Reviews for The Choicest Gift of Heaven
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 2 . 6/15/2014
I like your Captain Webb.
He really deserves his own story and you have hardly done him justice so far.
Is he destined to meet Mrs Smith? It cannot be coincidence that he was loitering outside her lodgings...
Okay, maybe that was reading too much into it, but she is such a dear lonely lady and, although with Frederick's intervention her fortunes have turned, she must still feel lonesome at times.
I really like Mrs Rooke's idea of using animal therapy on her patients. There is a movie my children love called "miracle Dogs" which explores this idea (although in a modern hospital setting).
I would like to challenge you to take up this story again when you have time. It has great potential, and there are too few well written Persuasion stories out there.
ElvishKiwis Venerated Ancestor chapter 1 . 6/15/2014
I have just found this!
I LOVE Persuasion! You have captured Mary's hypochondriac self-centeredness perfectly. To think that she can complain to herself of being abandoned by her husband and sister immediately following an observation that her sister should not be out walking in HER condition, and then be please that it is not her stuck out in the rain, followed by the hope that Anne will think of bringing her another box of sweets...!
Insufferable woman!
I am quite pleased to see that this doen not have 'complete' written after the 'last updated' date. Does this mean that, if I nag you enough, you might take it up again? *flutters eyelashes beguilingly*
theredrobin chapter 2 . 3/17/2011
Your writing style is absolutely wonderful. The language is so well done and your characterization of Mary as the hypochondriacal, puling little nit was dead on. You even kept in the "Elliot pride" she exhibits.

Lovely work.
theHuntgoeson chapter 2 . 12/14/2009
Well! I have to say that after Chapter 1 I'd expected the one-eyed gentleman to be someone already known to us from the original story, so it's most stimulating to find him a newcomer. The dialogue between Mary and Charles gets both characters bang on, and I loved "Charles asked him if he'd fought pirates". Good to meet Nurse Rooke again, and to see how in advance of her time she is in using pet therapy - and Puss reminds me of Mrs Forrester's cat, of course. Nice to have an update of Mrs Smith's improved state of health, too. But it strikes me that Captain Webb has a Past, and the we are going to learn about it...
Solo Lady chapter 2 . 12/6/2009
Hm... I'm most curious about this turn of events. Captain Webb does appear very dashing and most intriguing. I love the comments about the children and how they're not afraid to ask questions - and that Webb fascinates them. Kids are like that. :) And I confess that Puss reminds me a bit of Crookshanks in Harry Potter. They both know trustworthy people when they meet them.

Looking forward to more.
Solo Lady chapter 1 . 11/24/2009
What a fascinating beginning! I think I'd have shrieked, too, in Mary's position.

I'm not as familiar with this Austen novel as some others, although I have seen two movie versions and enjoyed both very much. I need to refresh my memory about everyone.

I think I might have to read "The Castle of Otranto," too. I'd never heard of it and looked it up. Sounds like a book that would spark a young woman's imagination...
theHuntgoeson chapter 1 . 11/24/2009
I admit that I last read Persuasion some years ago, but this will be an excellent excuse to renew acquaintance! I like the way you give us a brief survey of what has happened to the characters between the end of the book and your sequel - Louisa, continually seeking attention for her pregnancy and Anne, taking it in her stride; Charles, changed by the company of sailors; and Mary, feeling outside it all. I love the reference to "The Castle of Otranto", my favourite Gothic novel - so Catherine Morland and Isabella Thorpe are not Jane Austen's only Gothic novel readers - and why not let poor Mary have chocolate? But who is the mysterious one-eyed stranger?