Reviews for Reflections
winxander chapter 1 . 12/4/2016
a very nice message to be given at the end...
however I believe the one sided story of how Misty felt back then and in the later times deserves a loud round of applause.
nothing overdramatic or stuff only wat a teenage girl confused and lonely, wanting to understand how she really feels and how she sorts it out.
marvelous
Bayleef Stardust chapter 1 . 7/26/2016
Awesome to read! However, I do think Ash was jealous when Rudy was flirting, and that it was not just about the lack of attention. I believe that were Ash's unconscious feelings for Misty playing up. And in the Japanese/original, Rudy actually asked Misty to marry him, not just stay with him.

I'm glad you see Misty didn't fall for Rudy, like some people believe. I feel like lots of people misinterpretate that episode.

That confession scene at the end is adorable, this is totally how I can see it happening! I think, like lots of PokeShippers, that Ash is clearly attracted to Misty, but just really doesn't get it.

Just one thing: I don't think Misty would be this satisfied at the Gym. She was a Gym Leader before travelling, and now she is back, so that is not improvement. It is regression. And battling 99% rookie challengers won't help her to learn. She needs to travel, work on her dream, participate in Whirl Cup-like tournaments... The Gym is not helping her with the Water Pokemon Master goal, it is greatly holding her back... Sadly, she has no choice. Her sisters are now seen as incompetent, but they did just fine during the Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto seasons. And they promised to take their positions back after their holiday, but they never did... I don't think Misty could have such happy years there, but that's my personal interpretation.

The idea of Misty on the sidelines, cheering for Ash, does shed an interesting perspective on the Original Series seasons of the anime. I think it would've been possible to have Ash and Misty both work on their goal properly while traveling together, if the writers would've done a better job and made them about equal. But that is hard when Ash is the sole main character of the show. If they would've included more things like the Whirl Cup, Misty would've been doing more than cheering on the sidelines.

All by all, some minor flaws (but this was probably your first fic), but mostly because of personal interpretation. But one of the best PokeShipping fics I've read so far. And I read quite a lot of them!
ChloboShoka chapter 1 . 5/19/2014
Very lovely and moving story. It's so sweet and I felt it captured Misty so much.
IcyWish chapter 1 . 12/24/2013
This seemed so deep, and it really captures Misty's personality so well, and shows just how much her character has developed through Kanto and onwards (under the surface). I was confused on how mature Misty was... well, until the end XD
I can really see this happening in an afterstory plot or something...
Miss Starfire chapter 1 . 1/27/2012
Perfect.
AshandMistyLove chapter 1 . 10/21/2010
awww thats such a touching story...

AAML:)
Buff Norris chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
Wow another great story. Hakajin you are one of my favorite authors. The story was fluid, and I felt like I really heard Misty's voice narrating the whole story. You stories just touch me in a way many others can't. I felt so bad for Misty half way through it, but I'm so glad it had a happy ending.

aaml4ever
MoltresFeather chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
Awesome story! The longest one shot I've ever seen lol, but well written and well thoght out. The ending flowed as well, well done.
tenken22 chapter 1 . 12/14/2009
Superbly well-written! Can't deny I was tearing up at the end. Full marks for everything in this. A self-conscious Misty is rarely portrayed so deeply and so well. Keep up the good work!
d i n o b o t chapter 1 . 12/7/2009
Here's another review (this is adrenaline, btw).

Well done. The whole "Reflections" played out perfectly. It's not just about memories, but evolved into something more, reflecting the light of others and of self. Maybe (just maybe) the reason you haven't had too many reviews is because people are lazy readers and this is quite an extensive one-shot.

You write Misty's character very well - and I can't pull off "first person" to save my life, but you managed it. The tone was mellow, sad at times but very sweet at the end. Ash and Misty are stronger together, helping one another and having someone to challenge them each and every day. I guess that goes for any couple too, but especially for them.

Thanks for the wonderful read.
Aiselne Phoenix Nocturnus chapter 1 . 11/28/2009
100% nostalgic fanfic, traveling all the classic Pokeshippy trips down memory lane. For someone like me who prefers (and admittedly misses) the good ol’ days of the Pokemon anime, your one-shot was a real treat. _

First of all, Misty’s POV is superb. I could really envision Rachael Lillis narrating this story (that is, before the ending came and I realized Misty was speaking as an *adult,* not her twelve-year-old self. But I guess that proves how convincing Misty’s voice sounded throughout this story, yes?).

