys are slowly losing everyone, they literally only have each other left...and Bobby.

I think you showed that in a unique and beautiful way. The boys are waist deep in trying to save their own butts that they barely have time to breathe. Yet, I think in the moment of clarity where they raise a shot glass they were not only saying:

"I'm sorry we failed you Jo and Ellen, but we are also sorry for everyone we didn't and won't be able to save."

This was beautiful as are all the pieces you create. You have an amazing gift.

Love,

Kaylee
Clarabell27 chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
God, this just broke my heart. Very poignant and realistic portrayal of grief. It always seems to hit hardest when doing something mundane like washing up.

Love how Sam didn't leave him, but didn't try to comfort him either. He was just there, quietly supporting.

So touching, I welled up.
donilou2 chapter 1 . 12/16/2009
That was poignant and very nice. I wish they'd showed something like that in the episode.
ROBINV chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
A wondrous story. It was just a perfect snapshot of how Dean and Sam said goodbye to Ellen and Jo-each drinking a shot in their honor.

Yeah, they would have loved that, especially Ellen. I'll always remember Bobby making her drink a shot of holy water, then asking him for a shot "of whiskey, please."

Love, Robin
Marlowe97 chapter 1 . 11/25/2009
A wonderful, sad tag, something that captures the sadness of that episode perfectly.

I don't know what TWO scenes you mean in you a/n, but for me, burning that picture was something like burning their friends, something instead of a proper burial.

That is one way I see it. Another view on that: who would want to keep that butt-ugly picture? They look strained, under immense pressure. No smile, no laugh. Pain etched into their faces and if I would have to look at this picture, what came to me would be loss and pain and fear.

*If* I'd survive the apocalypse, that wouldn't be the faces I want to remember. I would want to remember laughter, fun, jokes and carelessness. Bickering and aid in need, someone to come to and lean on in harsh times. Not those battered and hopeless worriers.

So, burning that picture... I think it would be to remember the good times (when you HAVE time) and not those strained last minutes.

If they'd survived the fight, they would have taken a new one, with laughter and funny faces. If they'd all died... well, then it wouldn't matter anyway.

Burning the pic was closure and the attempt to keep the memory burning - not smouldering like old embers, like those faces in the photograph.

So, I hope that was the question you asked, otherwise, just ignore me ;-)
Twinchy chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
Very tenderly written tag to "Abandon all Hope".

I'm so glad that Sam decided against "going to walk away from him". They both needed the silent company and comfort. And the two shots of Whiskey in honour of their (two) lost friends was at the same time fitting and symbolic.
jayhaytch chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
LOVE THIS! Yet again you have been able to see through the screen and into the sections of the Winchesters lives that are not displayed to us as viwers, but portrayed to us though your own emotive feeling and imagination. You pass this to us so easily and it is equally easy to imagine the scene. I am grateful and thankful.
naturalsuper chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
Truely symbolic, heartbreaking, well written and in character. Great job!
happycabbage75 chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
Heartbreaking, and absolutely brilliant tag to the episode.
lyin chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
what a fantastic, absolutely heartbreaking rendering of grief you've pulled off here ~ the detail of washing the shot glasses, and your well-written imagery really give a great, and very in-character post-op scene. great job!
pinkphoenix1985 chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
this is great!
pandora jazz chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
I'm sorry I didn't understand the question to your AN, but your tag was very good. Silent, like the last scene of this episode.

I'll admit I was somebody who didn't like Jo or Ellen in the second season, but these last couple episodes I could see the hunters they had become, so even their deaths did make me tear up. (Also because Ellen wouldn't leave her child in the end, wouldn't that moment get to any mother)

Still not sure why the guys burned the picture at the end, since Dean found a picture in episode four, unless it was because Bobby died and no one was left to burn it and before this season, never knew Bobby to take pictures before a fight. Why didn't Bobby take one during episode 3:16?

I did love this line in your story about Sam, (which I think applies to Dean too). 'He was down to the last two people he didn’t want to lose in this world, and one of them was washing shot glasses in a dark kitchen. Sam wasn’t going to walk away from him.'

Thanks for sharing another story with us and also sharing the Pringle story with me.

Until next time, take care.

(also the tickets went on sale - let's hope Jensen signs on)
raspberryred chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
No, my friend, I don't get it either. Both my son and I looked at each other and said, "Why is he burning that picture! That has memories of their last time together?" I'll wait to hear what other say.

So right that Dean hates to have Sam see him cry. may in the next episode we may get to see them actually grieve.

Your writing as usual, is flawless, and a joy to read.

Enjoyed meeting you, and getting your autograph at the Convention. Nothing is as good as 'Joshua's Chips', as Misha said!
Maz101 chapter 1 . 11/21/2009
I haven't even seen the epi yet (RL gah!) but I am a demon for spoilers so I know enough to see that this is angstily great.