Reviews for Bamboo
Murazor chapter 22 . 7/13
Brevity is the soul of wit.

That's a truth all too often lost in fanfiction, as well as other forms of electronic literature, that don't need to worry about the physical size of a paper book or some such and, as a result, frequently become overlarge.

Bamboo tells a limited story, but it tells it well, and while there is perhaps a certain lack of detail or a lack of resolution for some few plot threads (such as the fate of your main character's fate) those are things that can be considered extraneous to the tale you wanted to tell.

So, yeah, good work.
JadeOokami chapter 22 . 10/23/2010
Okay. Well, I'll admit that I skipped a lot of chapters - as much as I like your writing style, Kia Min just isn't a character I want to read an extended story about. But I really do like your style, your dialog in particular. I liked your characterizations, (Especially Sky's and Wu's).

The last two chapters were definitely my favorite. I loved the sort of connections you showed between Sky and Wu even though you never wrote them together. It would have been awesome if Kia Min had been able to meet them all and seen how they all interate with eachother.

Anyways, it was fun reading, especially since there's so few Jade Empire fanfiction. Thanks for writing it!
Y St. Ace chapter 16 . 8/8/2010
Thanks so much for continuing! I really enjoy seeing the Empire from the view of someone who knew the main character but wasn't involved in the main storyline.
The Outlander chapter 15 . 5/11/2010
Whoa, classic cliffhanger, one I often use myself! Sorry to review this late, but I figured one review is better than none.

Anyway, I did expect Kia Min to be a little bit more 'kick ass', but it's good you're not making her TOO powerful, I guess. She's not Wu after all, who would've whooped those Lotus butts for sure!

Anyway, I'm wondering what the twist will be. Obviously Min isn't dead (the flashforward in the beginning gave it away), so the surprise lies in your brilliant storytelling. All's fine with me, as long as she does not become a crazed spirit or undergoes the same ceremony of revival the game's protagonist went through. I'm sure you can come up with something better than that! :-)

What did confuse me was how much time has actually passed within the story. I had no idea we were already at the stage where Wu has been struck down by her former Master (a revelation which will undoubtedly shock Kia Min, if she ever finds out that is). But now that's all cleared up. it's good that you mentoned it, gives us some kind of orientation within the overall timeline.

Anyway, good job as always, here's hoping you'll update soon!
The Outlander chapter 11 . 3/25/2010
Yay, Darting Lynx! I always liked her, even though she played a really minor role. She did have some awesome techniques for sale, though.

It's certainly fun to read about all those minor characters. It helps in letting the town and the Empire come to life. And that's why I love Bamboo!

You also have an eye for detail, I think. Like letting Kia Min finish her tea. Most writers would simply forget about that. You don't. Excellent!

Anyway, I'm curious to read about Min and Lynx. I do hope the story won't simply become a pursuit of Wu and her gang, but something tells me you have something far better planned anyway!

Looking forward to the next chapter!
The Outlander chapter 9 . 3/15/2010
Okay, a tad late but whatever...

Cat'sd out of the bag I guess, and things are really speeding up. I'm just hoping it won't go too fast. But Kia Min still has a long way to go, so that's quite alright.

I like Kia Min's father, he seems the quiet, wise, gentle, understanding kind of dad. And the revelation about his brother's history and current occupations were very well thought of.

Good job as always!
The Outlander chapter 8 . 3/5/2010
Yeah! More frequent updates... Like hearing it'll be Christmas three times a year!

As I expected, Kia Min made short work of her big brother. She wouldn't have earned the title of protagonist by losing, so that's no real surprise. But it was still fun to read.

Kia Min's contemplations are also fun. And this story had more than one reference to the game. Which is why I believe the plot is starting to thicken.

The Lotus Assassins are starting to come into play, and the truth about Two Rivers' fate will soon be revealed, so there are some interesting things ahead of us. And with Kia Min's uncle involved in all this, a family feud or something of the likes might be coming. Anyway, you're the writer, I'm just guessing things here :p

But seeing how Kia Jong inquired after Min's general health in the Lotus Assassin fortress, I'm also guessing they're never going to meet face to face.

