Reviews for What We Were
junipper chapter 17 . 9/26/2014
I just finished reading this series ! I don't know how I managed to skip this one, but I read all three main Cullen parts and finished with this sweet story and even though I got them mixed up, I'm kind of glad it went this way.

I cannot manage to even begin to tell you how impressed I was by this series. It is so well written and reading it was like reading a set of novels that I curled around for at least a week - sneaking moments during breakfast and on the bus and even downtime at work because I couldn't stop myself from reading! It was so beautiful, the whole thing, and each chapter had me blown away because you are so freaking talented and everything was so well thought out and blended incredibly well and ahhhh.

Therrin is such an amazing warden and I love how you've written her. All of her strengths and weaknesses and her odd humour and intelligence are at this top-tier standard that makes her likeable and realistic, and from the moment we found her feeling sorry for herself on the floor of the tower library I just knew that this was going to be a good story. I also love how you've written Dog, very very cute and Stephen was lovely and you've done such a good job and I could gush for days. Months. Years. Print myself out a copy and make it into a personal book I can read forever, maybe.

Getting through the main parts of this series and coming to a rest with finding out Alistairs got that rose still tucked away in his desk made my heart seize up I actually could have cried - Christ, I am still reeling from how put together this whole thing is. Cullen and Therrin are just the sweetest couple - and it's beautiful how you've stuck them together. You wrote him rather well too, and the way you've written their feelings and thoughts were just perfect. The storyline just makes sense to me, which is excellent. (Also your sex scenese are very beautiful and not just a rush of awkward smut, such a breather from the usual kind)

Sorry for jamming this all into one comment, little bit lazy to go comment individually, so I figured id spill it all here. All up, this story was so wonderful and I'm sad there's not more. There's so much more I could compliment you on but I'm worried that I'm just repeating myself, so all the praise to you and your betas for making this such a beautiful piece of work :) thank you very much for it all, I wish I could read it all over again and relive it all !
scipunx chapter 17 . 4/26/2014
This broke my heart. I love the innocence of it all at the beginning and how you even managed to make the darkest parts of the story have some sort of lighthearted humour which is just so Alistair. I'm looking forward to reading the other installments though I have a feeling that they'll leave me emotionally wrecked, haha!
MaiWishes chapter 5 . 11/4/2013
:O That was amazing and I snickered the whole way through. How good you got Alistair down is crazy like. Poor Therrin having to hear "Oghren said-!" Lol.
Guest chapter 3 . 11/4/2013
Its amazing how you bring the adventures to life. Ali is so cute
zsazsagabore chapter 15 . 8/1/2013
Sorry, I hit submit accidentally, I'm trying to submit this on my phone. Anyway, to continue from where I left off: Alistair's decision to go through with the ritual when he doesn't agree in principle or even believe it will work comes off as him once again playing puppet to your warden. It doesn't really gel considering what happens in "Done." If he is about his duty then possibly letting some kind of demon god out from the hell portal known as Morrigan's nethers to terrorize the land doesnt seem kingly or wardenly. The only reason I can see to do it would be if the romance were stil in play, overwhelming good judgement.

Again, you're a brilliant writer and I understand if you wanted to keep this canon and consistent with your playthrough but these are my thoughts.
zsazsagabore chapter 14 . 8/1/2013
I think you've done a brilliant job on this, but if I had one crticism it would be this chapter. I know that it's canon, but just like I felt that this decision wasn't properly defended in the game, I feel it's a bit out of character here, too.

I can see why Alistair would be fed up with your warden's influence, but without more build up to the blow-out it rings a little hollow. I feel like there should at least be a few signs of resentment building, even if only in private thoughts. Maybe a small outburst here or there to show that Alistair is his own man, even if he's not ready to confront Therrin yet. Outbursts aren't canon but privately we could still imagine doubts.

It also comes off as strange that he does this then later agrees to do the ritual. If Alistair is asserting his morals here to do what he thinks is his duty and overruling you, why would he then put his duty as a grey warden aside to save his life or yours? He doesn't even believe that Morrigan's plan will work so his decision comes off as h
pigeon chapter 6 . 4/1/2013
Oh God, I laughed so hard all the way through this! Honestly, this is the best thing ever! It's not just funny, it's also really damn good. You have a natural talent.
the-true-Freya chapter 1 . 3/11/2013
witty, funny and so freakin fab- love your writing :D
sadness1986 chapter 1 . 11/30/2012
I'm in love with your Alistair here. And the following events in the later installments broke my heart. I can't remember laughing so much and crying so bitterly about a story.
The characterisation is brilliant. The plot developement flawless, I just couldn't stop reading through the whole series in one go. One of the best stories written by a fan, that I have ever read and that's saying something after over ten years reading and writing.
Keep up the good work.
Guest chapter 17 . 11/12/2012
Jeezz... I cant remember the last time I laughed so hard over something I read. Thank you so much for sharing your gift. I think I will have tummy cramps for a week :-)
TheSodaVampire chapter 17 . 10/30/2012
This story breaks my poor mageling heart. Good job.
Everiel chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
I LOVE THIS! Now I have to go roll a mage...
Donna chapter 17 . 10/18/2012
I have only recently played DA:O. I am afraid to say I came to the game rather late. It is probably my favourite game of all time, mainly due to the great story and the characters.

The last chapters do make me sad as I have an incredibly soft spot for Alistair, I absolutely adore him. But I also love Cullen though (I have always had a fascination about the story between him and Amell as my PC is a female Mage). I am already looking forward to playing DA2.

Thank you for great stories. I have read the sequels too. So good, I couldn't put them down, causing me a few late nights!
Guest chapter 17 . 10/11/2012
This was brilliantly written!
I enjoyed your story immensely.
Now on to the sequel...

My thanks :)
naomis8329 chapter 17 . 10/1/2012
So sad, the way they parted and to think that they were once so close. But then when love breaks everything else tends to break with it.

A sad outcome and I'll now have to re-read the sequel to find out what happened again. A wonderful story. Thank you. Next