Reviews for In Which the Princess Rescues the Dragon
ilikebluepineapples chapter 26 . 8/27/2012
Oh WOW what an emotionally explosive chapter. Too many awesome lines to even quote, but I especially loved these:

"The undercurrents in this house are nearly unbearable; how could she have missed that George hates his brother with an undying passion; if he could resurrect his twin by killing Percy, he'd have the sacrificial knife out and cut his throat right there in Molly's front room." -fucking terrifying

Xeno is just unbelievably heartwarming.

"Harry's jealousy is not sexual or romantic, but the bad feeling of an estranged brother who is being ignored by his sister. She knows that expression; she saw it more than once on the face of her cousin Sirius at family gatherings, and it was usually Cissy and Bella who provoked it, long after he'd declared that he didn't care what a pair of Pureblood princesses said about him." Oh, poor Sirius. And they killed him.

"His expression is bitter, as if he's thinking of something that makes him terribly sad and angry at the same time, but which pride will not allow him to speak." I'm amazed, once again, by how well you convey bitterness.

"Andromeda hears that low, rasping sound that would be weeping, if it were anyone else. That's the thing they have in common, Harry and Ginny: they're very stoic in public, and when they do weep, it doesn't sound like tears, but blood." I can hear this sound in my head right now, and it is awful. And fantastic. Thank you for giving me this for my internal soundtrack to life :)

I'm finding Harry much more sympathetic now than from Amends, seeing him defend her to Ginny... and it really IS unfair, how Hermione is so much angrier at him than at Ron, but I do understand. Although it annoys me how Ron gets a free pass from everyone.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 25 . 8/27/2012
Supposing Molly did succeed in snaring Hermione back, what DID she plan to do with Lavender? And with Ron, for that matter, who is presumably attached to Lavender?

"If one had a taste for icy truth, this could become an addiction as well: a swift dose of the cold light of day." Perfect. So evocative.

Amortentia should be classified with the Unforgivables. It's easily as bad as Imperius. In fact I think the whole idea of Unforgivables being worse than other spells is silly. You can kill someone without Avada, and coerce without Imperius. Crucio IS special though, in that there wouldn't be a better way to cause pain than to simultaneously stimulate all the nerves in the body.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 24 . 8/27/2012
Andromeda is such a subtle, observant character. It's so much more peaceful reading her perspective, because even emotionally fraught occurrences, like her meetings with Draco and Narcissa/Lucius, don't tear the agony and rage out of her like they do Hermione.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 23 . 8/27/2012
Narcissa and Lucius are /fascinating/. I know this won't ever exist, but I would so totally read a spinoff of their experiences during the war. Or maybe not. It might be too depressing.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 22 . 8/26/2012
It's strange to think of Hermione as the moral bastion when we've had her perspective, in which she fears she's Dark Lord material.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 21 . 8/26/2012
We're here already? This is where Amends was at the 60th chapter or so! Wow.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 20 . 8/26/2012
I don't get this whole bond-slave thing- if it's just money, then Madam Longbottom would surely pay it off after she and Neville got married, and if it's more than money, then how on earth did Harry and Ron get out? She should be able to have kids, just not soon.

And this: "Whatever the hidden strain in the Granger line, it's blossomed into frightening power in the daughter, and that power will not be diminished in her descendants, whether she takes as their father a Pureblood or a Muggle-born or even, like Madam Longbottom in her first marriage, a plain Muggle." Such a wonderful sentence. I'm starting to think I have a power fetish...
ilikebluepineapples chapter 19 . 8/26/2012
Bah, just as I start sympathizing with Molly, she says something about housework and gallivanting and "our type" again, and I have to stop.

Also this, from the last chapter: "her own mother, Druella Rosier Black, was more in the way of a Byzantine empress. You didn't defy her to her face but found a way around, and lied through your teeth if caught, and hoped that the stylishness of the lie would take some of the edge off the resulting punishment—which you took like a daughter of the House of Black." STYLISHNESS. So Slytherin.

Also, does it make sense that in the magical world women always take their husband's last name, and not vice versa? In a world where magical power trumps any physical advantage men have, women must have much more power, and it makes more sense for the more powerful House to insist on the couple- or at least the couple's children- taking their name. It seems like too much for a powerful House to extinguish itself if, for example, Draco only had daughters...
ilikebluepineapples chapter 18 . 8/26/2012
I feel for Molly here. What a shock to find that your son just got a woman pregnant with a high risk baby. I do wonder, too, if Ron and Lavender will love their adopted children as much as their biological- since Lavender wanted to keep the ability to have biological children so badly, it must make a difference to her.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 17 . 8/26/2012
Prince Draco the Sulky- adorable, and so glad he probably won't actually go to Azkaban. And now that it's confirmed that Augusta is effectively Chattox and Device... that means she should be able to bail Hermione out from the Goblins, if need be, right? This is such a happy chapter.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 16 . 8/26/2012
momento mori in the second to last paragraph- should be memento. Also, it's so fascinating to read these events from another perspective, see Hermione from another perspective...
ilikebluepineapples chapter 15 . 8/26/2012
It's strange to think of how young Andromeda and Molly and the rest of that generation are. They had kids when they were in their young twenties, so they're barely forty now, in a world where people routinely live one and half centuries... they're very much /young/. In fact I'm surprised there aren't generations of grandparents and great-grandparents and great-great grandparents involved in all these family dramas... I suppose the wars provide a plot reason for them to not exist anymore, but otherwise that would be a serious failure of worldbuilding on Jo Rowling's part.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 14 . 8/26/2012
"She puts down the quill and accepts him from Ginny. "Oh, he'll do that if you hold him as if you're going to nurse him," she says. "He did that to Harry just last week."

Best image ever.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 13 . 8/26/2012
"not to look at her in that tone of voice" You always use this phrase, and I think it's terribly clever- not sure if you made it up or if it's a common saying...

I LOVE the idea of Pureblood courting being all about power. Strangely enough, I love it even more than I would have back when I was the ugly duckling in high school...
ilikebluepineapples chapter 12 . 8/26/2012
GAH THE AURORS WHYYYYY
My reviews for this fic are so much less coherent than for Amends. But suffice to say that I love it as much, although that's partly because Amends has made me attached to this world you've created.
606 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »