Reviews for Old Roads: Fearful Symmetries
BlackLeatherRain chapter 8 . 6/22/2011
Your Old Roads series is proving to be absolutely fantastic. You have a gift, and a fascinating insight into the lives of these people. I read your story in the same way I view a beautiful and intricately designed celtic knot. Thank you for sharing these!
Solitae chapter 7 . 3/29/2011
I absolutely love the idea of a mage having his or her templar. That strikes me as all kinds of right and fitting, and it really gets to the heart of some of my thoughts about mages and templars.

Cullen finding his place is incredibly satisfying, and this whole story is lovely.

I saw an update to it on People of Thedas, and now I'm going through the whole set. It's quite poetic and evocative, incredibly well done.
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 8 . 2/28/2011
how sweet
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 7 . 2/28/2011
I love how you did the mabari
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 6 . 2/28/2011
I have a feeling the worst is yet to come
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 5 . 2/28/2011
it's good to have Leli back
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 4 . 2/28/2011
I could see Zev disposing of a few Wardens during that fight lol
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 3 . 2/28/2011
yeah this could get ugly fast
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 2 . 2/28/2011
they are going to kill Kathil
Raven Jadewolfe chapter 1 . 2/28/2011
poor Alistair
Rhiononon chapter 8 . 10/12/2010
And here I go skippity onto the next. This was just as splendid as the first part of Old Roads!
Lehni chapter 4 . 8/23/2010
Oh, Kathil's response to the court martial was /brilliant/, and wonderfully written. I do prefer the Order being positive about blood magic, like Duncan was, but can accept that some Commanders might have different views (e.g. Alistair if he'd remained with the Order). Zev thinking about how to kill people was spot on. So practical!
Lehni chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
Just finished reading 'Waking Hours' (I love Vienna Teng too!) Kathil seems interesting; I like the fact that she specced Arcane Warrior for a change and the old magic/old roads looks intriguing. I do hope she ends up meeting Morrigan eventually, since Urthemiel (if s/he survived being born) would be a toddler by now. (It'll probably take me a few days/weeks to catch up with the rest of the series, but I'll get there eventually…) I'm also curious to see Warden!Cullen come up again - his POV section was quite touching. It's easy to forget that templars are imprisoned as much by their vows/duty as the mages are by the Chantry, and you brought that up nicely.

Zev... I have a soft spot for him and really enjoyed your writing of him in Part 1; looking forward to seeing their relationship develop. (Also Lorn was adorable. Awww. Kathil smells like lightning? That's cute).

Anyway, so this chapter I'm supposed to be reviewing - omg, /Alistair/. How much do I want to slap him right now? Seeing him and baby!Duncan was quite cute, but that aside, omg he has absolutely no /right/ to feel /anything/ about who Kathil may or may not have a relationship with. Honestly. It's been (two?) years; he needs to get over himself. Argh. Soooo annoyed. :( (I usually don't have anything against him that much, but really he needs to grow up some more). Presumably he'll get over the knee-jerk reaction (and I assume he wouldn't have minded so much if Amell had been with, say Cullen instead of Zev). I'm just a little sad that I didn't get to see the Amell/Zev relationship sort of officially 'begin', but I don't know if you're going to revisit that with flashbacks or if the focus here is more on where it takes them.

Oh and I liked that Amell left Alistair behind to face the broodmother. (Not sure if I read that here first - her logic for the decision sounded familiar for some reason). Although why anyone would want to go /back/ to the Deep Roads, knowing what was down there is beyond me (what if she returned with Alistair and he was killed by the darkspawn before her so couldn't give her the final blow himself? Presumably she would have some sort of suicide method handy, but even the best plans can go astray).
arysani chapter 8 . 8/10/2010
It's so strange - I readily admit that it's hard for me to wrap my mind around Zev!romances. He is definitely protective of her, and the other POVs you use very clearly insinuate that there is more to it on his end than just friendship and a few rolls in the hay, but he has little or no interest in complicating them like that.

Then we get to Cullen. I think it depends on the fic and the writer, but you definitely give me fuzzy feelings for Cullen/Amell, and the image of the two of them, curled up facing each other on his bed, just TALKING is so amazingly perfect...

And I can't decide if I'm all okay with her playing both men...I think both of them deserve all of her, but that neither should have to share...so yeah. Conflicted. (But maybe that's because I've a monogamous heart?)
arysani chapter 4 . 8/10/2010
What a canny lie! And trips so easily off the tongue...makes me a little sad that Alistair still hadn't come to terms with who she really was until that moment, but it had to be done. Fine work :oD