Reviews for Secrets and Truths
Soledad not logged in chapter 1 . 12/26/2011
Oh, beautiful! Next time I happen to be logged in, I must put you on my favourites list. Ivanhoe/KoH, what a fantastic idea!
floppyearsthebunny chapter 1 . 5/9/2011
That was beautiful. I also admire your skin in writing.

I hope you'll pardon me for reading this never having known the story of the movie of Kingdom of Heaven, and only having seen pictures of Sybilla. But there was something especially nice about the ending. I also liked the verse from Proverbs. It gave a lovely touch. This piece I feel is very deserving of Applause.
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
Intriguing.
The Dork of York chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
Well, I've never actually read "Ivanhoe", so... yeah, I only really knew what was going on with about half of the story. That said, however, I appreciate that you did give a rundown on Rebecca and Isaac so that I could sort of place them and their troubles even though I haven't read the book.

But yeah, I really liked this little fic. I liked the historical-ness of it (always an important thing) and the travails of father and daughter as they try to get across France. Times were indeed tough for Jews during this era; things will be better in Spain, but not for much longer. Luckily (I guess) they'll both be dead before the Inquisition.

...Not really relevant, I guess. I just want to say that I find the historical accuracy of your fic to be one of the best things about it.

I also liked Sibylla's part; how she relates to Rebecca over ther perfidy of the Templars, and how she remembers Jerusalem being open to all. I loved that line, also: "No other woman I know was once a queen where they professed to keep their houses open to all peoples of the book. No other ruled a kingdom of conscience." Yeah, I really liked that line.

But I really, totally loved the little interaction between Isaac and Sibylla, where they understand each other without actually saying anything outright. I loved their little Hebrew interaction, and... just that they both know the secrets of the others. It's a momemnt of communion, even though they'll never see each other again.

So yeah, I liked this fic. Even though I've never read "Ivanhoe". Well done on the writing, too-you always write so well.
Gyreflight chapter 1 . 1/17/2010
Now that was a lovely surprise to come across, and one of the kinds of things that can make crossover-sieving so rewarding. It’s not a connection I thought to make until I saw the category listing, but you have slid the two sets of people so naturally against each other that it’s hard to remember why not.

Rebecca and Sybilla (with watchful Issac) come across very strongly, and the careful conversational dance of strangers rings true. Sybilla makes a particularly vivid impression with her careful observations, and of course your gift of that lovely line; “She’d taken nothing but her soul away from Jerusalem”, which has to be pretty much perfect as an evocation of my impression of the woman by the end of the film.

In the background, I also have to mention my appreciation of the sense of correct place-and-time which historically based fiction can sometimes fail to present – and which you manage with apparent effortlessness.

It was a pleasure to read, thank you.

…and I shall now zip off to look through the rest of your writings.

~Gyre
Petit Parapluie chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
Well, you KNOW how much this appeals to me, Merc - and I'm seriously impressed with the research you put into this as well as the well-delineated characters. Sybilla and Rebecca get on well together - a really beautiful vignette of a one-shot!