Reviews for Behind Glass
Light on the Horizon chapter 1 . 2/4/2014
Great story.
Filigranka chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
Wonderful, marvellous, amazing, great, perfect story. I'm sure what else is to be said - but I have to mention how much I love your description of Draco's realisations, especially about death. Firsts, it's non-existent, then it sounds like an adventure, then there's this Eros-Thanatos aspect with Bella, and then he finally understood what it really is. Not adventure, not sex, nothing glorious, just fear and pain.

Oh, and Lucius crying and whispering is, to my surprise, not only possible (in such circumstances), but very powerful image, full of emotions. The way you're showing it to reader - suggesting it's a mother at first, then telling the truth, but starting it with negation - is just... unbelievable. Excellent writing.
B. M. Reed chapter 1 . 11/29/2012
I had never read one of your one-shots before, so I decided to give this one a try. I'm deeply impressed, as I am with all your work, and as always your social commentary rings true, and perhaps even more deeply, here. Draco was born and raised by people who truly believed in 'The Right Sort' and 'The Other Sort'.

"...hiding from the horrifying creatures that looked like human beings until they flourished their torches and their iron chains and their instruments of torture."

This was a very strong visual for me; I recognize the idea from 'Amends', when Hermione says something to the affect that Draco looks at her and fears what her ancestors did to him and his family. Although Rowling never says anything quite so explicit, it's an interesting thought behind the irrational hatred toward Muggleborns.

"She reaches through the barrier as if it weren't there, and strikes him."

This was probably my favorite line of the entire piece, and puts a whole new perspective on Hermione's slap in third year.

All in all, great job. Eloquently written, and perfectly paced.
SicilyRoyalty chapter 1 . 7/31/2012
wow. this is amazing...as is all your work
LastScorpion chapter 1 . 8/18/2011
This is brilliant! I particularly loved section IV.
jadely31 chapter 1 . 1/23/2011
Wow! I just read your profile for the first time and decided I need to read all the one shots. As you know, I enjoy your humor, plot lines, excitement, writing in general. But this Draco behind glass is amazing. What could be expected of him with that upbringing? But the glass did crumble, leaving him open for growth. I will enjoy reading your version of how he grew.
neonorne chapter 1 . 12/24/2010
Following you from the Sober Universe forum, because I liked what you said about JKR and canon.

I really liked this fic. Your pick of scenes are very good, just the right ones to show his development. It all rings very true to me. I did wonder a bit at your choice of vocabuary to begin with: 'chagrin' seems to be very removed from the emotional state of a six-year-old. But as the story progressed I forgot about that - also because he gets older and the language fits him better.

This was a nice portrayal of the shattering of illusions and the fate of someone on the losing side of a war. The use of the glass wall iimage is of cousre not original, but it fits very well here and you make excellent use of it. I liked the last scene, with the crying father, and the last line, with no glass standing between him and the elements.

Will check out your other stories, too - when I get some time after the holidays ;)
Josephine Stone chapter 1 . 12/19/2010
That was amazing.
HoneyLake chapter 1 . 11/11/2010
Wow! Your writing is simply amazing! You have Draco down perfectly, along with the idea that the thoughts in his head aren't exactly his. Rather, they are a series of stories, turned fact by his family. Wonderful! I'm planning on reading some more of your stuff once I get the chance, so look forward to some more reviews!
The Breeze chapter 1 . 9/23/2010
Paragraph two is interesting because in one single passage, it captures the sadness of the beginning of the corruption of childhood innocence. Makes one feel very sad for Draco; he doesn't even realize that this is the first fork of many in the road.

There seems to be a flow problem with this sentence - perhaps a "for" after "except" would help it? - but that's a minor quibble:

Except that she's just a dirty Muggle, he would suspect that she's a Legilimens.

Great little story - shame it had to end; perhaps you've already written it in one of your other stories, but it would be interesting to see Draco's perspective on Potter asking for mercy on behalf of the Malfoys. You've mentioned it in some other stories, but I haven't read all of your stuff yet and haven't seen that perspective in detail.

-Steve
HP0247 chapter 1 . 7/21/2010
I cannot believe how few reviews this story has...really, I'm shocked.

I think this story is brilliant and you've told/structured/written it perfectly. I like the whole idea of Draco's POV - how he saw things, was taught things, and relished them, until a point where he didn't.

Great Job! Really good.
Zara chapter 1 . 7/15/2010
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I particulary loved the bit of information you inserted about muggles burning the Malfoys centuries before, and the nightmares Draco has about Muggles. Wonderful colouring there, and just a straight up incredible piece of writing! Thank you for sharing it.
WeatherWatch chapter 1 . 7/4/2010
My favourite stories are the ones that provide backstory and explanation of character ] There was a lot of emotion in this one, too. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
AngelofDarkness1605 chapter 1 . 5/10/2010
Wonderful story, I enjoyed reading every word of it.

I just love the way you used glass to describe Draco's world as he is growing up.

Great job!
Swallow B chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
Wow. Good, good, good. Incredibly powerful, moving. Only one thing disturbed me though : I find Draco's voice too childish in VI. When he met his aunt Bellatrix he was at the end of his fifth year, which makes him nearly sixteen. He might be attracted to her, but I don't think he would express it that way. ("He wants to marry her when he grows up.")