Reviews for The Dubious Art of Lying
Inanna chapter 7 . 2/11/2014
I felt so incredibly bad for Oscar here after Jaime gave him her revelation. I soooo wanted to give him a hug. I'm also glad that she came to realize what a great thing she had right in front of her after her introspection. Of course, when the details of the rescue came out, it made me think that Oscar just might be Superman after all, and that even if Jaime is his kryptonite, that's not bad. Not bad at all. :)
Inanna chapter 2 . 1/24/2014
Alright, so I'm only two chapters in, but I really wanted to comment on this before I went further.

First, I really, really like this so far. Intimacies aside for the moment, this feels more adult than anything I remember of the episodes (currently rewatching season 3, which for the most part definitely feels like it's got an overall aimed at kids vibe to it.) So I really like that this is more adult feeling than the series. I also like the antagonist. He seems to see things in a more grey, less black and white way than most of the antagonists I remember. That 'the right way' is not necessarily right or wrong, it just depends on who's point of view it is. Being able to have a bit of empathy for the antagonist and really being able to grow into 'loving to hate them' is a rarer aspect than I would like in most fanfiction or fiction that I've read.

Second, the romantic aspects (and this also addresses my two cents on the Jaime and Oscar thread on Bionic Project) and whether or not they should be together. I'd say I'm probably in the minority in that I never thought that Jaime shouldn't be with Oscar because of an age factor. When I was a kid, I thought both Oscar and Jaime were 'old'. But I also thought they were a lot closer in age to one another, thinking Jaime (being very sophisticated - at least to a kid like me) was in her 30's and that Oscar was only around 10 years older than she was. (Didn't find out that she was younger than that till I was much older.) My parents were in their mid to late 30's when they had my sister and I, so with that perspective, it just never occurred to me that Oscar would be considered too old for Jaime, that I would have easily accepted them being in a relationship/marriage with young children at home should the writers have chosen to write them that way. The only reason why I didn't think of them as a couple when I was a kid was because the writers had paired up Steve and Jaime and that Jaime just needed to get her memory back. So, to make my long story endless :), I really love the longing and the desire on both Oscar and Jaime's parts to be in an actual relationship here. Haven't read farther yet, but I would be quite delighted if the story went AU and they got into an obvious relationship - but that's just me :)
Special Agent X chapter 1 . 6/23/2013
I've read it. You have an audience.
jelpy1 chapter 1 . 6/1/2011
Loved the story; liked Jamie in exasperated bodyguard mode and Oscar in all his careless disregard for his own safety (he really is bad about that. I noticed the same thing about him in the series.) Liked the helicopter crash not turning into a grungy, multiweek, pursued by bad guys thing. That just would've been too cliched. Terrific job.
Emilia chapter 1 . 3/9/2011
Hi. I think it's wonderful how do you write. I love Jamie/Oscar stories. Please keeping posting new ones for us.

A fan from Brasil.
OJfan chapter 4 . 12/4/2009
I usually don't like missions as much as romance stories, but I liked this one. It's great - I love the way they just seem to blend together - it's like they know what the other is thinking. You've done a nice job of adding just the right touch of humor too - like Jaime warning Oscar not to shoot his butt or him grousing about her being like his kid sister.
Melchy chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
Excellent start! Can't wait to read the other chapters.

I love this line: Threadbare and outdated, it was like a favorite pair of shoes that had once been worn on formal occasions and were now more suited for a walk to the coffee shop. I could see the hotel so clearly after that.
SnowWhiteandDopey chapter 9 . 11/30/2009
This is such a great story. Based on the looks they gave each other and the way they acted together combined with Jaime's dating habits, I imagined that Jaime and Oscar were lovers but for many reasons couldn't have a relationship. Messyhead has captured the relationship perfectly. I love the teasing and the great adventure story. I can definately see Oscar wanting to pursue the weather control devise more and Jaime be very against it. The escape scenes in the hotel were exciting and humorous. Having Oscar tear himself up to pull her out of the helicopter was a nice touch. Jaime getting her memories back was a twist. Describing how Steve related to people was spot on. This story has it all - two thumbs up!
jtbwriter chapter 9 . 11/26/2009
That's a great story-the emotions-working through the truth of their feelings..and finally Jaime's honesty...perfect! Thanks for a good read!
OJfan chapter 3 . 11/25/2009
Oh...I like the part where he says "that's one of the things I love about you." Ah very nice line. Their banter back and forth is just filled with sparks - I can feel them from here. Even once that nasty Prochazka gets hold of them - they still "work" well together. I like how they seem to rely on the other (and she MUST realize Oscar must have something else in mind for those papers :)). The whole tone if this story is great - I don't know HOW you could make it any better - and it's just like an episode, only better because she's with OSCAR.
OJfan chapter 2 . 11/25/2009
I LOVED the part about them closing the door to the rest of the world and falling into each other's arms. It's SUCH an intimate description and I can't help smiling when I read it. The first time I read this I TOTALLY missed that this was the Jailing of Jaime episode - how perfect! I was just so engrossed in the story I didn't see it. Their lives are so busy and full, I can see them turning to each other this way - I always imagined they did after that little pillow fight.

I also loved her musings about their relationship - and hearing her admit she wanted to cling. How could she not sometimes? I like that about her character - she's strong and independent, but not afraid to need someone and to be vulnerable.

I liked Prochazke at first - he seemed nice - but not by the end of the chapter - get rid of RUDY? I think NOT! :)

What a perfect blend - a plot and wrestling with romantic emotions - does it get any better?
OJfan chapter 1 . 11/25/2009
What a lovely start to a story. The pacing is perfect - it's slow and relaxed and allows you to set the stage with rich details. You can really get a sense of WHERE they are, what it's like. I wish I was at that hotel itself - it sounds wonderful.

I love the way they seem so comfortable and natural together - and the way she can get to him. She really has him wrapped around her little finger - I can't imagine him letting anyone else get away with chewing him out like that :)

The etchings line was my favorite - very cute. I can just hear her saying that to him too.