Reviews for Family Blessing
NoilyPrat chapter 1 . 12/11/2014
Glad you did a 2-fer on this, with the letters in one, and burning the body in another. All the raw emotions buffeting Dean as he finally accepts a brother he'll never have alive again. Glad he kept Sam from seeing Adam's corpse. Glad to get glimpses of Winchester blood through Adam, in this last goodbye they have of him. Love it.

(Yep, I know Adam comes back in season 5 and all, but working on the timeline here - THEY don't know they will see Adam again, so this is their goodbye)
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 4/17/2013
I really like that you gave Dean some... not quite sure you can call it bonding time... but something there with Adam. Reconciling himself to what had happened, what his dad had done, how he had acted around fake-Adam. Could say everything to him that he wouldn't hear. Welcoming him to the family now that he's dead.
T.L. Arens chapter 1 . 3/22/2011
This story felt as though it were carefully thought out. Not just the fact that it was done from Dean's POV, but that you took care to give him room to reflect on the situation from Adam to Sam and back. You kept as close to cannon as anyone I've read and I loved how you delved into the post-hell heartache Dean suffered and how lost he felt-whether or not he denied it-that Sam acted as though he no longer needed him. I think, too, that you caught the estrangement between Dean and Adam quite well. Dean acknowledged Adam as a half-brother, but had only enough room in his heart for Sam. Not that Adam was a stranger per se (he was), but that things simply did not click-part of that is how Dean can't bring himself to trust anyone. On some levels, he can't trust Sam.

I loved the wrapping scene where Dean thought how he almost had to do the same for Sam. I think that would have killed Dean to do that. On the whole, I have to say this was one of the best codas I've read; not so much the subject matter or the episode for which it was written, but how it was written and what was considered. - Thankyou so much for this story.
Heartless BytchhakaHelenBach1 chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
Great Story. I liked it.
CeCe Away chapter 1 . 7/11/2010
Truly beautiful. Thank you.
PADavis chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
I had to move on to this piece. Beautiful S4 Sam here, and Dean's reaction to him. And to Adam. Thinking that they might have seen or spoken to the real Adam, and the way Dean confirmed they had not... that was disturbing on so many levels and yet another of your surprises. You find the most amazing hooks for your tags.

Not wanting to look in Sam's eyes after Adam's was heartbreaking, as was Dean constant assumption of guilt for his inevitable death and descent into hell and the effect it had on Sam.

Phoebe
TheLadyPendragon chapter 1 . 4/2/2010
I truly enjoyed this. It was so sad, but I think you captured Dean exactly - his feelings of regret at not getting to know Adam, and his guilty relief that Sam lived even though Adam died. I also like how you wrote Sam as well. Perfect. Though now I'm all sad. :(
spnMom chapter 1 . 12/27/2009
Aw, this was really sad for me. I totally rejected the idea of a third brother, then I liked Adam, then I was crushed that the real Adam was already dead. Your fic just added a little more digging into that pain, but it also had a little hope thrown in too. Thanks for the trip to the hospital also... Those cuts were just too much!
SlothKeeper chapter 1 . 12/4/2009
wow, there are no words to tell how cool this is. It's just...just beyond words. You pointed and turned to so many unanswered issues, like how Sam got better, how they got Adam's body. I loved how you suggested that Adam could have actually met his brothers before he died. Even I thought he was dead before he met them. And it's great how you picked out the eye color thing. great job.
marinawings chapter 1 . 11/24/2009
wow, this one is good. it completely clenched my heart. the brotherness was beautiful and believable and very winchester. and dean's thoughts at the end about the difference between sam and adam... how sam has someone-has dean... brilliant!
Menthol Pixie chapter 1 . 11/24/2009
Really liked this. I just watched Jump The Shark yesterday so everything was still fresh in my mind.
Madebyme chapter 1 . 11/24/2009
One thing that I love about the show is how they don't always spell out everything a character is feeling. Sure we get moments, but most of the time it's done with subtle looks and gestures and left for us speculate. And then writers like you come along and fill in some of gaps and more often than not point out things that were missing in the show.

I liked how you brought up the idea of the boys maybe having met Adam. I guess I always assumed that they didn't, that it was always the ghoul but as you say it could have been him on the phone or in the diner - we'll never know. Painful but interesting idea.

Dean talking to Adam and going through the motions of being the big brother were hard to read. Especially when he compares loosing Adam to when he lost Sam - feeling relieved that it was Adam. How Adam was family but only in blood and how he never got a chance to know him. Points that were touched upon but not explored fully and sometimes I do wonder if one episode was enough when dealing with this subject material.

I realise that the show can't film every second of every scene but I still feel that we needed a little more on Sam's injury and recovery. Even a brief explanation would have been nice. But you fixed that with a hospital visit and I liked the comparison of Dean carrying Sam and Adam, the subtle similarities in eye colour and college and two library cards. It's always these little details that really sparkle for me.

Thoughtful and insightful fic. Another fascinating read. Sorry I've gone on a bit I guess I got a little carried away! Take care, Abbi
JazzyIrish chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
This is a truly sad story. Great job with making me feel how beaten down Dean is - like this is one more straw to add to the camel's back.

I really liked the passage that dealt with Dean's thoughts about how Sam looked when he found him in the house with the ghouls: "And then, when he saw Dean, a moment of profound relief and gratitude. It wasn’t something he saw on Sam very often these days." And I think that Dean really feared losing Sam again - either to darkness or death - and all of this really hit him while gathering Adam's body and preparing for the funeral pyre.

Loved that Dean finally has realized that damning his soul was the greatest of all losses - and he would do anything in his power not to let Sam do it either. Of course the ending is perfect and sums up how important the brothers' relationship is!

Thanks for giving us this gift on your birthday. Hope you had a wonderful day. Until next time...
Nana56 chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
I didn't get to this as quickly as I thought. It was good, tho. I wondered how Dean got Adam out of there.

Poor Dean, having to deal with all of that stuff and then trying to talk to the corpse, but not being able to say somethings even to the dead. *pets him*

Nicely done. You could make a girl change her mind about an ep. . . . nah. :D
irismay42 chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
Oh, that was just heartbreaking. You did a fantastic job of contrasting Dean's relationship with Sam and the one he never got to have with Adam, and I loved the justification for his not asking Castiel for a "favour" at the end of JTS - and the tacit acknowledgement that maybe if he'd let Sam go while he still had some semblance of innocence, things might have been better for both of them.

I still kind of wish the show had let us - and the boys - get to know Adam a little bit before he inevitably bit the Big One.