Laura Pausini’s “The Extra Mile” happens to be one of my favorite (English) Pokemon songs (even 9 years after the Movie 20 soundtrack first came out. Yup, old-time Pokefan here. Proud of it, too! . Is it any wonder why I enjoyed this nostalgic fic?). More importantly, I adored the quote you used in the beginning of this fic, and especially how you dove into the quote’s themes of “the light that makes me shine.” Frankly, I think the reoccurring theme of “light” really makes this *fanfic* “shine.” The light allusions in this fic are not only lovely imagery, but they beautifully reference/illustrate Misty's feelings towards Ash in a creative way (rather than just using cliches like typical romance writers use. Despite how this is a romance fic, the romance doesn't feel mushy whatsoever, and I generously applaud you for that).

Misty’s maturing in this story is astonishing. Not only does she gradually go from disliking Ash to loving him, but she has to overcome her own inferiority complex and pride. What’s so beautiful about this story is that it proves how meeting Ash didn't *just* ignite infatuation within Misty. Meeting Ash changed her life in uncountable ways, changing her personality and how Misty feels about him and about herself. That’s what I liked best about this story: it chronicles more than just a girl’s puppy love crush on a young boy. This story chronicles how a young boy inadvertently helped a girl grow to love him, and to love *herself.*

“Unrequited love” – very powerful summary for Misty and Ash. Of course, our dear Ash is the clueless type. I just loved this quote: “Romance was a foreign language to him. “I love you,” wasn’t in his vocabulary. I might as well have told him that I was a space alien.” You just perfectly summarized our adorable, yet our eternally dense, Ash Ketchum. But it’s true: he never seemed to notice Misty’s devotion in the anime. I’m sure that had to be both frustrating and heartbreaking for the poor girl.

I’m glad your story didn’t harp too heavily on the “Misty envies May” issue. Personally, I’m not a fan of fanfics that pit Misty/May against each other (usually fighting over Ash), but I have to say your story didn’t go overboard and the jealousy issue was kept to the bare minimum. (And I’m especially glad that you pointed out how when Misty finally met May, the two got along and Misty was jealous for nothing). Thank you for that.

Lastly, I just love how you concluded the story mentioning how Ash saw a light in Misty, one she never noticed. It’s beautiful irony, since Misty originally saw a light in Ash (one he probably never noticed, too). In many ways, Misty and Ash are so alike, and at times in the past, they were worlds apart. And knowing they finally grew up, understood each other’s feelings, and came together is just a gorgeous way to conclude this story. Both characters found their own fulfillment, and I really couldn’t be any happier for them. All in all, simply beautiful Pokeshippy one-shot!
Milotic chapter 1 . 11/25/2009
Well, I've been waiting for this since you announced that you had started working on it on SPPF a long time ago, and I must say that I did like it, although I have a few suggestions. First of all, I would hold off on using italics so much. Second, it is a little longer than it needs to be. There's certainly nothing wrong with writing long fics (and I wish I could write them, because I struggle with not being able to do so a lot), but I feel like there's quite a bit here that could be cut. I'm not quite sure how to explain it. It's not a big deal, though.

I really think you did a good job of getting into Misty's psyche. I found that the way you characterized her (and it wasn't OoC at all, at least not to me) really resonated with me, and I even found myself agreeing with a lot of things I had never thought of before. The last paragraph was my favorite part (and I assume it was your favorite part, too, based on what you've said), and I usually don't even like stuff like that (although I'm not sure I would have put in the very last line-it could be seen as cliche.)

I also like the whole part about either having your own light or reflecting someone else's (although I think you could have been slightly more subtle about it at times); I think it's very creative and sweet and fits Ash and Misty very well. I'm glad you gave them a happy ending.

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you include anything from P2K? I feel like it's an important moment for Misty, and you even used a song from the movie at the beginning (which I definitely have to look up now!). Of course, it's your fic and you can include whatever you want, but I was wondering if there was a specific reason why you left it out.

On a more personal note, I'm a little sad to hear that you're over PS, and not just because it means no more PS fics! I feel like everyone's getting over Pokeshipping, and it makes me a little sad because I'm still stuck on it. LOL, that probably makes me sound a tad bit pathetic. Oh, well. Here's hopeing you go on to bigger and better things!

Thanks for the fic! :)
Ronmione x3 chapter 1 . 11/25/2009
That was a lovely reflection, very Misty-like. -)

Fabulous job!