Reviews for The Keeper of All Mystery
allthosefandomfeels chapter 6 . 1/24
Oh my gosh that was so lovely! They were all portrayed impeccably - Enjolras, Prouvaire and Joly in particular - and the plots were well thought out and romantic. Fantastic job!
Clueless-Major chapter 6 . 4/20/2014
"Here's to pretty girls
Who went to our heads
Here's to witty girls
Who went to our beds
Here's to them
And here's to you!"
This was just perfect. You captured the time period, the characterizations, and circumstances around each barricade boy perfectly! It's like I was looking at their memories, and I just simply adored how you humanized them. Because I always see them as these ideal revolutionaries, and to see such a human side of them (after all, carnal desire are basic human emotions). I can't wait to see the rest of the boys!
Nelly chapter 6 . 11/6/2013
I started reading this fic today and finished all six chapters within an hour because I found that I just couldn't stop. It was too good! You've captured the personalities of the Amis perfectly and the concept is incredibly unique. My favourite is most definitely Chapter 4. Somehow I knew Enjolras's experience wouldn't actually be carnal in nature. You wrote his chapter so wonderfully.

Now, I'm a lurker at Abaissé (which is where I first heard of you) and you've said that your current Ami of interest is Feuilly. :) Is there any chance we can read about the lovely fan-maker's own first encounter? I know it clearly says in your description "bourgeois upbringing," which Feuilly evidently lacks, but... A girl can hope, yes? :D

Please keep writing because you are amazing!
ASingleSplendidSong chapter 6 . 6/4/2012
Oh, this is the epitome of hilarity. I can't imagine anything better. I love the way you (I presume you are either French or study a lot of it) link in bits of philosophy and small quirks of France here and there. It makes the stories so much more real and I can honestly imagine this being the ways they discover themselves. I adore Enjolras' one - it's so fitting for him. Will we see both Marius and Grantaire take the plunge soon?
ColonelDespard chapter 6 . 2/12/2011
Beautiful, as ever. And one of the first stories I think that has really engaged with the very interesting hints of Prouvaire's religious background, given his chosen subject matter. The exploration of their Protestantism and the hints of Methodism (I did some work a while back on an early Methodist's support of Wesley...fascinating stuff), and the use of Biblical citation to help Prouvaire get beyond the whole Sex/Whore/Hell connection is excellent...you can see the young man who will one day develop a fascination with rather apocalyptic reading tastes and a passion for knowledge, as well as a very practical application of his learning. Poignant and powerful.
Insanemistosingsmore chapter 5 . 8/8/2010
Hi there! Just read all these today, and I can't decide which I like better...Joly or 'Feyrac. both feature the guys I would go back in time for.
frustratedstudent chapter 4 . 4/14/2010
Aurelia here.

I've been rereading this, and I think I reviewed this already on Abaisse. But I've got to say that I find Bahorel's story the most "fitting" in terms of the boys' personalities in relation to their encounters. And Enjolras' story with Emilie is my favorite-I have to say that this is the story that makes me swoon. I could so understand what Emilie saw in him. And maybe because this resonates somewhat with my own story too...
Mam'zelleCombeferre chapter 4 . 3/7/2010
Beautiful. Oh Enjolras how I identify with you... And Combeferre, Good Lord if I thought I loved the man already, his letter about women's purity made me love him more. Practically swooned at that. :)
AmZ chapter 1 . 3/6/2010
Fantastic details. Very lively!
ColonelDespard chapter 4 . 3/2/2010
I love your courage in writing an OC who has a relationship with Enjolras and...you've pulled it off. Beautifully. As I've said before, I'm so glad you didn't take the easy option and leave Enjolras out of this series of stories.

I love the shadings here...you could have made it very bluntly either Enjolras being asexual or Enjolras attracted to Emilie because she is "masculine" and therefore indicative of latent homosexuality on his part, but you do neither...and yet each is a possible reading. That he leans towards asexuality works for me, but clearly there is something more to his attraction to Emilie. His confusion is understandable, when not even Combeferre can read it correctly. He is being told what he ought to be feeling, but it's not quite right for him.

Emilie herself is lovely - that Enjolras should be attracted to someone of strength and transform her into one of his symbols works, given how he interacts with all his friends in the ABC. But more than that, he sees her as genuinely beautiful in that strength, and his bemusement that his friends don't see that because she is not in a conventionally attractive mould is an appealing trait. His cluelessness about certain social situations - like his incomplete comprehension of what Emilie's father is warning him about - is almost endearing. He is naive, yes, but trying so hard to be honest with himself and with her...difficult, when his grasp on the whole thing is nebulous and his own feelings lack clarity. Thank goodness Emilie herself has her own brand of honesty and forthrightness, not to mention a slight edge of experience.

Sorry for the ramble...just my reading of it!
AMarguerite chapter 3 . 1/5/2010
You already know I love this, but I feel I should declare it more publicly. I do adore your Bahorel- how well he's fleshed out, how he gets bored and blows of steam by engaging in random fits of stupidity, how you interpreted the peasant line- and this is such a great addition to his backstory!

This line, "Women were perhaps not so different to cows after all – both looked at you with calm eyes, making you think yourself an idiot." was great. xD Kudos!
ColonelDespard chapter 3 . 12/19/2009
Finally someone who explores those interesting hints about Bahorel's background! I particularly like the fact that not all your sexual rites-of-passage are wonderful epiphanies for the boys. Bahorel, coming from a rural setting, seems right for a more earthy introduction, given he'd be quite accustomed to the mechanics of reproduction through exposure to animal husbandry. Nicely written context, too - both how Bahorel fits into the family and the harvesting cycle.
ColonelDespard chapter 2 . 12/8/2009
This seems exactly right for Courfeyrac - playful and fun, with him falling so spontaneously for the girl in his warm hearted way. Rolling around in fields in an idyllic spring setting with a good time being had by all hits just the right note. I've always said the impression I have of Courfeyrac (having known some of his type very well in RL) is that he falls into the category of womaniser that actually does really love women, and not the misogynistic strain. Courfeyrac loves everything about them, and not merely the sexual side of things, although much of how he sees them is tied up with that. His initiation in your story is not entirely without..."angst" seems far to strong a word, but the shadows of anxiety such as his concerns that he has disappointed the girl and his discomfort with his hale-the-conquering-hero approach of his father seem very appropriate too, as they don't overshadow his joy.
AMarguerite chapter 2 . 12/2/2009
I just adore this chapter. Your Courfeyrac is just adorable and so terribly endearing! I loved this in draft form; here you've made the class distinctions clearer (like with Courfeyrac's fumbling for the words in Provencal and the refined/reworked description of the procession). He's really a sweetheart, and I love how Johaneta ruffled his hair afterwards. xD He's still rather young to be initiated into the mysteries, as he calls them, and I think his fondness for medieval love poetry is not only smack out of Hugo (heart of a paladin indeed!) but really awfully cute. The descriptions of Provence are absolutely beautiful, in the best Romantic tradition.

I also just love his family- Juliette who plays right along with the troubadour romances but is also trying to play at growing up (albeit without the opportunities open to René), and his beaming 'yay, you lost your virginity! :D' father.

So. Much. Love. 3
Rosette C. H chapter 1 . 11/26/2009
I'm not sure I can explain how much I like this. Part of it is how Combeferre can't help analyzing the exploitation of women. Part of it was the logic of how it must be instinctive or the human race wouldn't survive. But nothing I can specify seems to cover it.