Reviews for The Hope of Empty Men
Openhome chapter 1 . 1/8/2010
What a lovely twist on Dickens! Your understanding of the power of pain and forgiveness is wonderful, and I loved how the family became self-centered without their painful memories. Very well done!
Justine Lark chapter 1 . 12/20/2009
Your story is very well-written and the storyline is really interesting and different and creative. It's a bit tough to read... I adore and idealize the Cullens so much that I hate to think of them even having the potential for such bitter unkindness! But I really admire what you've done here.
jedit16 chapter 1 . 12/19/2009
I've never seen a fanfic take on a Dicken's Christmas story other than A Christmas Carol. There isn't a lot of variety in Christmas fics, so nice one on the originality.

Damn you, Edward.

"Too late!" he called mockingly.

Ah, brothers :D

Carlisle and Jasper's merits-of-Christmas debate was a great exploration of their characters. You always write those two so well. I loved the way Carlisle ruffled Jasper's hair when he left.

I could see Jasper making a creepy ghost. Amusing when he described the ghost as talking like Dickens' characters. Obviously he hasn't read the original source or he'd have known not to agree to the ghost's offer.

I actually found it kind of amusing when Esme described her vampire children as brats. It was so surreal to see her and Carlisle arguing. Rose and Emmett's argument was just horrible, and Edward and Jasper hurting Nessie was even worse. I was worried he was going to end up attacking Alice, and it was a relief to see that she was there to save the day.

The end confused me a little. So did the rest of the family all forget everything they'd just done, or was time changed so none of it really happened? Like presumably Nessie was bruised after being hit, so I wonder if that just disappeared. Maybe it could use a little more warm fuzziness at the end with the entire family, just to counteract the darkness in the middle.
annsteph chapter 1 . 12/4/2009
Thank you for an amazing piece of litature. The weaving of the Christmas songs with the story is well done. Jasper is so wrapped up in the things that have been in the past that he has trouble seeing the things that are the most important in the here and now. Moral of the story is becareful what you wish for because often times is not what you really want. The writing is exceptional as well as the concept. It is a great Christmas story for the season. Thank you for sharing your writing talent with us and giving us such a wonderful Christmas present.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday season and a prosperous new year!
realistjoker chapter 1 . 12/2/2009
Loved the story.
wandamarie chapter 1 . 12/2/2009
myppe chapter 1 . 12/2/2009
loved it!
Marrabelle chapter 1 . 12/1/2009
Wow! Well done! I have never read "The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain." Perhaps, I shall take a look at it. I really enjoyed your version! Brilliant writing on your part. I love the concept and the lesson learned. I am so pleased you used Jasper in this role! Perfect! I was also very pleased with the ending, but I won't give anything away in the review to ruin it for others! :D

Great Cullen Christmas Story. :) Thank you!