So many things about to happen and I can't wait to read about them all! Please update soon!
The Outlander chapter 7 . 2/23/2010
Another great chapter. It comes in small doses, this story. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Certainly no overkill and always eager anticipation, but I sometimes feel a bit unfulfilled. But that's just because it's so good!

Nice to finally meet Kia Min's family. The confusion about Kia Min's arrival was very well done. Kia Min reacted a bit less panicy than I'd've expected, but maybe it's just her nature. Though I wonder why she's delaying the revelation concerning Two Rivers' destruction.

Wei is a really nice man. A bit too nice maybe, but not so that he suddenly turns out to be a greater demon or cannibal. I'm happy to see he got what he deserved: some peace and something to look forward to.

One Stone is mentioned in the game as well but was never really used in it, so it's nice to see it here. I did a small bit about how One Stone was founded in my Jade Empire fanfic (which I still haven't entriely given up on) so that goes to show a fandom can really deepen out certain aspects the game didn't.

Looking forward to the next chapter. As always. I'm expecting Kia Min to kick the living hell out of her brother.

Great job!
Y St. Ace chapter 5 . 1/29/2010
I really like it! I like what you are doing with Kia Min, who I thought probably had an interesting story to tell. My only quibble is the chapters are too short (for me in any case!)
The Outlander chapter 5 . 1/21/2010
Whoops, forgot to review! So sorry!

Kia Min's definitely maturing every single chapter and that will shape her into the person Sky wants to take over the Guild, I think. So as far as character build-ups go, this is a pretty good example! Her emotions as well as her lust for justice had a tremendous climax. I never thought Kia Min would resort to that, but as I read it, I just rubbed my hands and thought "aight".

I got a mixed feeling about Yao Hong, though. He actually seemed to genuinely believe he was doing the right thing. That he was helping these people. Reminds me of the plot in Assassin's Creed, where the templars are evil, yet they believe they are making the world a better place and help the people. I don't know if you're going to adress this in future chapters, but I would most certainly like it! Poses an interesting moral issue, no?

Anyway, since it's almost a week since the last update, why don't you... update right away? I'm lovin' it!
The Outlander chapter 4 . 1/6/2010
One thing that strikes me is how good you are at coming up with names. That really is something I'm awful at, I don't know how you do it. Wayfarer Wei, Yao Hong, Little Qing,... So good! And it makes the story so much more natural and credible.

Anyway, the story still seems to be in its early stages, which is good (it means there are lots more chapters to come, hopefully). I like where it is going, anyway, and Kia Min is a very amiable character. She is, to quote Dawn Star, "compassionate as well as strong". I do hope she proves herself to be a true hero; though I have no doubt she eventually will. Or maybe that's the twist you're cooking up. I don't know, and it only makes me more anxious to read the next chapter! Update sooner next time, yes? :-) Please? For me, your biggest fan? XD

No, seriously, great job.
The Outlander chapter 3 . 12/23/2009
Awesome-tastic.

I normally never do this, but reading these chapters I often times just sat back and let it all come over me, replaying the events as if they were a movie. Absolutely amazing, and you're only three chapters far! I curse myself for not reading and reviewing all of it sooner. You phrase everything so well, I'm really 'wow'ed by your ability to make a beautiful event out of the most simple and trivial actions (like curling your toes).

As for the story itself, it's of a BioWare standard. Go and write the official novels, you!

Oh, and 'Wayfarer Wei' is just the most Jade Empire-istic name I've ever heard outside of the game (at least, I think it is).

I got the feeling this is kind of a sequel to 'Garden of Two Rivers'. Or more of a spiritual successor, like Dragon Age to Baldur's Gate. Not in the least because it is very Kia Min-focused. Because I've read GoTR, I already care very much for Kia Min and that certainly helps me enjoy the story even more! Reading this without GoTR in my head would've been like playing DA without having the Origin story. Still excellent, but less identification with the main character.

Can hardly wait for the coming chapters, tbh. Please, do update soon!