Reviews for Ignition
geckohawaii chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
I generally hate first person, but I realy enjoyed this fic! It's personal but not overly emotional(I guess it can't be with Hiko as the narrator, huh?). Bravo!
caseyedith chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Wow! What a powerful narrative. Absolutely excellent: Hiko's perspective, word choice, phrasing, movement... Everything is brilliant.

I love the idea of the light, the references to the moon, and the way Hiko calls Kenshin his son.

It's a very pleasant thought, to consider that Kenshin brought meaning to his master's life long before Tomoe or Kaoru brought meaning into his, and he into theirs. And it makes perfect sense that Kenshin would be this "bright light".

There were many, very touching moments in this. I was so wrapped up in it. I love the way you write Hiko; he's not just Kenshin's blunt master, but a man more like his apprentice than it would appear. You captured him perfectly, and shed even more light on his true character.
sueb262 chapter 1 . 2/20/2010
it's so hard to see hiko, of all the rk characters, so, well, /hurt/ like this. i thinks of him as the proverbial "island unto himself"-even at the moment of separation, when kenshin leaves him to descend (literally and figuratively) into the fray, he just turns his back and walks back into his hut.

but we /know/ his heart is broken, never heals. we /know/ he himself dies a little then, and, possibly, again every day after that. and you express that so wrenchingly in this piece.

it makes kenshin's reappearance all the more satisfying when that ray of sun/son-shine appears. (even if it /is/ via a deadly strike! O_o "boys and their toys", i guess...)
PraiseDivineMercy chapter 1 . 12/29/2009
I like your characterization of Hiko. This was very poignant.
Riku-Rocks chapter 1 . 12/12/2009
That was beautiful and bitter-sweet, yet very believable as well. The pace and style were suiting of the theme and character. I enjoyed it very much.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 12/8/2009
"I’ll leave this dying world to the moon for the moment."

That was my favorite line of the whole story. Near-poetic in its symbolism and captures Hiko's joy and renewal of hope at Kenshin's return. Nicely done.
The Wandering Pen chapter 1 . 12/5/2009
Wow, I think this really shines. It gives us a real look at the internal Hiko, past the mockery and arrogance, beyond cynicism. We all like to think that there's real affection in him for Kenshin, and you've really brought that out well. I like the way you've tied it to the beginning scene of Trust and Betrayal and how after Kenshin left him, he fell back into that brooding antisocialism. I truly like they way he wishes the world dies slowly enough that it outlasts him, so that he won't have to watch it in its death throes. I also like that all it takes is the return of the student to light his hope again, even knowing as we already do that Hiko is not going to spare Kenshin harsh words when they are necessary to point out his failings.

Excellent job. I was afraid that this site was falling prey to high schools and vampires. Nice to know that some authors still recognize the time, place, and essential nature of the characters and can apply them in a manner that adds depth to the original material. Thanks for sharing this.

Pen
AlterEgoSadist chapter 1 . 12/2/2009
This was a great story, very entertaining to read. I loved your take on Hiko's personality: Instead of an arrogant master who enjoys teasing his irritating baka deshi, you approached him from a different angle, shedding light onto his softer, more fatherly disposition, thinking about the son he's lost.

I also like the symbolism in this story: The coming and going of light and darkness, how it affects mankind and the state of the world. It gives the tale an almost poetic, surreal mood to the scene, very reflective and yet, at the same time, calming.

My favorite part? The last two lines. It summerizes the story up nicely. Overall, a wonderful piece, expertly written. I hope to read more RK fics from you in the future. Keep up the fantastic work!