Reviews for A Garment of Brightness
austenbrontemeyer chapter 62 . 5/1/2015
(Did not realize I was not logged in so here it is logged in) Sooo... all of the Cullens are dead? Ok, hmmm...how exactly did that happen and why? I am sorry, however I feel a bit irritated having wasted my time hanging on for 62 chapters out of respect for the work you put forth at the outset. Your readers were never offered an informed decision which made sense. It feels as if you wanted to keep going, and going, and going, and going on, dragging what was an intriguing story into the muck for 62 chapters so you would have something to occupy your time. You should have shelved the 40 or so chapters surrounding its midpoint and accomplished a similar bomb, yet with so much less time wasted. Once again a writer has gone for the shock value instead of a tragic yet well thought out close. I think in the 5 years I have been reading here, only this particular story and one other out of hundreds have been awarded the dubious distinction of, "ass kicker". That is, not in a, "Wow, this story kicks ass!", kind of way but more of a, "I could just kick my own ass for continuing to read on and on and on and on, well after the thing should have been put down by the nearest 12 gauge.
Austenbrontemeye chapter 62 . 5/1/2015
Sooo... all of the Cullens are dead? Ok, how exactly did that happen and why? I am sorry however I feel a bit irritated having wasted my time hanging on for 62 chapters out of respect for the work you put forth at the outset. Your readers were never offered an informed decision which made sense. It feels as if you wanted to keep going, and going, and going, and going on, dragging what was an intriguing story into the muck for 62 chapters so you would have something to occupy your time. You should have shelved the 40 or so chapters surrounding its midpoint and accomplished a similar bomb, yet with so much less time wasted. Once again a writer has gone for the shock value instead of a tragic yet well thought out close. I think in the 5 years I have been reading here, only this particular story and one other out of hundreds have been awarded the dubious distinction of, "ass kicker". That is, not in a, "Wow, this story kicks ass!", kind of way but more of a, "I could just kick my own ass for continuing to read on and on and on and on, well after the thing should have been put down by the nearest 12 gauge.
jk chapter 20 . 4/28/2015
why would she want to take some home remedy from a dude that hates her? I fucking wouldn't. id have just thrown that bag in the trash cause really who really knows what all that crap was. olive branch my ass
this story is really about nothing...were 20 chapters in and all that's happened is bella moved to forks and Edward glares at her and now she has a cold...that's all that's happened in 20 chapters...did you think you were doing something here?
jk chapter 18 . 4/28/2015
I really don't get why bella thinks about assward so often...she shouldn't think about his rude ass at all
jk chapter 17 . 4/28/2015
bellas not hot? then what is she since all the guys are fantasizing about her
jk chapter 16 . 4/28/2015
what was the point of that chapter...you coulda just wrote my brothers and sisters took me hunting. Emmett was excited that we might find a bar and we ate some sheep. instead you wrote about nothing paragraph after paragraph and bored the crap outta me
jk chapter 15 . 4/28/2015
I hope im a needle in his eye...wow did she get that from the school of seriously stupid things to say about people that are mean to you
jk chapter 14 . 4/28/2015
I really don't like the way you have Emmett talk...he wasn't just fucking changed. but you have him talking like he was just changed and is still some kind of backwoods trapper or something...fuckin stupid

and I absolutely hate how arrogant Edward is, I want bella to not like him and tell him to fuck off...and MEAN IT
jk chapter 8 . 4/28/2015
what was this bullshit about?
jk chapter 6 . 4/28/2015
so let me get this straight shes new and she goes to sit down and some guy points at her and say she stinks and she doesn't say anything...then goes to the bathroom and crys? yaaaa that's likely!
why? why would you have her say nothing? she shoulda said

nah hes just embarrassed, when I walked up to the table I saw that he had a erection and now he knows I know how tiny his peen is...

ya he wants to move cause I smell like a women...and he hates that

let him move I do smell. I used my dads shampoo and I remind Edward of his last boyfriend

he thinks all women should smell like his mom, hes into that

I mean something! but no you have her go cry in the bathroom like a total pussy
j chapter 1 . 4/28/2015
did you really write a whole chapter on what the scenery looks like...first chapter and its already boring as hell
yagalinus0420 chapter 62 . 2/24/2015
Oh my word...are they really dead? Please tell me they lived! I so need more!
Anna chapter 23 . 2/5/2015
I love the story, the Bella/Edward is perfect. Alice and Bellas future friendship is sweet. Rose seems in cannon, Jasper and Carlisle as well... so I cant figure out why Emmit has either a thick Irish brogue or is a little retarded. why is he saying "ye " and "less'n" and reckn? I'm truly baffled. Was there an authors note that I missed explaining this?
gpoy chapter 1 . 1/31/2015
Hi,

I am a 26-year-old law student from London. I am writing a love letter to you because I wanted you to know how much I enjoyed reading this.

It's the 31 January 2015. It's been a year since you posted a chapter but there's still a chance that you're not quite finished with this, so here we go…

To be honest, I had this story bookmarked for a long time. I seem to remember that I started reading it once, maybe twice and then… maybe other things got in the way. Maybe I was too impatient for the sudden changes in point of view. Maybe I couldn't be bothered to figure out what was going on in the nature scenes so I closed the tab and forgot about it. I never made it past chapter 12 or 13.

Honestly, that was my loss. Or maybe it wasn't. This is not a story for racing through to get to the instant gratification. It's not a story that you can get through with minimal emotional commitment. I couldn't just sit back and passively accept.

I gave up on this story before because I wasn't in the mental space where I was prepared to give the time and effort and on some level I knew that you, the writer, wasn't prepared to compromise on the reader's attention. This writing asks for a level of involvement from the reader. It's the kind of story that coaxes you to slow down, look around and rewards you for doing it.

The best kind.

I feel now that I couldn't have read this story three or four years ago because I was too immature. I would not have appreciated the depth and complexity of the images. I would not have been able to connect with the emotions (especially the ones you give to Edward.) I would have rankled at some of the murderous impulses exhibited by the Cullen family. I wouldn't have understood the confusion of the whole situation.

I probably still can't fully appreciate everything going on in this story. I hope I will come back to it in another 5 years and find a dozen more layers. I realise now that A Garment of Brightness is perfect.

I felt like these past few chapters were a turning point in the story. The themes started coming together. One of the themes that I adored was the salmon. I loved now you picked up the thread of the salmon again here. The description of them earlier in the story was so beautiful and the reflection of the salmon struggling to breathe with the description of the tubes and the tracheostomy…

Every twist in this story is surprising and elegant. Your language is so subtle, but it evokes such intense emotions. What's more, the emotions are often the ones I recognise in myself but haven't been able to vocalise. I haven't been able to race through this story impatiently because I've had to stop so many times and just breathe and imagine and think "Wow, yes that it exactly how I have felt."

Since the first chapter, the main thing I have felt is an overwhelming longing. I long for some kind of resolution, but at the same time, the longing feeling is so lovely.

This one will stay with me.

Thank you so much.
stephi910 chapter 62 . 12/30/2014
just found this story...was really enjoying it, but def didn't expect it to take the turn that it did...really hoping to see more of it, tho it looks like it's been a while since it's been updated...if you're not going to finish, do you mind letting me know how u envisioned it ending? it's killing me not knowing! ;)
3,612 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »