Reviews for Oceans Apart
BiblioMatsuri chapter 1 . 10/4/2012
Yeah, the song definitely fit. Now I'm choked up. Beautiful. *claps*
ticking-clocks8 chapter 1 . 7/6/2011
I love this one-shot! Its so beautifully tragic, it made me bawl like a little girl- not even remotely kidding. Can't wait to read your other stories! :D
limevox chapter 1 . 7/17/2010
For such a great story, I can't believe there is only 16 reviews. The format and content and style of writing which you have presented within this sorry is impeccable and beautiful at it's core. You have actually told a story, you have described and basically created a piece of art which results in this story. You have obviously thought this story through, and you definitely knew what you want, and this is evident in your characters and their development throughout the story.

Firstly, Gin is a difficult character to grasp let alone interpret and write a full story about. Yet you have adopted so many traits and ideals of the character as well as giving the character an extra uniqueness which you personally provide. You have thoroughly created a three dimensional character. And successfully.

You should be very proud of this story. This story is definitely one to remember forever. Original and outstanding. It doesn't matter if you have little reviews. This story is one that every fanfiction writers wish to achieve and only some actually succeed. You, are of high respect to me, and you have definitely succeeded.
cy-grl chapter 1 . 4/24/2010
OH damn, this is so beautiful 3

So sad, but so perfect.
Plastic Roses chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Aw, that's so sad! D: But really touching at the same time.
God and the Fox chapter 1 . 1/25/2010
This is...heartbreaking. I've never been a GinxRan fan, but this piece captures the essence of their relationship so well. By the end of this, I could feel Gin's grief as poignantly as if it were my own. This is absolutely stunning.
Lady Azura chapter 1 . 1/11/2010
Well... "hiswendy" pretty much said everything I wanted to say, so there really isn't much left for me other than... great job.
bells-mannequin chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
great oneshot!
Ladye chapter 1 . 12/26/2009
Sadly beautiful and very well done.
sheepeater chapter 1 . 12/24/2009
Stunning. You captured Gin's character perfectly. Oh the irony, of him unknowinkly completing the task he so desperately tried to avoid.

Sora
hiswendy chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
I'm not going to make much sense in this comment, so I'm sorry in advance. First of all, I want to praise you on your writing. There's a hint of sarcasm in the narration, perfectly matching with Gin's usually mocking persona. The focalization of Gin's perspective through an omniscient voice, laying out his entire psychology- on the battle, on Aizen, on the Arrancar, on Rangiku-, and his constant reference to Rangiku as "Ran" rather than the formal "Matsumoto" are all too endearing and engaging. You've given him depth, complexity and roundness that Kubo Tite (sorry to say) forgets to establish, but the character you've set up for Gin (in terms of fear, doubt, anxieties) can still be applied to the actual character from the series (I think). You took his character and built it up into one applicable to the series. That's not easy to do. Indeed I've never seen anyone do it (successfully), before you. Moreover, you've composed this story in a logical, organized way. You mapped out his innermost desires then its consequences, so on and so forth. It just flows without static. And of course, it doesn't hurt that your vocabulary and sentence arrangements are not constricted to "He follows Aizen. He loves Rangiku". No, no, instead you say: "Sousuke Aizen may have been the one man who had Gin’s loyalty and respect, but there was one person in three worlds that he loved..." and let me just tell you that the latter half of that statement had me squealing. It's so touching to know that irregardless of how many worlds in which Gin resides, there will always be that one person in his heart. All in all, your writing is impeccable.

Moving from the form, I want to commend you on the content.

I always wondered if Gin would be categorized as a psychopath (in real scientific terms). Due to that I was happy that the logical, scientific meaning is finally applied properly: "It was a wonder he hadn’t ended up a complete psychopath, though there were some schools of thought back in the Soul Society that insisted he was nothing short of a deranged sadist. He knew this only through word of mouth (no one was going to say it to the psychopath’s face after all) and he could admit, he had considered whether there was any accuracy to the statement." Eventually I always decide that Gin isn't a psychopath, since no real psychopath can really* love so I wasn't surprised with: "However, as far as he was concerned, the fact that he was capable of caring about Rangiku so deeply was a fairly clear indictor that he wasn’t completely psychotic." I was perfectly satisfied. However, you went above and beyond my own ideas with: "Anyone in their right mind loved Ran, with her fire, her sheer exuberance, her beauty and her strength." Gin here, I take, is literally putting Rangiku at the highest pedestal and using her as the measurement of sanity! After reading that passage, I had to pause and gape because the sentiment is just overwhelmingly touching. His reason for not considering himself a psychopath is not even simply that he can feel, it's that he can feel for her. Besides the intensity of his love for her, his longing for her is so moving (albeit he's quite selfish as seen when it is stated that "there had always been a part of him that had hoped that she would follow him into the dark"). "As long as he knew that he was the centre of her universe, as she was his, even if he couldn’t be near her he could live with himself. He couldn’t lose that, not after everything he’d been through..." His connection with Rangiku is really his one true connection to humanity. And when he loses his place in her heart to Toushiro, he becomes savage and merciless, literally letting the beastly side of him take over. Furthermore, the whole unifying idea/theme (basically Gin's fear, love, and hope for her) heart-wrenching. I absolutely loved this: "It was over, it seemed, and Rangiku was still there, still alive. And she would live, he knew that now, and continue to fight, drink, avoid her paperwork, and brighten the world around her. He couldn’t help but think that, now that everything had fallen apart and he lay dying, that in itself made it all worth it." Even though his side had lost and failed their mission, and he was dying, his one innermost wish/mission is fulfilled. His love will live, and "that in itself made it all worth it". It's as if Rangiku's life is more precious than anything else in the world. Indeed, as you've portrayed here, to Gin, she is more important than anything else in the world. The fact that he would commit every sin imaginable to man, except for hurting her, just shows how much Gin loves her.

As for Aizen, I hate his guts in the series and I hate him here. I'm sad that Gin didn't succeed in fooling him. I'm sad that Gin believed him.

As for Toushiro, as much as I love him, I don't want him with Rangiku. I believe Rangiku is meant to be with Gin ALWAYS! However, the way you presented their relationship and the hinted inevitability of her falling for him (who wouldn't?), made it seem so plausible and just- the right way to go. I still don't like it because GinRan is perfection, but it also works well.

Finally I thought you should know that reading about Gin's death has made me cry. No lie, I cried- especially while reading this part: "Drawing a ragged breath, Gin felt his eyes close and the memories surge to the surface. He could see himself - a pale, skinny boy with silver hair, as he threw apples down to a little girl who eagerly gathered them all up, pushing her red curls out of the way and behind her ears so that she could start to eat. He watched that same girl, several years later, climbing that same tree to find him and together they watched the fireworks in the nearby district. He could feel her beside him, shivering uncontrollably in the tiny thin-walled shack with the snow falling thick and fast outside, and he could remember the smile that had crossed his face when she had curled up even closer to him. He could see her as a teenager now, all long limbs and burgeoning curves, dressed in a pale blue yukata and leaping about, trying to catch the falling cherry blossoms. Her icy blue eyes were alight and some of the flowers had become caught in her wild curls. The next memory came after he had disappeared on her for years, rather than his usual months or weeks. She was a grown woman now, dressed in an academy uniform to his lieutenant’s badge, a bittersweet smile on her face as he stared at her in shock, and her musical voice calling out,“Didn’t think I’d find you, didja Gin?”" The very last words from Rangiku, as imagined by him, make it that much more heartbreaking because this time we know she never will find him again...

And his dying thoughts: "He could see it all playing through his head, more real than his current surroundings. He didn’t question it – she had always been more real to him than anything else in his life. He watched her, her face grimly determined as she lofted Haineko and wheeled around to face yet another hollow. He sensed but didn’t seethe hurt inevitability on her face as he walked away once again, resolutely keeping his back to her. He could almost smell her scent again, remembering the way her lips felt against his and how she tasted of persimmons."

GIN, I LOVE YOU. GINRAN, YOU'RE LOVE. OCEANS APART, I LOVE YOU. VICIOUX, YOU'RE LOVE.

I'm sorry for writing so much... is it obvious how much I LOVE this story? I wanted to favorite it 500 times, but ff only allows the action once.
TK Grimm chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
Ah, brilliant. I like that we get to see the full take on that final battle. I'm so glad you started the next story in your series! Truly, I can't wait to see where this one goes. I must say, you have a knack for detail and making your stories stand out from regular fanfiction. Please update soon!

TK
abilityPOINT chapter 1 . 12/6/2009
OMG ONLY 6 REVIEWS FOR SUCH AN AMAZING STORY? This is one of THE best GinRan fics I've ever read, let alone a one-shot! *faves*
Nagasasu chapter 1 . 12/5/2009
Oh goodness, that was tragic. I had this horrible sinking feeling when Gin began to fight Ichigo, and! You have successfully pulled at my heart. Heck, I don't even ship Hitsumatsu, but I felt incredibly bad for Gin. And, and! Yes, excellent writing; I'm afraid I've been reduced to being unable to review properly.
errihu chapter 1 . 12/3/2009
Wow. This is... incredibly touching. You've captured a side of Gin we don't often see - the real, human side of him, as opposed to the inscrutable maniac. Well done!